Appliance Repair Aid

Default Clothes Washer Failure -- Any Suggestions?

jim evans wrote:
Our 15 year old Maytag washer just failed. It was near the end of a
spin cycle and I think I heard the out of balance noise, then it quit
and now it won't do anything.

We've had the out of balance shutdown a few times over the years but
it always restarted by just turning it off and then back on. Now when
we turn it one it makes no sound -- it does nothing.

And suggestions on what to look at first?

Oh yes, how do I get the cabinet open? I don't see any screws or
buttons or anything to press, pull, twist or unscrew.

jim

Hi,

Model#??

It was near the end of a
spin cycle and I think I heard the out of balance noise, then it quit
and now it won't do anything.

Might have knocked the lid switch out of place or the lid switch
plunger out of place.

Oh yes, how do I get the cabinet open?

No model# posted, but this may help....
http://www.applianceaid.com/maytagwash.html#apart
http://www.applianceaid.com/maytagwash.html

jeff.
Appliance Repair Aid
http://www.applianceaid.com/

Appliance Repair Aid

jim evans wrote:

Thanks for the reply. When I awoke with a clearer head this morning I
realized I'd misread the diagram. Amazingly it was sort of a double
failure. Along with the out-of-balance shutdown, the secondary door
switch failed. Apparently this in turned caused a fuse to blow.

Replaced secondary door switch and fuse. Working again.

Why are there two door switches????

jim

Hi,

Why are there two door switches????

A safety....if the main switch "sticks" or "tacks" closed the second
one will blow the fuse and disable the washer.

What does the out-of-balance detection? How is it done?

Wash baskets move around too much and hit a metal bracket under the lid
switch and this trips the lid switch to shut the machine down. This
only would happen if a load got out of balanced/most of the weight to
one side of the wash tub.

jeff.
Appliance Repair Aid
http://www.applianceaid.com/

trenching and other uses of a high pressure washer Jer Home Repair 5 November 18th 04 08:59 PM
Whirlpool Duet Washer Problems? Coop Home Repair 7 July 12th 04 07:08 PM
Sawdust on Clothes Rick Dipper UK diy 10 September 24th 03 12:15 PM
O.T.-Taking a Clothes Washer Apart keith bowers Metalworking 6 August 31st 03 02:44 AM
Washer cuts out at start of spin (Speed Queen/Amana) Dan O. Home Ownership 0 August 17th 03 10:31 PM