Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Sink Aerator Washer Failure

The flat rubber washer in my bathroom sink spigot split and now water
leaks from the threaded joint where the aerator attaches to the spigot.

Checked a few places for a new washer but can't find one. At this point,
I've probably burned more gas than a new aerator from Home Depot costs.

Before I pop for one though, I'm wondering if I could just substitute a
plain round/tubular O-ring from my large stash for the flat washer. If
it worked, would it last?

--
Somewhere along the line, politicians discovered it's more fun to tell
people how to live than it is to fix potholes.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/12/2016 3:12 PM, Wade Garrett wrote:
The flat rubber washer in my bathroom sink spigot split and now water
leaks from the threaded joint where the aerator attaches to the spigot.

Checked a few places for a new washer but can't find one. At this point,
I've probably burned more gas than a new aerator from Home Depot costs.

Before I pop for one though, I'm wondering if I could just substitute a
plain round/tubular O-ring from my large stash for the flat washer. If
it worked, would it last?

I know a way to find out!

If it's the appropriate replace the damaged one with the O-ring. It
will work or it won't. It will last or it won't. What is the problem
here? It's not like it will suddenly burst and flood the house if it
fails. It's not going to get a lot of wear either, you insert it,
thread on the aerator and that's that.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/12/2016 4:12 PM, Wade Garrett wrote:
The flat rubber washer in my bathroom sink spigot split and now water
leaks from the threaded joint where the aerator attaches to the spigot.

Checked a few places for a new washer but can't find one. At this point,
I've probably burned more gas than a new aerator from Home Depot costs.

Before I pop for one though, I'm wondering if I could just substitute a
plain round/tubular O-ring from my large stash for the flat washer. If
it worked, would it last?

Sure, if it fits.

You do realize a new aerator is less than 5 bucks. Did you burn 2
gallons of gas yet?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 1/12/2016 4:12 PM, Wade Garrett wrote:
The flat rubber washer in my bathroom sink spigot split and now water
leaks from the threaded joint where the aerator attaches to the spigot.

Checked a few places for a new washer but can't find one. At this point,
I've probably burned more gas than a new aerator from Home Depot costs.

Before I pop for one though, I'm wondering if I could just substitute a
plain round/tubular O-ring from my large stash for the flat washer. If
it worked, would it last?

Sure, if it fits.

You do realize a new aerator is less than 5 bucks. Did you burn 2
gallons of gas yet?

Ha, Ha, Ha! Right on.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 12 Jan 2016 16:12:08 -0500, Wade Garrett
wrote:

The flat rubber washer in my bathroom sink spigot split and now water
leaks from the threaded joint where the aerator attaches to the spigot.

Checked a few places for a new washer but can't find one. At this point,
I've probably burned more gas than a new aerator from Home Depot costs.

Before I pop for one though, I'm wondering if I could just substitute a
plain round/tubular O-ring from my large stash for the flat washer. If
it worked, would it last?

These guys may mislead you. Cut the tongue from your boot or belt and
make a leather washer.

....just saying

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Before I pop for one though, I'm wondering if I could just substitute a
plain round/tubular O-ring from my large stash for the flat washer. If
it worked, would it last?

These guys may mislead you. Cut the tongue from your boot or belt and
make a leather washer.

Maybe dope the threads with two part epoxy?

--
..
Christopher A. Young