Default Sink tap washer replacement.

Done this lots of times before but I'm stumped this time. The top of
each tap has a small colour insert- but no obvious means of prising it
off to get access to the retaining screw (if there is one underneath).
When the tap is fully opened it reveals a collar which can be unscrewed
to give access to the "works" but I imagine that the top of the tap
should be removed first - am I wrong?

Ian

Cicero

wrote in message
ups.com...
Done this lots of times before but I'm stumped this time. The top of
each tap has a small colour insert- but no obvious means of prising it
off to get access to the retaining screw (if there is one underneath).
When the tap is fully opened it reveals a collar which can be unscrewed
to give access to the "works" but I imagine that the top of the tap
should be removed first - am I wrong?

Ian

================
The top cap probably screws out. Try starting it turning with a small
pointed tool (tiny screwdriver / nail file / knife point etc.) on the outer
edge of the insert.

Cic.

Thx for the speedy response - can't seem to shift it that way - if I
apply too much force the plastic insert would be damaged - it's only
about 4mm dia set into a chrome tap top - pretty universal design
probably been around since the late 60s or early 70s.

Ian

Newshound

wrote in message
ps.com...
Thx for the speedy response - can't seem to shift it that way - if I
apply too much force the plastic insert would be damaged - it's only
about 4mm dia set into a chrome tap top - pretty universal design
probably been around since the late 60s or early 70s.

Ian

You don't normally need to take the handle off although you may need a slim
spanner (car type) if you need to unscrew a dome to reveal the nut.

Replacing kitchen sink Alex Home Ownership 2 August 7th 05 01:19 PM
Wainscot around or behind pedestal sink? D. Gerasimatos Home Repair 4 December 11th 04 07:11 PM
Wainscot around or behind pedestal sink? D. Gerasimatos Home Ownership 4 December 11th 04 07:11 PM
Single sink for sale PoP UK diy 0 March 4th 04 04:54 PM
1957 Crane Sink David McCulloch Home Repair 16 January 31st 04 05:30 PM