Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Cord of firewood: terms n' prices

I usta live in CA, where a cord of oak went fer about $200. I now
live in Colorado and CO has no native hardwoods. Pine and Aspen go
fer about $200 cord, but a buddy sez all the "cords", hereabouts, are
"face cords". ????

I never heard of a "face cord" and wiki defines them as, roughly,
one-third of a full cord of wood. $180-$200 fer a third of a cord!?
......of pine!!!??? I'm used to my buddy being dead wrong about many
things. What say the Western hommies?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cord_(unit)

Where do you live and what are you paying ....for what unit of
measure?

nb
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/3/2016 7:45 PM, notbob wrote:
I usta live in CA, where a cord of oak went fer about $200. I now
live in Colorado and CO has no native hardwoods. Pine and Aspen go
fer about $200 cord, but a buddy sez all the "cords", hereabouts, are
"face cords". ????

I never heard of a "face cord" and wiki defines them as, roughly,
one-third of a full cord of wood. $180-$200 fer a third of a cord!?
.....of pine!!!??? I'm used to my buddy being dead wrong about many
things. What say the Western hommies?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cord_(unit)

Where do you live and what are you paying ....for what unit of
measure?

nb

I see my guy here in Delaware is selling a cord for $240-290, mixed-oak.
Off hand a cord of wood maybe weights 2 tons so if they deliver in a
pickup truck is is most likely less than a cord.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/3/2016 6:45 PM, notbob wrote:
I usta live in CA, where a cord of oak went fer about $200. I now
live in Colorado and CO has no native hardwoods. Pine and Aspen go
fer about $200 cord, but a buddy sez all the "cords", hereabouts, are
"face cords". ????

I never heard of a "face cord" and wiki defines them as, roughly,
one-third of a full cord of wood. $180-$200 fer a third of a cord!?
.....of pine!!!??? I'm used to my buddy being dead wrong about many
things. What say the Western hommies?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cord_(unit)

Where do you live and what are you paying ....for what unit of
measure?

Caveat emptor. . . When you buy a cord you need to ensure that you're
both talking about the same thing.

Here in the Midwest (NW of Chicago near the Illinois-Wisconsin line)
most all the sellers I've seen have been very specific in that they are
selling/pricing either a full or face cord.

Full cord is properly stacked and consists of three stacks of 16" long
wood, 8' wide and 4' high. A face cord is just one such stack.

Depending on whether oak, maple, etc the prices for a face cord will be
anywhere from ~ $90 to $150 delivered.

My supplier doesn't cut down trees but "harvests" dead fall that's
pre-seasoned in situ (laying on the ground where it fell.) He'll go in
and cut it up and split it and leave it sit to further season for
another 3 to 6 months.

I get a full cord (generous) of mixed hardwoods for $310 delivered and
neatly stacked. I haven't seen $200 cords of oak (no stacking) for a
good 12 years.

I'd keep looking if I couldn't get hardwoods. That price seems
unreasonable to me for softwood.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Unquestionably Confused wrote:
[...]

I pay whatever the gas to cut it up costs me ... plus the labor to split
and stack . But then I live in a clearing out in the woods . Up here in
North central Arkansas a rick is defined as half a cord , and sells for
between $45 and $65 delivered . That's unseasoned oak/hickory/other
hardwoods . Could be fresh cut trees or dead wood or a mix .

--
Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/3/2016 7:45 PM, notbob wrote:
I usta live in CA, where a cord of oak went fer about $200. I now
live in Colorado and CO has no native hardwoods. Pine and Aspen go
fer about $200 cord, but a buddy sez all the "cords", hereabouts, are
"face cords". ????

I never heard of a "face cord" and wiki defines them as, roughly,
one-third of a full cord of wood. $180-$200 fer a third of a cord!?
.....of pine!!!??? I'm used to my buddy being dead wrong about many
things. What say the Western hommies?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cord_(unit)

Where do you live and what are you paying ....for what unit of
measure?

nb

Face cord is a stack 4' x 8' x 16" instead of 4' People that burn the
fireplace on Christmas often buy a small amount like that.

I can get a full cord of hardwood, cut, split, delivered for $200 to $250

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/03/2016 05:45 PM, notbob wrote:
I never heard of a "face cord" and wiki defines them as, roughly,
one-third of a full cord of wood. $180-$200 fer a third of a cord!?
.....of pine!!!??? I'm used to my buddy being dead wrong about many
things. What say the Western hommies?

I don't know about Colorado prices but you'd better get used to pine,
doug fir, and larch. Except for the ornamental maples in town that
somebody might miss the only 'hardwood' around here is cottonwood. The
beavers love it, and it's a nice shade tree, but that's all it's good for.

There may be wood for sale in this area but it usually involves a Stihl
and a ton of wood in a half ton pickup. It can get expensive. A friend
of mine had the right idea; cut on the uphill side of the road so you
can roll the rounds down to the road. It was working slicker than snot
until one bounced wrong and took out the passenger side of his rig.

Posted to alt.home.repair

notbob wrote in :

I usta live in CA, where a cord of oak went fer about $200. I now
live in Colorado and CO has no native hardwoods. Pine and Aspen go
fer about $200 cord, but a buddy sez all the "cords", hereabouts, are
"face cords". ????

A cord is a stack of wood 4' high by 8' long by 4' wide, the 4' width being usually either three
16" logs or two 24" logs.

A "face cord" is a stack of wood 4' high by 8' long by one log wide, however long the logs
happen to be cut. This is usually about 16", but I've seen them as short as 12".

I never heard of a "face cord" and wiki defines them as, roughly,
one-third of a full cord of wood. $180-$200 fer a third of a cord!?
.....of pine!!!??? I'm used to my buddy being dead wrong about many
things. What say the Western hommies?

This Midwestern homie says your buddy is right on the money.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cord_(unit)

Where do you live and what are you paying ....for what unit of
measure?

Can't help you there -- I've had enough of my own trees come down that I haven't had to buy
firewood for at least 15 years. I have no idea what it's going for now.
Posted to alt.home.repair

rbowman wrote in :

I don't know about Colorado prices but you'd better get used to pine,
doug fir, and larch. Except for the ornamental maples in town that
somebody might miss the only 'hardwood' around here is cottonwood. The
beavers love it, and it's a nice shade tree, but that's all it's good for.

Not so! Cottonwood has one very important commercial use: it is an outstanding raw material
for making paper.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/4/2016 12:45 AM, notbob wrote:
I usta live in CA, where a cord of oak went fer about $200. I now
live in Colorado and CO has no native hardwoods. Pine and Aspen go
fer about $200 cord, but a buddy sez all the "cords", hereabouts, are
"face cords". ????

I never heard of a "face cord" and wiki defines them as, roughly,
one-third of a full cord of wood. $180-$200 fer a third of a cord!?
.....of pine!!!??? I'm used to my buddy being dead wrong about many
things. What say the Western hommies?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cord_(unit)

Where do you live and what are you paying ....for what unit of
measure?

nb

I bought a Stihl and a 12' flatbed trailer.
The day after a windstorm I drive around until I find a nice big tree
laying in someone's yard or on their roof.
I offer to cut it up and remove it free of charge (I keep the wood).
Most people are happy with the deal.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/04/2016 09:11 PM, Doug Miller wrote:
rbowman wrote in :

I don't know about Colorado prices but you'd better get used to pine,
doug fir, and larch. Except for the ornamental maples in town that
somebody might miss the only 'hardwood' around here is cottonwood. The
beavers love it, and it's a nice shade tree, but that's all it's good for.

Not so! Cottonwood has one very important commercial use: it is an outstanding raw material
for making paper.

I suppose although I've never lived anyplace where they pulped cottonwood.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 5 Feb 2016 04:08:46 -0000 (UTC), Doug Miller
wrote:

notbob wrote in :

I usta live in CA, where a cord of oak went fer about $200. I now
live in Colorado and CO has no native hardwoods. Pine and Aspen go
fer about $200 cord, but a buddy sez all the "cords", hereabouts, are
"face cords". ????

A cord is a stack of wood 4' high by 8' long by 4' wide, the 4' width being usually either three
16" logs or two 24" logs.

"cordwood" is generally either less than 10 inches in diameter or
split so it packs together nice and tight. No pieces longer than 4
feet, stacked crosswize. 128 cubic feet of wood.. That's 41 feet of 2
foot log, where a stack of 4 8 footers is only 36 feet and 113 cu ft
or .88 cord.

A "face cord" is a stack of wood 4' high by 8' long by one log wide, however long the logs
happen to be cut. This is usually about 16", but I've seen them as short as 12".

"Officially" there are 3 face cords to a bush cord - a face cord being
16 inches deep.(no "legal" deffinition for a Face Cord in Canada or
the USA, "officially")

There is also an unofficial "stove cord" which is 1/4 bush cord - with
all the sticks 12 inches long, and the "long cord" which is about 150
cubic feet and what some guys will sell as a "cord" to be sure the
customer can't possibly bitch about being short changed.and works out
to a rounded long-bed pickup truck load with 2 foot racks (and
generally well over 2 tons of "green" hardwood or 1 1/2 tons of "dry"

I never heard of a "face cord" and wiki defines them as, roughly,
one-third of a full cord of wood. $180-$200 fer a third of a cord!?
.....of pine!!!??? I'm used to my buddy being dead wrong about many
things. What say the Western hommies?

This Midwestern homie says your buddy is right on the money.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cord_(unit)

Where do you live and what are you paying ....for what unit of
measure?

Can't help you there -- I've had enough of my own trees come down that I haven't had to buy
firewood for at least 15 years. I have no idea what it's going for now.

Posted to alt.home.repair

murray@1 wrote:
[...]

And they oughta be ! A tree company will charge 200-500 bucks to do the
same , keep the wood and sell it for another hundred or two . Now I
understand the costs involved , with boom trucks and ropes and chippers and
other gear , but it's a racket . Back in the day most home owners would do
it themselves , whether they kept the wood or not . Just goes to show how
pussified a lot of men are nowdays . I may get to the point where I can't do
it alone , but I have great neighbors who will help for a share of the wood
.. Already done that a couple of times with trees I cut up and wanted help to
haul in .
--
Snag

Old English B22 (bayonet) cord plugs and cord sockets Jim Hawkins[_2_] UK diy 2 January 29th 14 09:38 PM
Why is electric cord thicker than it used to be, and do they make little switches for thick cord. micky Home Repair 23 September 3rd 12 04:00 AM
Drill bit terms -- what do they mean mickgeyver Metalworking 5 September 8th 09 03:00 PM
terms you know and some you may not Pazzo Woodworking 12 October 19th 06 12:14 AM
Anyone know the name of the shower head that you have to pull a cord to turn it on, and releaseing the cord turns it off? Brett Miller Home Repair 5 March 9th 06 06:14 AM