Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Y[_3_] Don Y[_3_] is offline

Default How much heat is lost in a steaming hot shower anyway?

On 12/30/2015 11:31 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:
Don Y wrote:
On 12/30/2015 9:50 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:

OTOH, I notice that women tend to *feel* cold moreso than men.
I dropped SWMBO off at one of her classes a week or two back
and one of her classmates was shivering violently (probably
40F at that hour of the morning). She put her palms on my face
and I damn near jumped out of my skin! I put *mine* on hers
and it was as if there was a sizzling sound from their warmth
against her face. Awkward as she insisted on holding my hands
there... ("Honest, Honey, I don't KNOW the lady!!")

Woman in menopause has hot flash.

No, this woman's hands were genuinely cold ("I damn near jumped
out of my skin!") while mine were *warm*. I think male/female
circulation must be different.

Likewise, women tend to be more "bundled up" than men when you
see them out-and-about. Hard to imagine they're just "less
manly"...

~90% of woman has under active thyroid(hypo thyroid symptom). When it is border
line case, blood test does not register.

I know the MD routinely checks TSH any time she (SWMBO) has bloodwork
done. He's never commented that it was an issue and it's never been
"flagged" in the (numeric) test results she receives.

Of course, if 90% of women *truly* have underactive thyroids, then the
test limits -- which are derived from empirical observations of the
population of *women* -- will tend to be skewed towards the lower end
making more of these "underperformers" actually look "normal".

Main cause of weight gain, poor
energy, poor mood, feeling like depressed, even could cause
constipation, sleep problem, etc. In this case there is a way to confirm the
symptom by BBT method. Dr. Barne's Basal temperature method.

SWMBO has none of these "problems". I can't comment about the lady I
mentioned previously except to say she was very "trim" (I didn't bother
to ask regarding her bowel habits, etc. : )

Outside woman's period time, when she wakes up in the morning, stay in bed and
measure the body temperature. It has to be minimum 36.2C. If lower than that,
she has under active thyroid. Common medication for that is Synthroid(commonly
called thyroid pills) carefully measured dose
according to blood test. The drug is taken once a day in the morning and
it lasts about 5 -6 hours. Long term use or over dose has side effects.

That is why some woman feels always cold.

But this isn't just "feeling" cold (or, maybe we're using different
terms?). SWMBO's (and this lady mentioned previously) hands *are* cold.
If she puts them on my face, it's a noticeable chill. Mine, OTOH,
are very warm. As I said, this woman was holding my hands as if
they were something to be cherished!

I suspect if I used a non-contact thermometer to measure my skin
temperature (and that of this lady and SWMBO -- along with other
women), I would *see* that difference in temperatures.

There are quite a few natural
supplements and vitamins, minerals which will help the situation. Also
Thyroid gland affects female hormone state. These women suffer more when
menopause hits. Over the year we came across hundreds of women with this
problem. Doctors were most often no help because they only look at blood test
result. Nowadays we even see men or children with the problem. It is said
thyroid gland is most sensitive to environmental change(pollution). Since
Japan's Tsunami, nuclear power plant accident,
there is an increase in thyroid problems in Japan.

I understood that the thyroid is very sensitive to radiation -- of
all sorts. So, radiation leaks like Fukushima Daiichi would be
*direct* causes of such problems (?)