Posted to alt.home.repair
Gordon Shumway Gordon Shumway is offline

Default Help identify sink drain pipe connection?

On Sun, 29 Apr 2012 19:12:55 -0400, wrote:

I'm planning on connecting the drain of a newly installed sink and I
know I need the tail pipe and p trap but I need to connect to the
existing drain pipe. The house was built in the northeast US in 1965.
Can anyone PLEASE identify the type of connector required to mate up
to this drain?
http://www.fdcx.net/pix/drain.jpg

It appears that there might be a piece of the old drain still
inserted. What is recommended to make this connection?

Thanks all - signed (NOT a plumber but too cheap to call one)

You are admittedly too cheap to call a plumber and too inexperienced
to know what you're looking at so here is my $0.02.

C A L L A P L U M B E R ! !

Obviously you're going to screw up your attempt to fix the problem.
This could result in a continuous small leak that will lead to mold or
worse or... in dealing with the copper you could catch something on
fire and then your drain issue will be the least of your worries. In
the long run a plumber will be much cheaper.