Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Putting heated air in a cold tire

I keep my air compressor in the house or it wont start or the line
freezes. To pump up a tire, I have up to 165ft of air hose. Normally my
50ft and 15ft coupled together will reach my truck or tractor.

Anyhow, the air coming from the house is warm, (60 to 70 deg F). When
the outdoor temperature is zero or colder (F), that heated air is going
to change in pressure when it gets cold. I cant determine if the tire
will gain or lose pressure when the air gets cold. I'm sure it's not a
significant amount, but I'd like to compensate when I put the air in the
tire.

But which way, up or down?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, January 29, 2016 at 6:13:32 AM UTC-5, wrote:
I keep my air compressor in the house or it wont start or the line
freezes. To pump up a tire, I have up to 165ft of air hose. Normally my
50ft and 15ft coupled together will reach my truck or tractor.

Anyhow, the air coming from the house is warm, (60 to 70 deg F). When
the outdoor temperature is zero or colder (F), that heated air is going
to change in pressure when it gets cold. I cant determine if the tire
will gain or lose pressure when the air gets cold. I'm sure it's not a
significant amount, but I'd like to compensate when I put the air in the
tire.

But which way, up or down?

Figure it out based in the info found he

http://www.tirerack.com/winter/tech/...jsp?techid=147
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, January 29, 2016 at 7:00:27 AM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Friday, January 29, 2016 at 6:13:32 AM UTC-5, wrote:
I keep my air compressor in the house or it wont start or the line
freezes. To pump up a tire, I have up to 165ft of air hose. Normally my
50ft and 15ft coupled together will reach my truck or tractor.

Anyhow, the air coming from the house is warm, (60 to 70 deg F). When
the outdoor temperature is zero or colder (F), that heated air is going
to change in pressure when it gets cold. I cant determine if the tire
will gain or lose pressure when the air gets cold. I'm sure it's not a
significant amount, but I'd like to compensate when I put the air in the
tire.

But which way, up or down?

Figure it out based in the info found he

http://www.tirerack.com/winter/tech/...jsp?techid=147

More info he

http://www.tirerack.com/winter/tech/....jsp?techid=73
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, January 29, 2016 at 7:04:10 AM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

Air coming out of an air compressor is going to be colder than
ambient anyway. It gets compressed, loses heat, which is why
compressors get hot, then gets expanded again getting colder
when it exits the compressor system at a lower pressure.

All in all, I wouldn't worry about it. Nobody else does and
the effect isn't large. The air going in the tire probably
winds up close to the temp of the tire quickly anyway,
especially if you're only topping it off.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 01/29/2016 07:15 AM, trader_4 wrote:

snip
then gets expanded again getting colder
when it exits the compressor system at a lower pressure.

All in all, I wouldn't worry about it. Nobody else does and
the effect isn't large. The air going in the tire probably
winds up close to the temp of the tire quickly anyway,
especially if you're only topping it off.

Totally nothing to worry about. after all once the car is driven the
tire is going to warm up considerably
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/29/2016 9:01 AM, philo wrote:
On 01/29/2016 07:15 AM, trader_4 wrote:

snip
then gets expanded again getting colder
when it exits the compressor system at a lower pressure.

All in all, I wouldn't worry about it. Nobody else does and
the effect isn't large. The air going in the tire probably
winds up close to the temp of the tire quickly anyway,
especially if you're only topping it off.

Totally nothing to worry about. after all once the car is driven the
tire is going to warm up considerably

How much do tractor tires warm up, when travelling
at 5 MPH? Considerably?

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
news
I keep my air compressor in the house or it wont start or the line
freezes. To pump up a tire, I have up to 165ft of air hose. Normally my
50ft and 15ft coupled together will reach my truck or tractor.

Anyhow, the air coming from the house is warm, (60 to 70 deg F). When
the outdoor temperature is zero or colder (F), that heated air is going
to change in pressure when it gets cold. I cant determine if the tire
will gain or lose pressure when the air gets cold. I'm sure it's not a
significant amount, but I'd like to compensate when I put the air in the
tire.

But which way, up or down?

Running the compressed air through the outdoor portion of the hose will cool
the air before it gets to the tire.

Posted to alt.home.repair

EXT wrote:

wrote in message
news
I keep my air compressor in the house or it wont start or the line
freezes. To pump up a tire, I have up to 165ft of air hose. Normally my
50ft and 15ft coupled together will reach my truck or tractor.

Anyhow, the air coming from the house is warm, (60 to 70 deg F). When
the outdoor temperature is zero or colder (F), that heated air is going
to change in pressure when it gets cold. I cant determine if the tire
will gain or lose pressure when the air gets cold. I'm sure it's not a
significant amount, but I'd like to compensate when I put the air in the
tire.

But which way, up or down?

Running the compressed air through the outdoor portion of the hose will
cool the air before it gets to the tire.

Line freezes? Water! No pressure gauge? Worrying way over too much!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/29/2016 10:54 AM, Tony Hwang wrote:
EXT wrote:

wrote in message
But which way, up or down?

Running the compressed air through the outdoor portion of the hose will
cool the air before it gets to the tire.

Line freezes? Water! No pressure gauge? Worrying way over too much!

I think it's fun to consider such trivia, now
and again. Oh, I'm going to use the N word!

Nitrogen!

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/29/2016 6:13 AM, wrote:
I keep my air compressor in the house or it wont start or the line
freezes. To pump up a tire, I have up to 165ft of air hose. Normally my
50ft and 15ft coupled together will reach my truck or tractor.

Anyhow, the air coming from the house is warm, (60 to 70 deg F). When
the outdoor temperature is zero or colder (F), that heated air is going
to change in pressure when it gets cold. I cant determine if the tire
will gain or lose pressure when the air gets cold. I'm sure it's not a
significant amount, but I'd like to compensate when I put the air in the
tire.

But which way, up or down?

A couple of weeks back we had a discussion about tire pressure. Since
that time I'd watched mine to see what happens. The start of this was
when my TPMS went off on a very cold morning as one tire was down to 24
psi. Many newer cars give actual reading by tire. That afternoon after
a 25 mile drive back home I inflated them all to 34psi by my gauge, but
the readings from the TPMS showed the rear tires 1 psi higher.

Observation over a couple of weeks shows be the following:
Starting out at 25 degrees FL 31 31 RL32 32
Driving 2 miles FL 33 33 RL34 34
Driving 25 miles FL 34 34 RL35 36

As you can see the right rear tire reads 2 psi over the front tires.
They increase at close to the same rate, but not exact. I have no idea
exactly what the pressure is due to rounding and normal tolerance for
the sending units.

Tire inspection during an oil change last Saturday showed all tires are
wearing evenly at 7500 miles.

Conclusion: Close enough for me. Too cold out to worry about a half
pound difference in pressure.

If I had your situation I'd inflate to 2 or 3 psi above the recommended
pressure and not worry about it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 29 Jan 2016 13:10:50 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

A couple of weeks back we had a discussion about tire pressure. Since
that time I'd watched mine to see what happens. The start of this was
when my TPMS went off on a very cold morning as one tire was down to 24

I hooked up TPMS to my front tires. By the time I had reached the
corner, I found the air tubing wrapped 85 times around the axle.

[...]

Sounds good to me.

I got longer tubing, so now I can fix my TPMS.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, January 29, 2016 at 12:36:42 PM UTC-6, Micky wrote:

I hooked up TPMS to my front tires. By the time I had reached the
corner, I found the air tubing wrapped 85 times around the axle.

Sounds good to me.

I got longer tubing, so now I can fix my TPMS.

I can't help but think Micky and the Mormon would be involved in this outcome.

https://youtu.be/ojQ5P64o8g0
Posted to alt.home.repair

put [much] more than you think it will need,

and take the excess out later

marc
Posted to alt.home.repair
MLD MLD is offline

"EXT" wrote in message
web.com...

wrote in message
news
I keep my air compressor in the house or it wont start or the line
freezes. To pump up a tire, I have up to 165ft of air hose. Normally my
50ft and 15ft coupled together will reach my truck or tractor.

Anyhow, the air coming from the house is warm, (60 to 70 deg F). When
the outdoor temperature is zero or colder (F), that heated air is going
to change in pressure when it gets cold. I cant determine if the tire
will gain or lose pressure when the air gets cold. I'm sure it's not a
significant amount, but I'd like to compensate when I put the air in the
tire.

But which way, up or down?

Running the compressed air through the outdoor portion of the hose will cool
the air before it gets to the tire.

Without going through the arithmetic --A safe estimate would be to use the
following as a pretty good guide: For every 10 deg change in air
temperature the tire pressure will change 1 psi. Pressure increases as the
temperature goes up and decreases as it drops. This assumes starting with a
tire at ambient air temperature (not a flat) and not worrying about the
temperature of the air going in since its volume is relatively small.
Ref: Ideal Gas Law
MLD

---

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/29/2016 3:23 PM, MLD wrote:

Running the compressed air through the outdoor portion of the hose will
cool
the air before it gets to the tire.

Without going through the arithmetic --A safe estimate would be to use
the following as a pretty good guide: For every 10 deg change in air
temperature the tire pressure will change 1 psi. Pressure increases as
the temperature goes up and decreases as it drops. This assumes
starting with a tire at ambient air temperature (not a flat) and not
worrying about the temperature of the air going in since its volume is
relatively small. Ref: Ideal Gas Law
MLD

One thing we did not consider is the volume of air added. If the
pressure is only raised a couple of pounds it will be insignificant
comared to filling a tire with np pressure.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 1/29/2016 3:23 PM, MLD wrote:

Running the compressed air through the outdoor portion of the hose will
cool
the air before it gets to the tire.

Without going through the arithmetic --A safe estimate would be to use
the following as a pretty good guide: For every 10 deg change in air
temperature the tire pressure will change 1 psi. Pressure increases as
the temperature goes up and decreases as it drops. This assumes
starting with a tire at ambient air temperature (not a flat) and not
worrying about the temperature of the air going in since its volume is
relatively small. Ref: Ideal Gas Law
MLD

One thing we did not consider is the volume of air added. If the
pressure is only raised a couple of pounds it will be insignificant
comared to filling a tire with np pressure.

I always check tire pressures once a month. Just can't depend on TPMS alone.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 1/29/2016 9:01 AM, philo wrote:
On 01/29/2016 07:15 AM, trader_4 wrote:

snip
then gets expanded again getting colder
when it exits the compressor system at a lower pressure.

All in all, I wouldn't worry about it. Nobody else does and
the effect isn't large. The air going in the tire probably
winds up close to the temp of the tire quickly anyway,
especially if you're only topping it off.

Totally nothing to worry about. after all once the car is driven the
tire is going to warm up considerably

How much do tractor tires warm up, when travelling
at 5 MPH? Considerably?

Depends if tire is in the sunshine. I always have to compensate one side vs
other if car is in the sun. Can be several degrees.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

Painted... wrote: "Anyhow, the air coming from the house is
warm, (60 to 70 deg F). When "

Oh SHEHEEZZZZ.. And I thought
we were talk the temperature of
exhaust out the tail end of a F-18
fighter plane here!

Just put in a couple psi more than
the recommended pressure on the
b-pillar door placard. No big deal,
said Katy!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 29 Jan 2016 08:19:47 -0600, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

How much do tractor tires warm up, when travelling
at 5 MPH? Considerably?

The 5 mph sounds slow for field speed nowadays.
U.S. tractors generally top out at around 25
mph road speed. There are laws governing top
speed for vehicles with the Slow Moving Vehicle
signs.
Rear tractor tires also have calcium added for
weight and traction.
This article http://preview.alturl.com/5zirg
makes it sound like Fastrac is making a model for
the U.S. that can run up to 50 mph. That would make
life interesting with a ten year old running it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Dean Hoffman wrote: " This article http://preview.alturl.com/5zirg
makes it sound like Fastrac is making a model for
the U.S. that can run up to 50 mph. That would make
life interesting with a ten year old running it. "

50mph farm tractor - only in America!

Faster, louder, brighter, prouder!!

...(not) "Proud To Be An American"
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 31 Jan 2016 08:26:40 -0600, wrote:

Dean Hoffman wrote: " This article http://preview.alturl.com/5zirg
makes it sound like Fastrac is making a model for
the U.S. that can run up to 50 mph. That would make
life interesting with a ten year old running it. "

50mph farm tractor - only in America!

Faster, louder, brighter, prouder!!

..(not) "Proud To Be An American"

We're just catching up to the guys on the east side of the
big pond apparently. The Fastracs didn't fit on 30" rows which
might be the most common here. The other common spacing is
36".

Old Coats Tire Man manual tire changer oldjag Metalworking 19 November 28th 19 11:18 PM
OT Putting your hand in cold water and instantly needing to have a pee ARW UK diy 63 December 20th 12 02:04 PM
Washing machine install (only got a cold feed, washer has hot and cold feeds) ARWadsworth UK diy 5 April 12th 07 09:26 PM
Cold air blowing outta cold air return vents when blower's not running [email protected] Home Ownership 2 December 19th 05 12:33 PM
100% solar heated house for cold climate m Ransley Home Repair 3 December 10th 04 04:16 PM