Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How to pump the gas out of auto gas tank?

My gas tank on my truck must have a small leak. For a couple weeks I
always smell gas outside the truck, especially after I drive it. I know
how to change it, but I'm looking for ideas how to pump out the gas.
I know NOT to use anything that would spark, such as one of those little
drill operated pumps, since the brushes in the drill motor spark.

One thought I have, is to disconnect the fuel line at the fuel pump, and
just use that (in the tank) fuel pump to pump it out and into gas cans.
Basically, remove the fuel filter and clamp a piece of fuel line to the
line and insert it in a gas can. Then turn the ignition key to the START
position.

Does anyone know if this will work?
(Maybe those pumps are meant to shut off if the gas flow is high??? I
dont know???)

In the old days, I would have used a siphon, but the old method of
sucking it out with one's mouth is NOT an option. I did that when I was
young and stupid and got gas in my mouth. I know they sell (or used to
sell?) siphon pumps (a rubber squeeze bubble in a hose), but wonder if I
can get it into the tank, since modern tanks have that little nozzle
flapper in them????

* Of course I'll let the the gas level get low before I attempt this....

Any other suggestions???