Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Plumbing help with water filter

Hi,

I am on a tight budget, but trying to put in an under-sink water filter to address problems with the lead water main on my street.

I actually have such a filter that I used a couple apartments ago, including multiple filters. Just the savings of using the expensive filters that I already have means that I'd really like to use this filter, if I can. The system (Moen ChoiceFlow, http://searchwaterfilters.com/moen/u...4-wickston.php) is a little unique, in that it dispenses the water THROUGH the faucet, coming out of a tiny spout that is on the bottom of the faucet. That worked great (not sure why they discontinued this model), but it won't work in my current kitchen, as the owner already has a faucet installed.

What I would like to do is use the actual filter portion of this system, but connect it to a new sink-top spout.

My question is how to safely make the connections from the plastic tubing that the filter uses. How do I safely connect the plastic tubing outlet of the filter to the inlet of a new filtered water spout? Are barbed connections reliable/safe for use with city water pressure, or would I run the risk of flooding the apartment? What if I use a clamp? Are there things I need to know to do this right?

If I use a barbed fitting, how do I know what fitting size to get? Do I just get one that seems to fit tight, or should I actually measure something? I have a caliper, so can measure the ID of the tubing accurately. Is there some rule-of-thumb to how the ID of the tube relates to the fitting size?

Thanks!
Emily
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/03/2016 10:30 AM, emily cl wrote:
[...]

I've used both barbed and threaded fittings and have had no problem with
either. The package should be clearly labeled as to which size tubing
etc it requires.

It is sometimes possible to get good help in a "big box" store such as
Home Depot but I tend to support a local plumbing supply near my house
whenever I have a job I'm not 100% sure of.

They tell me exactly how to do it and exactly what parts I need.
For the couple dollars I pay over Home Depot, I have literally saved
thousands of dollars compared to what a plumber would charge.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, February 3, 2016 at 11:30:28 AM UTC-5, emily cl wrote:
[...]

In this video, Rich Trethewey of this old house, uses threaded connections,
push-in (barbed) connections and compression connections, depending on
which one works best for each location.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZM7Tjpem4w

The T in the inlet pipe can be replaced with a needle valve which pokes
a hole in the copper pipe, but they make me nervous. I used one many
years ago during the initial install, but now I shut off the house main
when I change the filter.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Plumbing help with water filter: go to the small town store

On 2/3/2016 12:03 PM, philo wrote:
It is sometimes possible to get good help in a "big box" store such as
Home Depot but I tend to support a local plumbing supply near my house
whenever I have a job I'm not 100% sure of.

They tell me exactly how to do it and exactly what parts I need.
For the couple dollars I pay over Home Depot, I have literally saved
thousands of dollars compared to what a plumber would charge.

I agree about the small town store. I've also had
moments where the old guy who knows what he's doing
has saved me a lot of time, work, and money.

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Plumbing: Water quality / filter problem Duncan Tuna Home Repair 1 August 8th 07 01:53 AM
carbon filter for water filter car crash Home Repair 4 November 22nd 06 03:35 PM
Well Water filter Platebanger Home Repair 4 June 10th 05 03:59 PM
PUR water filter Jim Home Repair 1 January 2nd 05 08:57 PM
PUR Water Filter Gaby Home Ownership 0 August 12th 04 12:09 AM