Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Hwang Tony Hwang is offline

Default Incandescent - Florescent - LED - or *NEON*

wrote:
On Sat, 26 Dec 2015 04:24:40 -0600,
wrote:

Anyone that knows something about electric knows that LED lights use far
less power than incandescent bulbs, and florescent bulbs fall somewhere
in the middle. So, we went from Incandescent to CFL (florescent) and now
LED is the best choice.

But one type of lighting that seems to be ignored are NEON lights. You
see them in every bar and many restaurants and some other places, but I
have never heard any power ratings for them. The typical bar signs are
multi-colored and do not always put out adaquate lighting, but what
would happen if neon tubes were white and sold in strips like florescent
bulbs (2' 4' 8' and so on)?

Using them in that way would likely give adaquate lighting, but I'm
curious to how they would rate compared to Incandescent, Florescent, or
LED....

Has anyone ever seen any power ratings, and comparisons for them?

I noticed no one replied to this, and I went and googled the topic. I
found this article.
http://www.305art.com/Greenovate-LED-VS-NEON.html
There is a big difference in power consumption.

---- From this website -----

Lighting Source Neon LED Module

Power Usage per foot 20 watts 1.2 watts
Nominal Installation 100
100
x Power Consumption 20 watts 1.2 watts
= Total 2,000 watts
120 watts
x 12 hours/day 24,000 watts 1,440
watts
x 365 days 8,760,000 525,600
watts
/1000 = annual kilowatt hour 8,760
525.6
x cost per kilowatt hour $0.15
$0.15
Total Annual Energy Cost $1314 $78.84

I thought Neon was more like florescent and did not consume all that
much power, but I was very wrong.

This explains why I've been seeing more bar (and other) signs that look
like neon, but are actually LED.

One thing lacking here, is the LUMENS (amount of light) for the
comparison, but even if the neon was producing more lumens, the cost
comparison speaks for itself.

Annual cost $1,314 Neon V/S $78.84 LED.

Neon also needs HV.