Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How much heat is lost in a steaming hot shower anyway?

On Thursday, December 31, 2015 at 1:16:05 PM UTC-6, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Thursday, December 31, 2015 at 1:50:54 PM UTC-5, Art Todesco wrote:
On 12/30/2015 7:06 PM, Vlad Lescovitz wrote:
The wife doesn't like the house being set at 55 degrees
so she (and the teen) take long showers, only leaving
the bathroom when the 50 gallon ho****er tank runs cold.

My propane ho****er heater is set to something like 135 degrees.
That means a lot of hot water is going down the drain.

I wonder - is there a calculation done on how much
energy it takes to heat 50 gallons of water with propane
versus how much energy it takes to heat a house by 5
degrees with propane?

Maybe it is cheaper to just heat the house more?

I personally think 55 is too cold, especially the older you get, to be
comfortable. We keep it in the upper 60s. But, I do have electric
heaters (heater/exhaust fan/light/night light) in both bathrooms for
nice toasty showers and baths. Had them in our bathrooms in my previous
house too. We wouldn't have it any other way.

Up until this year, 67-68 was fine for us. Now, 68-69 seems to be the
norm.

I wonder if anyone has factored the aging population and associated
increase in thermostat settings into the global warming equation. ;-)

The more active I am, the cooler I want my living space. When I was younger, I had much more muscle mass and the heat produced by my active muscles kept me warm at lower temperatures. I'm now older and colder. *I made a rhyme* ヽ(ヅ)ノ

[8~{} Uncle Warm Monster