Posted to alt.home.repair
Muggles[_7_] Muggles[_7_] is offline

Default How much heat is lost in a steaming hot shower anyway?

On 12/31/2015 11:48 AM, Moe DeLoughan wrote:
On 12/31/2015 10:54 AM, Muggles wrote:
On 12/31/2015 10:40 AM, Moe DeLoughan wrote:
On 12/31/2015 8:45 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Thursday, December 31, 2015 at 8:11:46 AM UTC-5, Moe DeLoughan
wrote:
On 12/30/2015 6:06 PM, Vlad Lescovitz wrote:
The wife doesn't like the house being set at 55 degrees
so she (and the teen)

How poor are you that you can only afford to keep your house at 55 F?
There's no way in hell I'd subject my family to that unless
financially I had no choice - and I'm a tightass.

I keep our house at 58 F at night, 62 F during the day - but I allow
an override up to 65 F if anyone's at home.

You *allow* an override?
How gracious of you!

It's my house, and I'm the one that pays the bills, so unless they want
to provide money for the energy bill, it's my call. That's how I was
raised and it always made perfect sense to me. It's reasonably
comfortable as long as you're dressed for winter, not summer, meaning
long pants, socks, and sweaters or sweatshirts. If you're sitting still,
grab a lap blanket.

Does your wife clean the house, do the dishes, cook your meals, wash
your clothes, or anything else I've not listed?

No wife. I do most everything myself, though my elderly mom sometimes
cooks or washes out of sheer boredom - something I don't want her to do
for safety's sake.

No wife, no harm then! Doesn't your mom get cold?

I've heard that sort of argument before and to me it's just a selfish
and disrespectful mindset that never takes into consideration the value
of anything that wife does in the home.

I agree. If I had a wife, her labor would be her contribution.
Otherwise, if you're staying with me because you're a relative in dire
financial straits, well - you are welcome to stay till you get back on
your feet. That's what family should do. It's my house, so I'll do the
upkeep. You spend your time looking for work, or working to earn money.

That makes MUCH more sense to me. You can't make it too comfy or
they'll never want to get back on their own.

If you're feeling cold, *you* decide if you want to turn over some of
your money towards the energy bill, or if you'd rather put it towards
your savings goal toward getting a place of your own. But if I'm willing
to live colder than I'd prefer in order to save my money for better
things, it won't hurt you to do the same, as long as you're living with
(off) me.

Now, that's something I totally agree with!

--
Maggie