Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How much heat is lost in a steaming hot shower anyway?

Muggles writes:

On 12/31/2015 7:11 AM, Moe DeLoughan wrote:
On 12/30/2015 6:06 PM, Vlad Lescovitz wrote:
The wife doesn't like the house being set at 55 degrees
so she (and the teen)

How poor are you that you can only afford to keep your house at 55 F?
There's no way in hell I'd subject my family to that unless financially
I had no choice - and I'm a tightass.

I keep our house at 58 F at night, 62 F during the day - but I allow an
override up to 65 F if anyone's at home.

If you're not doing this out of financial desperation, then your family
is entitled to do whatever the hell they need to do to beat you at your
skinflint game.

We keep the house between 68° and 72°, although it will fluctuate if we
get colder spells and go lower than 68°. For a long time the house was
always on the cold side, but this fall I bought 2 portable rolling oil
radiator heaters that are wonderful at keeping the house warm. They
cycle between high/med/low/off power settings and maintain a surrounding
temp based on the thermostat temp that you set it at. When it cycles to
off it's still producing heat because the coils are radiating heat from
the warmed coils.

They work so well that we have to turn the thermostat down. They are
slow to heat up a room, but once they get up to temperature we never get
cold. We've tried all sorts of portable space heaters to supplement the
gas furnaces and baseboard heaters throughout the house which never
really kept us warm, but these 2 oil radiator heaters weren't very
expensive at all and they do the job of all the other portable heaters
couldn't do.

Space heater vs. furnace:

http://www.mnenergysmart.com/when-sp...hen-they-dont/

--
Dan Espen
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/31/2015 10:59 AM, Dan Espen wrote:
Muggles writes:

[...]

We had 2 gas wall *furnaces* that heated the part of the living
room/bedrooms near one, and another room/laundry room for another.
We've never had central air in this house. At one point we had a floor
furnace where one of the wall furnaces is now located.

There is a larger room on the back of this house that only has 2
baseboard heaters, and we have a wood burning stove in that room. We've
always been cold in the winter with the furnaces and baseboard heaters.
The wood stove works nicely, but it has to be constantly monitored as
to what the fire is doing (do I need to open the flue more or less/add
wood/turn logs, etc.)

I've tried several types of space heaters for rooms that don't get
heated well otherwise and these radiator oil heaters have been the best
heaters I've ever used, and 2 heated the entire house before we even lit
the pilot light on the main wall furnace.

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/31/2015 10:54 AM, Muggles wrote:
On 12/31/2015 10:40 AM, Moe DeLoughan wrote:
On 12/31/2015 8:45 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Thursday, December 31, 2015 at 8:11:46 AM UTC-5, Moe DeLoughan wrote:
On 12/30/2015 6:06 PM, Vlad Lescovitz wrote:
The wife doesn't like the house being set at 55 degrees
so she (and the teen)

How poor are you that you can only afford to keep your house at 55 F?
There's no way in hell I'd subject my family to that unless
financially I had no choice - and I'm a tightass.

I keep our house at 58 F at night, 62 F during the day - but I allow
an override up to 65 F if anyone's at home.

You *allow* an override?
How gracious of you!

It's my house, and I'm the one that pays the bills, so unless they want
to provide money for the energy bill, it's my call. That's how I was
raised and it always made perfect sense to me. It's reasonably
comfortable as long as you're dressed for winter, not summer, meaning
long pants, socks, and sweaters or sweatshirts. If you're sitting still,
grab a lap blanket.

Does your wife clean the house, do the dishes, cook your meals, wash
your clothes, or anything else I've not listed?

No wife. I do most everything myself, though my elderly mom sometimes
cooks or washes out of sheer boredom - something I don't want her to
do for safety's sake.

I've heard that sort of argument before and to me it's just a selfish
and disrespectful mindset that never takes into consideration the value
of anything that wife does in the home.

I agree. If I had a wife, her labor would be her contribution.
Otherwise, if you're staying with me because you're a relative in dire
financial straits, well - you are welcome to stay till you get back on
your feet. That's what family should do. It's my house, so I'll do the
upkeep. You spend your time looking for work, or working to earn
money. If you're feeling cold, *you* decide if you want to turn over
some of your money towards the energy bill, or if you'd rather put it
towards your savings goal toward getting a place of your own. But if
I'm willing to live colder than I'd prefer in order to save my money
for better things, it won't hurt you to do the same, as long as you're
living with (off) me.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

No wife, no harm then! Doesn't your mom get cold?

I've heard that sort of argument before and to me it's just a selfish
and disrespectful mindset that never takes into consideration the value
of anything that wife does in the home.

I agree. If I had a wife, her labor would be her contribution.
Otherwise, if you're staying with me because you're a relative in dire
financial straits, well - you are welcome to stay till you get back on
your feet. That's what family should do. It's my house, so I'll do the
upkeep. You spend your time looking for work, or working to earn money.

That makes MUCH more sense to me. You can't make it too comfy or
they'll never want to get back on their own.

If you're feeling cold, *you* decide if you want to turn over some of
your money towards the energy bill, or if you'd rather put it towards
your savings goal toward getting a place of your own. But if I'm willing
to live colder than I'd prefer in order to save my money for better
things, it won't hurt you to do the same, as long as you're living with
(off) me.

Now, that's something I totally agree with!

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/30/2015 7:06 PM, Vlad Lescovitz wrote:
The wife doesn't like the house being set at 55 degrees
so she (and the teen) take long showers, only leaving
the bathroom when the 50 gallon ho****er tank runs cold.

My propane ho****er heater is set to something like 135 degrees.
That means a lot of hot water is going down the drain.

I wonder - is there a calculation done on how much
energy it takes to heat 50 gallons of water with propane
versus how much energy it takes to heat a house by 5
degrees with propane?

Maybe it is cheaper to just heat the house more?

I personally think 55 is too cold, especially the older you get, to be
comfortable. We keep it in the upper 60s. But, I do have electric
heaters (heater/exhaust fan/light/night light) in both bathrooms for
nice toasty showers and baths. Had them in our bathrooms in my previous
house too. We wouldn't have it any other way.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, December 31, 2015 at 1:50:54 PM UTC-5, Art Todesco wrote:
[...]

Up until this year, 67-68 was fine for us. Now, 68-69 seems to be the
norm.

I wonder if anyone has factored the aging population and associated
increase in thermostat settings into the global warming equation. ;-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/31/2015 8:40 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 12/30/2015 11:32 PM, Dan Espen wrote:
Vlad Lescovitz writes:

The wife doesn't like the house being set at 55 degrees
so she (and the teen) take long showers, only leaving
the bathroom when the 50 gallon ho****er tank runs cold.

Why the wife doesn't just turn up the thermostat is a mystery.

Domestic abuse is like that. The woman feels powerless and fears leaving.
Don't know the reason here, but it could be a factor.

I suspect not so much. If he was that abusive/controlling, he'd
turn off the water to the shower WHILE they were in it ("Showers
will be limited to 5.0379 minutes")

Rather, the "offenders" have found a spot of relative bliss amidst
an environment that they have acknowledged as "too cold". Make
the showers less comfortable and maybe they start showering *less*
(i.e., SMELLING more!)

I think the real solution is getting everyone on the same page and
sorting out how to come to a solution that fits ALL needs AND
other constraints (budget, etc.). There may be other solutions
that are amenable to all parties?

Perhaps they aren't anxious to step OUT of the warm shower into a
FREEZING bathroom? So, an overhead heat lamp could make the transition
less intimidating.

Or, raising the temperature in the house at certain "living"
times during the day in exchange for lowering it at others.

Or, adding more layers of clothing; exploiting southern exposure
when choosing where to sit/work/play during the daylight hours; etc.

First step is understanding the problem(s) -- on both sides!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/30/2015 11:31 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:
Don Y wrote:
On 12/30/2015 9:50 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:

OTOH, I notice that women tend to *feel* cold moreso than men.
I dropped SWMBO off at one of her classes a week or two back
and one of her classmates was shivering violently (probably
40F at that hour of the morning). She put her palms on my face
and I damn near jumped out of my skin! I put *mine* on hers
and it was as if there was a sizzling sound from their warmth
against her face. Awkward as she insisted on holding my hands
there... ("Honest, Honey, I don't KNOW the lady!!")

Woman in menopause has hot flash.

No, this woman's hands were genuinely cold ("I damn near jumped
out of my skin!") while mine were *warm*. I think male/female
circulation must be different.

Likewise, women tend to be more "bundled up" than men when you
see them out-and-about. Hard to imagine they're just "less
manly"...

~90% of woman has under active thyroid(hypo thyroid symptom). When it is border
line case, blood test does not register.

I know the MD routinely checks TSH any time she (SWMBO) has bloodwork
done. He's never commented that it was an issue and it's never been
"flagged" in the (numeric) test results she receives.

Of course, if 90% of women *truly* have underactive thyroids, then the
test limits -- which are derived from empirical observations of the
population of *women* -- will tend to be skewed towards the lower end
making more of these "underperformers" actually look "normal".

Main cause of weight gain, poor
energy, poor mood, feeling like depressed, even could cause
constipation, sleep problem, etc. In this case there is a way to confirm the
symptom by BBT method. Dr. Barne's Basal temperature method.

SWMBO has none of these "problems". I can't comment about the lady I
mentioned previously except to say she was very "trim" (I didn't bother
to ask regarding her bowel habits, etc. : )

Outside woman's period time, when she wakes up in the morning, stay in bed and
measure the body temperature. It has to be minimum 36.2C. If lower than that,
she has under active thyroid. Common medication for that is Synthroid(commonly
called thyroid pills) carefully measured dose
according to blood test. The drug is taken once a day in the morning and
it lasts about 5 -6 hours. Long term use or over dose has side effects.

That is why some woman feels always cold.

But this isn't just "feeling" cold (or, maybe we're using different
terms?). SWMBO's (and this lady mentioned previously) hands *are* cold.
If she puts them on my face, it's a noticeable chill. Mine, OTOH,
are very warm. As I said, this woman was holding my hands as if
they were something to be cherished!

I suspect if I used a non-contact thermometer to measure my skin
temperature (and that of this lady and SWMBO -- along with other
women), I would *see* that difference in temperatures.

There are quite a few natural
supplements and vitamins, minerals which will help the situation. Also
Thyroid gland affects female hormone state. These women suffer more when
menopause hits. Over the year we came across hundreds of women with this
problem. Doctors were most often no help because they only look at blood test
result. Nowadays we even see men or children with the problem. It is said
thyroid gland is most sensitive to environmental change(pollution). Since
Japan's Tsunami, nuclear power plant accident,
there is an increase in thyroid problems in Japan.

I understood that the thyroid is very sensitive to radiation -- of
all sorts. So, radiation leaks like Fukushima Daiichi would be
*direct* causes of such problems (?)
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Vlad Lescovitz" wrote in message ...

The wife doesn't like the house being set at 55 degrees
so she (and the teen) take long showers, only leaving
the bathroom when the 50 gallon ho****er tank runs cold.

My propane ho****er heater is set to something like 135 degrees.
That means a lot of hot water is going down the drain.

I wonder - is there a calculation done on how much
energy it takes to heat 50 gallons of water with propane
versus how much energy it takes to heat a house by 5
degrees with propane?

Maybe it is cheaper to just heat the house more?

MY house is 74 and at time I am not happy with that
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/31/2015 3:35 PM, Don Y wrote:

First step is understanding the problem(s) -- on both sides!

There is only one side to understand. Anyone keeping the house at 55
with a wife and child is an inconsiderate abusive prick.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Don Y wrote:
[...]

I don't get cold very often, and since we've added the radiator heaters
in 2 rooms I find I'm a bit too warm!

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 31 Dec 2015 04:43:28 -0500, Micky
wrote:

The only reason is the dirt that settles out. Oh, and once I left
the tub water dripping and it almost overflowed the tub!

So you got one of those idiot tubs without an overflow. I replaced a tub
for that reason. Of course you shouldn't let the water drip either.
But tubs and sinks without overflows are assinine.

I wish toilets had some sort of overflow drains too, so when they plug,
they would not run all over the floor....

Posted to alt.home.repair

Muggles writes:

[...]

When I was young kid living in town before we moved to the farm, the house was heated by a floor furnace. My younger siblings wound up with brands burned into their skin from the hot floor furnace grill. Dang! Every fraking thing was dangerous when I was a kid. Š™.˜‰

[8~{} Uncle Furnace Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/31/2015 2:58 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 12/31/2015 3:35 PM, Don Y wrote:

First step is understanding the problem(s) -- on both sides!

There is only one side to understand. Anyone keeping the house at 55 with a
wife and child is an inconsiderate abusive prick.

What if the only other option is sleeping under a bridge?? Would
that be a better option for all involved?

I had a neighbor who was always burning her fireplace. The smoke
was really irritating to me (allergies, etc.). I commented to
another neighbor, one day, his reply: she has no *heat* in the
house; wood is relatively easy to come by but the gas company wants
cash money!

I'm just a little less willing to jump to conclusions without
knowing the entire story. E.g., if he wanted to be truly abusive,
he could limit their showers, turn off the hot water (except when
HE wanted it), etc.

The fact that he's looking at increasing the house temperature +5F
as a means of mitigating the (apparent) "need" for those long showers
suggests he's trying to be reasonable (at least, in HIS mind).
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, December 31, 2015 at 1:16:05 PM UTC-6, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

The more active I am, the cooler I want my living space. When I was younger, I had much more muscle mass and the heat produced by my active muscles kept me warm at lower temperatures. I'm now older and colder. *I made a rhyme* ヽ(ヅ)ノ

[8~{} Uncle Warm Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, December 31, 2015 at 3:58:08 PM UTC-6, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 12/31/2015 3:35 PM, Don Y wrote:

First step is understanding the problem(s) -- on both sides!

There is only one side to understand. Anyone keeping the house at 55
with a wife and child is an inconsiderate abusive prick.

Those damn Eskimos, they are so mean to their children. ヽ(ヅ)ノ

[8~{} Uncle Cold Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/31/2015 5:21 PM, Don Y wrote:
On 12/31/2015 2:58 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 12/31/2015 3:35 PM, Don Y wrote:

First step is understanding the problem(s) -- on both sides!

There is only one side to understand. Anyone keeping the house at 55
with a
wife and child is an inconsiderate abusive prick.

What if the only other option is sleeping under a bridge?? Would
that be a better option for all involved?

It may be he is just pulling our collective leg too. There is heating
assistance available too.

I'm just a little less willing to jump to conclusions without
knowing the entire story. E.g., if he wanted to be truly abusive,
he could limit their showers, turn off the hot water (except when
HE wanted it), etc.

The fact that he's looking at increasing the house temperature +5F
as a means of mitigating the (apparent) "need" for those long showers
suggests he's trying to be reasonable (at least, in HIS mind).

That just means he is irrational, but still a prick.

I do know a guy that keeps his house at 55-60, but he lives alone and is
rarely in the house aside from sleeping.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
[...]

I still have a bit of suspicion OP could be a troll.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Muggles writes:

[...]

I remember teaching my kids to avoid the floor furnace!

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, December 31, 2015 at 10:21:55 PM UTC-6, Tony Hwang wrote:
Ed Pawlowski wrote:
[...]

Trolls sleep under bridges don't they? Š™.˜‰

[8~{} Uncle Bridge Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/31/2015 4:58 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 12/31/2015 3:35 PM, Don Y wrote:

First step is understanding the problem(s) -- on both sides!

There is only one side to understand. Anyone keeping the house at 55
with a wife and child is an inconsiderate abusive prick.

Way to start the new year! Big load of common sense.

All usenet posters should be this observant. Good job!

(But, on the flip side, 55F cuts down on spoiled chicken
the next day. And, 55, it's not just a good idea, it's
the law. Thermostat cops will see you before you see them.)

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

Vlad Lescovitz posted for all of us...

The wife doesn't like the house being set at 55 degrees
so she (and the teen) take long showers, only leaving
the bathroom when the 50 gallon ho****er tank runs cold.

My propane ho****er heater is set to something like 135 degrees.
That means a lot of hot water is going down the drain.

I wonder - is there a calculation done on how much
energy it takes to heat 50 gallons of water with propane
versus how much energy it takes to heat a house by 5
degrees with propane?

Maybe it is cheaper to just heat the house more?

I haven't read all the replies and I'll leave the personal opinion out. Why
not just zone out the bathroom with its own thermostat? Limit it to certain
times. Or get one of those in wall heaters with a timer?

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

When you take a shower, most of the
heat of the water is released into the
air in the form of heat or humidity.
The water that goes down the drain is Luke
warm. And even that heat is not totally
lost as it heats the pipes in the wall.
By the time the waste water leaves
your house, it has given up most of the
heat. Enjoy the hot shower. It is
one of the true benefits of modern life.

Heat lost through windows Timothy Murphy[_4_] UK diy 8 October 14th 14 12:33 PM
Steaming! TrailRat Woodworking 17 July 9th 11 12:53 AM
Steaming! TrailRat Woodworking 1 July 1st 11 02:43 PM
Steam. Steaming. curixmann Home Repair 0 March 19th 07 01:28 PM
Steaming Warwick UK diy 13 December 21st 05 09:11 AM