keith bowers

Default O.T.-Taking a Clothes Washer Apart

I replaced my 1960s Frigidair clothes washer some time back and took the old
one apart for parts. I am down to the tub assembly and can't figure out how
to separate the inner spinning basket from the fixed tub. Ideas?
--
Keith Bowers - Thomasville, NC
jim

keith bowers wrote:

I replaced my 1960s Frigidair clothes washer some time back and took the old
one apart for parts. I am down to the tub assembly and can't figure out how
to separate the inner spinning basket from the fixed tub. Ideas?
--
Keith Bowers - Thomasville, NC

you not gonna get much in parts from a 1960 washer that can be used in a
current washer.... i tried this with an old 1972 washer that was
replaced in 1999 and found out that all the parts were different that
the new washer that we had.. the only thing that i think i kept were
some screws, the motor and the timer...
Gerald Miller

On Fri, 29 Aug 2003 15:02:36 -0700, Jim Stewart
wrote:

keith bowers wrote:
I replaced my 1960s Frigidair clothes washer some time back and took the old
one apart for parts. I am down to the tub assembly and can't figure out how
to separate the inner spinning basket from the fixed tub. Ideas?

Gas axe?

BFH?
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Gerald Miller

On Sat, 30 Aug 2003 01:41:45 GMT, jim wrote:

keith bowers wrote:

I replaced my 1960s Frigidair clothes washer some time back and took the old
one apart for parts. I am down to the tub assembly and can't figure out how
to separate the inner spinning basket from the fixed tub. Ideas?
--
Keith Bowers - Thomasville, NC

you not gonna get much in parts from a 1960 washer that can be used in a
current washer.... i tried this with an old 1972 washer that was
replaced in 1999 and found out that all the parts were different that
the new washer that we had.. the only thing that i think i kept were
some screws, the motor and the timer...

The outer case goes over the AC condenser unit all winter, and the
snow blower all summer. Also good for floor repairs in the pick-um-up.
Inner drum makes a good fire pit at the camp site.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
keith bowers

jim wrote:

keith bowers wrote:

I replaced my 1960s Frigidair clothes washer some time back and took the
old one apart for parts. I am down to the tub assembly and can't figure
out how to separate the inner spinning basket from the fixed tub. Ideas?
--
Keith Bowers - Thomasville, NC

you not gonna get much in parts from a 1960 washer that can be used in a
current washer.... i tried this with an old 1972 washer that was
replaced in 1999 and found out that all the parts were different that
the new washer that we had.. the only thing that i think i kept were
some screws, the motor and the timer...

Never considered using parts on another washer. he motor will go to a future
project, the case to another, the drive shaft is a free piece of steel rod,
etc. The basket and tub may have possibilities maing a casting furnace.
--
Keith Bowers - Thomasville, NC

Gerald Miller

wrote:

keith bowers wrote:
I replaced my 1960s Frigidair clothes washer some time back and took the old
one apart for parts. I am down to the tub assembly and can't figure out how
to separate the inner spinning basket from the fixed tub. Ideas?
Gas axe? BFH? Gerry :-)} London, Canada

a torch would be good, imho. the normal methods vary, depending on
the washer. google on rcm, there was a good thread in the past
year or so.

my final solution after all the suggested methods failed, was a puller
and chains. --Loren

The reason I suggested BFH was that, when the service tech couldn't
remove the agitator nut on my frigidaire washer using a socket while
holding the shaft with vise-grips and told me it would cost me
$400.00, I sent him away and split the nut off with a cold chisel. I
completed the repair for less than the cost of the service call
minimum, including the cost of the broken parts and the long cold
chisel.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
keith bowers

Gerald Miller wrote:

On Sat, 30 Aug 2003 09:16:33 GMT, Loren Coe
wrote:

wrote:

keith bowers wrote:
[...]

Good idea g. Now that I have an idea how the thing is put together I think
I'll start out with a wrench and some heat. If that doesn't work the BFH
and cold chisel will be next in line. One thing about it; I can't hurt the
thing G.
--
Keith Bowers - Thomasville, NC

live dish washer Geoff UK diy 10 June 4th 04 09:55 AM
Sawdust on Clothes Rick Dipper UK diy 10 September 24th 03 01:15 PM
Washer Help FormbyMax UK diy 2 August 15th 03 11:04 PM