Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Incandescent - Florescent - LED - or *NEON*

Anyone that knows something about electric knows that LED lights use far
less power than incandescent bulbs, and florescent bulbs fall somewhere
in the middle. So, we went from Incandescent to CFL (florescent) and now
LED is the best choice.

But one type of lighting that seems to be ignored are NEON lights. You
see them in every bar and many restaurants and some other places, but I
have never heard any power ratings for them. The typical bar signs are
multi-colored and do not always put out adaquate lighting, but what
would happen if neon tubes were white and sold in strips like florescent
bulbs (2' 4' 8' and so on)?

Using them in that way would likely give adaquate lighting, but I'm
curious to how they would rate compared to Incandescent, Florescent, or
LED....

Has anyone ever seen any power ratings, and comparisons for them?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 26 Dec 2015 04:24:40 -0600, wrote:

[...]

I noticed no one replied to this, and I went and googled the topic. I
found this article.
http://www.305art.com/Greenovate-LED-VS-NEON.html
There is a big difference in power consumption.

---- From this website -----

Lighting Source Neon LED Module

Power Usage per foot 20 watts 1.2 watts
Nominal Installation 100
100
x Power Consumption 20 watts 1.2 watts
= Total 2,000 watts
120 watts
x 12 hours/day 24,000 watts 1,440
watts
x 365 days 8,760,000 525,600
watts
/1000 = annual kilowatt hour 8,760
525.6
x cost per kilowatt hour $0.15
$0.15
Total Annual Energy Cost $1314 $78.84

--------------------------

I thought Neon was more like florescent and did not consume all that
much power, but I was very wrong.

This explains why I've been seeing more bar (and other) signs that look
like neon, but are actually LED.

One thing lacking here, is the LUMENS (amount of light) for the
comparison, but even if the neon was producing more lumens, the cost
comparison speaks for itself.

Annual cost $1,314 Neon V/S $78.84 LED.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 26 Dec 2015 18:36:03 -0700, Tony Hwang wrote:

One thing lacking here, is the LUMENS (amount of light) for the
comparison, but even if the neon was producing more lumens, the cost
comparison speaks for itself.

Annual cost $1,314 Neon V/S $78.84 LED.

Neon also needs HV.

Yep, I know all about that. When I was in my teens, I got a HV
transformer from one of those neon signs, when they were demolishing a
bar. I plugged it in and had fun making spark strips. At least I never
got zapped by it.... But I have gotten zapped by car ignition coils, and
it dont feel good! That's worse than an electric fence. My guess is that
both a neon transformer and car ign coil are around the same voltage.
They both throw a longer spark than an elec fence, and I know for fact
that elec fences are generally 5000V or lower, (depending on brand,
length of fence, and conditions such as weeds touching the fence).
But I have literally been knocked on my butt by elec fences too.

Electric fences contain "cus words" in their zap. Everytime one of them
"bites" me. my worst vocabulary comes out....

Here's something most non-farm people dont know. If you take one of
those little neon testers, used to test outlets for voltage, and hold
the tester NEAR the fence, it will light up. -OR- Take a florescent bulb
and hold it NEAR an elec fence, and it too will light up. You DONT need
to make actual electrical contact to the fence itself.

I have seen my horses walk up to an elec fence and put their nose near
the fence. About 3" from it, and they know whether it's "live" or not. I
have one pony who tries to get out of his fence, and he does this "nose
near fence" thing thing, before he trys to escape. If the fence is not
turned on, or not working, he just works his way under the fence wire
and gets out. (The grass is always greener on the other side of the
fence). I have a fence tester that checks to make sure it works, and it
even tells me the approximate voltage.