Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Romex through Cinder block

My garage is cinder block. I'm installing two outdoor motion sensor
decorated accent lights on each side of my garage door. I'm mounting the
fixture directly to the block, drilling a hole through the block and
running Romex through to the inside of the garage, which will then
continue the run into the breaker panel. When running the Romex through
the cinder block from the fixture on the outside to the inside, I am
planning to insert a piece of conduit or PVC in the drilled hole, then
running Romex through it. Is this the best option to run the wire to panel?

Thanks
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/25/2015 5:02 PM, Meanie wrote:
My garage is cinder block. I'm installing two outdoor motion sensor
decorated accent lights on each side of my garage door. I'm mounting the
fixture directly to the block, drilling a hole through the block and
running Romex through to the inside of the garage, which will then
continue the run into the breaker panel. When running the Romex through
the cinder block from the fixture on the outside to the inside, I am
planning to insert a piece of conduit or PVC in the drilled hole, then
running Romex through it. Is this the best option to run the wire to panel?

Thanks

That's what I would do and seal it with silicone caulk.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/25/2015 3:02 PM, Meanie wrote:
My garage is cinder block. I'm installing two outdoor motion sensor decorated
accent lights on each side of my garage door. I'm mounting the fixture directly
to the block,

So, *no* Jbox on which to hang the fixture? How do you plan on
connecting (wiring) the fixture to the ROMEX conductors? Where
do you expect the service loop to be stored -- tucked inside the
block wall??

drilling a hole through the block and running Romex through to
the inside of the garage, which will then continue the run into the breaker

What's on the *inside* of the block wall? Will you just have a
piece of ROMEX poking out a hole, draped along the wall/through the
ceiling to the loadcenter?

panel. When running the Romex through the cinder block from the fixture on the
outside to the inside, I am planning to insert a piece of conduit or PVC in the
drilled hole, then running Romex through it. Is this the best option to run the
wire to panel?

Define "best". : Do you care about Code or just want to get the lights
lit? :

Here, I install boxes *in* the block so there is a place for the
wires to terminate *and* for the fixture to attach. Just like you'd
encounter *in* an interior wall...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/25/2015 5:45 PM, Don Y wrote:

So, *no* Jbox on which to hang the fixture? How do you plan on
connecting (wiring) the fixture to the ROMEX conductors? Where
do you expect the service loop to be stored -- tucked inside the
block wall??

The fixture is it's own junction box and mounted on a bracket already
screwed onto the cinder block exterior. The wires will be connected in it.

What's on the *inside* of the block wall? Will you just have a
piece of ROMEX poking out a hole, draped along the wall/through the
ceiling to the loadcenter?

Pretty much that. It'll exit the hole on the inside and run to the
panel. No junction box is required per code.

Define "best". : Do you care about Code or just want to get the lights
lit? :

The method I'm following is within code.

Here, I install boxes *in* the block so there is a place for the
wires to terminate *and* for the fixture to attach. Just like you'd
encounter *in* an interior wall...

No need. See above for mounting info.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 25 Dec 2015 17:02:27 -0500, Meanie
wrote:

My garage is cinder block. I'm installing two outdoor motion sensor
decorated accent lights on each side of my garage door. I'm mounting the
fixture directly to the block, drilling a hole through the block and
running Romex through to the inside of the garage, which will then
continue the run into the breaker panel. When running the Romex through
the cinder block from the fixture on the outside to the inside, I am
planning to insert a piece of conduit or PVC in the drilled hole, then
running Romex through it. Is this the best option to run the wire to panel?

Thanks

It is legal to fish romex directly through the cores of concrete
block. The issue is when it comes out. Exposed sections need to be
protected from damage
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 12/25/2015 4:53 PM, Meanie wrote:
On 12/25/2015 5:45 PM, Don Y wrote:

What's on the *inside* of the block wall? Will you just have a
piece of ROMEX poking out a hole, draped along the wall/through the
ceiling to the loadcenter?

Pretty much that. It'll exit the hole on the inside and run to the
panel. No junction box is required per code.

Define "best". : Do you care about Code or just want to get the lights
lit? :

The method I'm following is within code.

I'm pretty sure Code doesn't allow unprotected Romex along the exposed
wall inside the garage area. Whether it did or not, just me, I'd run it
in conduit if no place else to hide it "just because"

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/25/2015 7:57 PM, dpb wrote:
On 12/25/2015 4:53 PM, Meanie wrote:
On 12/25/2015 5:45 PM, Don Y wrote:

What's on the *inside* of the block wall? Will you just have a
piece of ROMEX poking out a hole, draped along the wall/through the
ceiling to the loadcenter?

Pretty much that. It'll exit the hole on the inside and run to the
panel. No junction box is required per code.

Define "best". : Do you care about Code or just want to get the lights
lit? :

The method I'm following is within code.

I'm pretty sure Code doesn't allow unprotected Romex along the exposed
wall inside the garage area. Whether it did or not, just me, I'd run it
in conduit if no place else to hide it "just because"

According to an electrician, it isn't code, BUT, after more thought, I
agree with you and can't see how it wouldn't be code since the exposed
romex could be penetrated along it's run. Thus, the conduit will protect
it. I will run conduit to be safe.

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

My garage is cinder block. I'm installing two outdoor motion sensor
decorated accent lights on each side of my garage door. I'm mounting the
fixture directly to the block, drilling a hole through the block and
running Romex through to the inside of the garage, which will then
continue the run into the breaker panel. When running the Romex through
the cinder block from the fixture on the outside to the inside, I am
planning to insert a piece of conduit or PVC in the drilled hole, then
running Romex through it. Is this the best option to run the wire to panel?

Thanks

It is legal to fish romex directly through the cores of concrete
block. The issue is when it comes out. Exposed sections need to be
protected from damage

What about using UF to go through a concrete wall? That's what I did when I couldn't use a sleeve. When I used a sleeve, I used 1/2 PVC conduit and silicone sealant around it then ran the Romex through the sleeve to the fixture. I didn't check code, I just used common sense and considered ways the standard Romex might be damaged or get wet. Any fixture always got a bead of sealant in a U shape, open at the bottom so any water could drip out. (€¢€¿€¢)

[8~{} Uncle Wire Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 25 Dec 2015 17:12:15 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 12/25/2015 5:02 PM, Meanie wrote:
My garage is cinder block. I'm installing two outdoor motion sensor
decorated accent lights on each side of my garage door. I'm mounting the
fixture directly to the block, drilling a hole through the block and
running Romex through to the inside of the garage, which will then
continue the run into the breaker panel. When running the Romex through
the cinder block from the fixture on the outside to the inside, I am
planning to insert a piece of conduit or PVC in the drilled hole, then
running Romex through it. Is this the best option to run the wire to panel?

Thanks

That's what I would do and seal it with silicone caulk.

Or better yet, the normal "dum-dum"or "Duxseal"

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 25 Dec 2015 17:12:15 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 12/25/2015 5:02 PM, Meanie wrote:
My garage is cinder block. I'm installing two outdoor motion sensor
decorated accent lights on each side of my garage door. I'm mounting the
fixture directly to the block, drilling a hole through the block and
running Romex through to the inside of the garage, which will then
continue the run into the breaker panel. When running the Romex through
the cinder block from the fixture on the outside to the inside, I am
planning to insert a piece of conduit or PVC in the drilled hole, then
running Romex through it. Is this the best option to run the wire to panel?

Thanks

That's what I would do and seal it with silicone caulk.

Without seeing it, this all sounds fine, as long as you mount proper
electrical boxes for the lights. I agree to seal it with silicone, which
will keep bugs from getting into the boxes (and maybe mice too).

Romex should be stapled, so I'd take it straight to a wooden rafter, or
you can attach a strip of wood on the wall to fasten the wire. Or just
run it thru conduit where it crosses the block wall, until you get to
wood.

If you run it thru metal conduit, be sure to deburr the ends.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 12/26/2015 7:20 AM, Meanie wrote:

I've opted to use conduit and help protect the romex.

Whether actually req'd or not, it just looks so much better...my
understanding was that "exposed" in unfinished space meant still thru
wall, not on the wall surface directly exposed. But, I don't have new
NEC at hand (2011+?) w/ the Art 334(?by recollection) and clear
definitions to refer to directly...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 26 Dec 2015 08:46:21 -0600, dpb wrote:

On 12/26/2015 7:20 AM, Meanie wrote:

I've opted to use conduit and help protect the romex.

Whether actually req'd or not, it just looks so much better...my
understanding was that "exposed" in unfinished space meant still thru
wall, not on the wall surface directly exposed. But, I don't have new
NEC at hand (2011+?) w/ the Art 334(?by recollection) and clear
definitions to refer to directly...

The current cycle is 2014 but there are plenty of places still on the
11 or even 08 or earlier.
The thing that is consistent is that "Exposed to physical damage" is
ambiguous and "extreme damage" is even more ambiguous in the code.
A lot is left to local interpretation and custom. That is particularly
true about Romex in utility spaces in a dwelling. Where I was in
Maryland, above 4' it could just be stapled to running boards. In
Florida they want some kind of raceway but Smurf will do in most
places. Other places want EMT. The wild cards are MC/AC cable and
Smurf. The perception is they are tougher than Romex but the NEC rules
are the same in reference to physical damage.
Posted to alt.home.repair

--

Agreed. It'll be much more aesthetically pleasing.

cinder block cover Kevin Home Repair 5 October 30th 06 12:25 AM
Cinder block wall J Hawkes Home Repair 4 December 15th 05 04:21 AM
Sheetmetal to Cinder Block Sunworshipper Metalworking 2 December 16th 04 06:47 PM
Right Insulation over cinder block rhartin Home Repair 2 October 5th 04 02:54 PM
Splitting a cinder block Bill White Home Repair 4 August 21st 04 05:28 PM