Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default should paint come off with a razor blade?

On 1/22/2016 8:10 PM, wrote:

It's not normal for paint to come off with a razor. But on the other
hand, if the areas where it's coming off on it's own are limited to
areas that had water damage, then what's there is probably bonded well
enough that it doesn't need to be removed, which is a major PIA.
If the areas where it's coming off are limited, I'd just deal with
those and then put a primer over the whole thing.

I'd try a slow speed orbital sander with extra fine paper and feather
out those places. Wash the wall with TSP (red box) to remove any grim
and go from there.

I would try to avoid too much sanding if there is a chance that the
plaster has asbestos in it - ie 1960's.
Getting it properly tested for asbestos might be costly -
and it's one of those things you might rather NOT know ..
John T

You can remove paint easily with no tools. One night for dinner we had
a lot of onions and mushrooms. Next morning I was able to peel the
paint off the bathroom walls and ceiling. Peeled off in sheets.