Posted to alt.home.repair

Default should paint come off with a razor blade?

We want to repaint a plastered room. It has 2 (3?) previous coats of
uncertain age. Some paint is coming off, at least partly due to water
from a long-ago roof repair. I scraped it pretty aggressively. In
some areas, I got down to the plaster; in others, the paint seems
intact.

Where I did scrape paint off, I find that I can attack the exposed
edge with a razor blade, and pop the paint off in small patches.
Mostly, this is just the top coat, though sometimes, it gets down to
bare plaster. It's not clear how far I could go with this - at the
least, I can get off a LOT more than the scraper did.

The question is, whether this is 'normal'? It doesn't seem like
well-bonded paint, but maybe it's OK? It would be a PITA to do the
razor thing on the whole room, but there's no point in new paint
that's going to come off, either.

Thanks
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, January 22, 2016 at 2:35:45 PM UTC-5, wrote:
[...]

It's not normal for paint to come off with a razor. But on the other
hand, if the areas where it's coming off on it's own are limited to
areas that had water damage, then what's there is probably bonded well
enough that it doesn't need to be removed, which is a major PIA.
If the areas where it's coming off are limited, I'd just deal with
those and then put a primer over the whole thing.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 22 Jan 2016 12:13:27 -0800 (PST), trader_4
wrote:

It's not normal for paint to come off with a razor. But on the other
hand, if the areas where it's coming off on it's own are limited to
areas that had water damage, then what's there is probably bonded well
enough that it doesn't need to be removed, which is a major PIA.
If the areas where it's coming off are limited, I'd just deal with
those and then put a primer over the whole thing.

I'd try a slow speed orbital sander with extra fine paper and feather
out those places. Wash the wall with TSP (red box) to remove any grim
and go from there.
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 01/22/2016 2:13 PM, trader_4 wrote:

It's not normal for paint to come off with a razor. ...

I'd think it actually quite normal... Attack a hardened film layer
at it's edge with a wedge and it's pretty much simple physics to raise
that edge.

That said, if it takes that level of effort to remove, it's likely "good
enough".

Posted to alt.home.repair

It's not normal for paint to come off with a razor. But on the other
hand, if the areas where it's coming off on it's own are limited to
areas that had water damage, then what's there is probably bonded well
enough that it doesn't need to be removed, which is a major PIA.
If the areas where it's coming off are limited, I'd just deal with
those and then put a primer over the whole thing.

I'd try a slow speed orbital sander with extra fine paper and feather
out those places. Wash the wall with TSP (red box) to remove any grim
and go from there.

I would try to avoid too much sanding if there is a chance that the
plaster has asbestos in it - ie 1960's.
Getting it properly tested for asbestos might be costly -
and it's one of those things you might rather NOT know ..
John T

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

we had and fixed that problem here, and its been fine for about 20 years.

remove everything loose, really work at it. then wash with tsp and rinse well. let dry for a couple days. then paint with a bonding agent so the next layer sticks well..

then skim coat with drywall mud. let dry well.

then paint.......give it 2 coats

like i said near 20 years ago and zero problems.

avoid sanding because of lead based paint, and possible asbestos

Razor blade life Tim[_28_] UK diy 4 September 15th 11 10:25 PM
Poster Razor Carl Tenbus Woodworking Plans and Photos 2 April 3rd 09 02:22 AM
RAZOR BLADE SCRAPER J T Woodworking 0 February 26th 08 01:45 AM
More on Razor Wire George UK diy 48 November 7th 07 08:55 PM
!@#W^%$#! Razor Knives Greg Guarino Home Repair 3 July 10th 06 12:59 AM