Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Quote From Time Warner For Cable Service

A co-worker just showed me a quote to have Time Warner Cable run service
to his house. TWC told him that the nearest point for them to tie into
an existing junction is ~7000 feet away.

They said that they would be happy to run cable to his house. All he has
to do is pay them $44,000.

He's planning to stick with satellite for now.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message
A co-worker just showed me a quote to have Time Warner Cable run service
to his house. TWC told him that the nearest point for them to tie into
an existing junction is ~7000 feet away.

They said that they would be happy to run cable to his house. All he has
to do is pay them $44,000.

He's planning to stick with satellite for now.

Can he explain his reasoning?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, December 4, 2015 at 12:45:47 PM UTC-5, taxed and spent wrote:
"DerbyDad03" wrote in message
A co-worker just showed me a quote to have Time Warner Cable run service
to his house. TWC told him that the nearest point for them to tie into
an existing junction is ~7000 feet away.

They said that they would be happy to run cable to his house. All he has
to do is pay them $44,000.

He's planning to stick with satellite for now.

Can he explain his reasoning?

His reasoning for what? Sticking with satellite? It should apparent.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 4 Dec 2015 09:45:35 -0800, "taxed and spent"
wrote:

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message
A co-worker just showed me a quote to have Time Warner Cable run service
to his house. TWC told him that the nearest point for them to tie into
an existing junction is ~7000 feet away.

They said that they would be happy to run cable to his house. All he has
to do is pay them $44,000.

He's planning to stick with satellite for now.

Can he explain his reasoning?

I already have cable hanging on the side of my house and I still went
for satellite.
I don't know about TW but Comcast sucks. When we had a small
independent cable company it was great but comcast soured me on the
whole business. Lousy service, reliability sucks and they really don't
care when you complain about it.
I had my most enjoyable day with comcast when I cut the cable and set
their equipment out by the mailbox.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, December 4, 2015 at 11:53:36 AM UTC-6, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Friday, December 4, 2015 at 12:45:47 PM UTC-5, taxed and spent wrote:

Can he explain his reasoning?

His reasoning for what? Sticking with satellite? It should apparent.

....call yourself Homer for responding! (œ–•*•®œ–)

Posted to alt.home.repair

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message
A co-worker just showed me a quote to have Time Warner Cable run service
to his house. TWC told him that the nearest point for them to tie into
an existing junction is ~7000 feet away.

They said that they would be happy to run cable to his house. All he has
to do is pay them $44,000.

He's planning to stick with satellite for now.

Friend had to pay abut $ 3500 for cable to his house. The cable went by the
road,but his house was was off the road. He paid it as his wife did a lot
of web page writing at home and he also did a lot of internet for some of
his work.
No other option at the timefor the high speed internet he needed.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message
A co-worker just showed me a quote to have Time Warner Cable run service
to his house. TWC told him that the nearest point for them to tie into
an existing junction is ~7000 feet away.

They said that they would be happy to run cable to his house. All he has
to do is pay them $44,000.

He's planning to stick with satellite for now.

Can he explain his reasoning?

I already have cable hanging on the side of my house and I still went
for satellite.
I don't know about TW but Comcast sucks. When we had a small
independent cable company it was great but comcast soured me on the
whole business. Lousy service, reliability sucks and they really don't
care when you complain about it.
I had my most enjoyable day with comcast when I cut the cable and set
their equipment out by the mailbox.

I have cable at home, satellite at work.

Every time we get a severe rain or snow storm, the satellite either
freaks out or goes out - sometimes for hours. That never happens with
cable. The cable outages have been so few and far between as to be
almost non-existent.

I've always looked at it this way: On the worst nights of the year,
those nights when I'm going to want to be inside, possibly watching
TV, why would I want to to use a system that is prone to be unreliable
during those very times?

I imagine Sundays in winter when I want to watch football and my
satellite goes out because of a blizzard. No thanks, I'm good with
TWC.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, December 4, 2015 at 1:02:00 PM UTC-5, Ralph Mowery wrote:
"DerbyDad03" wrote in message
A co-worker just showed me a quote to have Time Warner Cable run service
to his house. TWC told him that the nearest point for them to tie into
an existing junction is ~7000 feet away.

They said that they would be happy to run cable to his house. All he has
to do is pay them $44,000.

He's planning to stick with satellite for now.

Friend had to pay abut $ 3500 for cable to his house. The cable went by the
road,but his house was was off the road. He paid it as his wife did a lot
of web page writing at home and he also did a lot of internet for some of
his work.
No other option at the timefor the high speed internet he needed.

I just did some Googling. I'm seeing people complaining about quotes
from TWC for ~$3K to run hardline 500 ft from the road to the house.

I did some math:

7000 ft/500 ft = 14
14 X $3K = $42K

Seems like the $44K that my co-worker showed me is right in line with
what others have been quoted.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message
I just did some Googling. I'm seeing people complaining about quotes
from TWC for ~$3K to run hardline 500 ft from the road to the house.

I did some math:

7000 ft/500 ft = 14
14 X $3K = $42K

Seems like the $44K that my co-worker showed me is right in line with
what others have been quoted.

For 7000 feet probably not too much out of range. That cable probably costs
2 to 4 dollars a foot, then some poles (lease from power company) or burry
cost and maybe an amplifier or two.

I had cable up to a few months ago. They seemed to keep going up and when
they wanted to install digital boxes at each tv and charge for them , I went
to direct tv and kept the cable for the internet. Direct tv had a special
low rate for a year and some premium stations for a low rate for a while.
They even want to charge several dollars a month for the modem , or you can
buy your own which is what I did.

About 3 months ago they upped the speed from 15 to 50 meg. The modem I had
was not rated for that , so bought the one they recommended on their web
site and only get from 22 to 35 meg for the download. I do get about 5.5 to
6 meg on the upload which they rate at 5.
Don't recall what the old modem would do on the 50 meg rated system, but
probably should have just kept it as it is rated for about 30 or 35 meg.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/04/2015 12:32 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
A co-worker just showed me a quote to have Time Warner Cable run service
to his house. TWC told him that the nearest point for them to tie into
an existing junction is ~7000 feet away.

They said that they would be happy to run cable to his house. All he has
to do is pay them $44,000.

He's planning to stick with satellite for now.

For TV service, there's not much difference between satellite and cable. At one time, cable held the advantage of not requiring a set-top box
and monthly rental fees. Because of all the deadbeats, both cable and satellite now require a STB that they can shut off for non payment.

Internet is a totally different beast. If you want decent Internet service, go cable.

FWIW, I have Comcast (150 megabit down, 20 megabit up) Internet service. Comcast packages the local broadcast stations and a few other channels
free with Internet but I don't watch them.

I became tired of my TV shows being constantly interrupted by sports games, weather "emergencies", political bull**** and of course those
****ing annoying TV commercials. I now buy commercial-free TV shows from Amazon. It's totally worth it to watch a show without those God damn
mother ****ing commercials.

I have no idea if Time Warner is any good but I'd probably pay the $44k to get Internet service from Comcast.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Rojo Pene" wrote in message
eb.com...
I became tired of my TV shows being constantly interrupted by sports
games, weather "emergencies", political bull**** and of course those

****ing annoying TV commercials.

When I went to direct tv I got the recorder box and can hit a button on the
recordered shows that fast forwards it 30 seconds at a time.
I don't watch many shows in real time and knock off about 15 minuits of
every hour show.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Is that 7000 feet on your property or on the public road?

Either way, it might be cheaper for you to install your own cable run from your house to their service and just have them feed it.

Mark

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

My experience is the opposite here. The cable went out all the time. I
had to turn off the logging on my weather station because it was full.
After a hurricane, the TV was out for a week and internet was over 2
weeks. They just have too much equipment hanging on poles.
The service really sucks. My wife has a commercial Comcast account and
they are no better. (799 captive customers and the whole HOA office)

I have Dish and DSL now. The DSL pretty much never goes out and if it
does, it is only a few minutes. It always seems to be fixed at the CO.
The sat only goes out in the worst storm and that doesn't last that
long. If the storm is that bad I want to see what the local weather
says about it and I get that over the air anyway. OTH never goes out.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 4 Dec 2015 13:51:21 -0500, "Ralph Mowery"
wrote:

[...]

You are not going any faster than the slowest link in the data path so
don't get to jolly on what a speed test tells you.
It is like SPF numbers on suntan lotion.

If I was trying to justify running a mile and a half of hardline, I
would certainly look at sat as an option. Data is expensive but yikes,
so is the cable.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, December 4, 2015 at 2:45:07 PM UTC-5, Rojo Pene wrote:
On 12/04/2015 12:32 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
A co-worker just showed me a quote to have Time Warner Cable run service
to his house. TWC told him that the nearest point for them to tie into
an existing junction is ~7000 feet away.

They said that they would be happy to run cable to his house. All he has
to do is pay them $44,000.

He's planning to stick with satellite for now.

For TV service, there's not much difference between satellite and cable.

Other than weather related issues.

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/4/2015 12:32 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
A co-worker just showed me a quote to have Time Warner Cable run service
to his house. TWC told him that the nearest point for them to tie into
an existing junction is ~7000 feet away.

They said that they would be happy to run cable to his house. All he has
to do is pay them $44,000.

He's planning to stick with satellite for now.

It would only be good deal if they give him a free modem.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/04/2015 06:40 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Friday, December 4, 2015 at 2:45:07 PM UTC-5, Rojo Pene wrote:
On 12/04/2015 12:32 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
A co-worker just showed me a quote to have Time Warner Cable run service
to his house. TWC told him that the nearest point for them to tie into
an existing junction is ~7000 feet away.

They said that they would be happy to run cable to his house. All he has
to do is pay them $44,000.

He's planning to stick with satellite for now.

For TV service, there's not much difference between satellite and cable.

Other than weather related issues.

I suppose in some areas, cable may be worse.

30 years ago, the power company kept the trees trimmed away from the lines so that when a storm passed through there was seldom any power line
damage. The rare damage that did occur was repaired in under 18 hours. Cable TV was restored within 12 hours of that.

Today, after power company deregulation, they no longer keep trees trimmed like they used to so a strong thunderstorm will knock out power for
1-3 days while the power company repairs the downed wires. Unfortunately, the cable TV lines are often ripped out with the power lines and cable
companies are not allowed access to repair their lines until the power company repairs theirs.

The little money I might have saved on deregulated power I had to spend on a generator and keeping it running.

Can we go back to regulated power and regular tree trimming?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/4/2015 4:26 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
"Rojo Pene" wrote in message
eb.com...
I became tired of my TV shows being constantly interrupted by sports
games, weather "emergencies", political bull**** and of course those

****ing annoying TV commercials.

When I went to direct tv I got the recorder box and can hit a button on the
recordered shows that fast forwards it 30 seconds at a time.
I don't watch many shows in real time and knock off about 15 minuits of
every hour show.

I have Comcast and do it with their DVR. I can record 2 shows at the
same time. They have a newer DVR, I think, that records 10 at once.

Most folks probably don't realize that commercial TV can use 1/4 of the
time for commercials.

I urge my pro sport following friends do this. Pro football is the
biggest offender where the 2 minute warning can take a half hour.

People find it hard to believe that after church on Sunday, my father
would drive us to Philly to see a double header and we would be back by
dinner time.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/04/2015 08:02 PM, Rojo Pene wrote:

[...]

Our subdivision has underground utilities, but a few years ago the gas
company dug up the cable company's cables.

The electric company and the oil/gas pipeline company keep
trimming/cutting back the trees in their rights of way, but then the
nearby residents complain about destruction of the environment.

Perce

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, December 4, 2015 at 8:03:08 PM UTC-5, Rojo Pene wrote:
On 12/04/2015 06:40 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Friday, December 4, 2015 at 2:45:07 PM UTC-5, Rojo Pene wrote:
On 12/04/2015 12:32 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
A co-worker just showed me a quote to have Time Warner Cable run service
to his house. TWC told him that the nearest point for them to tie into
an existing junction is ~7000 feet away.

They said that they would be happy to run cable to his house. All he has
to do is pay them $44,000.

He's planning to stick with satellite for now.

For TV service, there's not much difference between satellite and cable.

Other than weather related issues.

I suppose in some areas, cable may be worse.

Maybe in some areas, but since I have both (cable at home and sat at work, about 8 miles away)
I can attest to the frequent weather related outages for the sat system and extremely rare
outages for cable.

30 years ago, the power company kept the trees trimmed away from the lines so that when a storm passed through there was seldom any power line
damage. The rare damage that did occur was repaired in under 18 hours. Cable TV was restored within 12 hours of that.

They still trim the trees in my area. I can tell by the huge pine at the end of my street. The
one with the tunnel through the middle where the wires run.

Today, after power company deregulation, they no longer keep trees trimmed like they used to so a strong thunderstorm will knock out power for
1-3 days while the power company repairs the downed wires. Unfortunately, the cable TV lines are often ripped out with the power lines and cable
companies are not allowed access to repair their lines until the power company repairs theirs.

The last time that happened to us was when an ice storm took out wires county wide. No amount
of tree trimming, save for trimming them at the base, would have prevented that.

I had a coworker that moved into a new track that was built on farmland - no trees. I live in
a wooded neighborhood. I spent the night wondering if a branch was going to crush my house
and spent the next day with a chain saw clearing branches off my cars before moving out onto
the street to try and clear it. My coworker woke up, thought it was just a power outage, got
dressed for work and left for work. It wasn't until he got to the main road outside his track that
he saw the first downed tree and realized that all the roads were blocked. He turned on the
radio in his car and was shocked to hear about what had happened over night.

The little money I might have saved on deregulated power I had to spend on a generator and keeping it running.

Can we go back to regulated power and regular tree trimming?

You could move here. ;-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, December 4, 2015 at 8:04:19 PM UTC-5, Frank wrote:
On 12/4/2015 4:26 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
"Rojo Pene" wrote in message
eb.com...
I became tired of my TV shows being constantly interrupted by sports
games, weather "emergencies", political bull**** and of course those
****ing annoying TV commercials.

When I went to direct tv I got the recorder box and can hit a button on the
recordered shows that fast forwards it 30 seconds at a time.
I don't watch many shows in real time and knock off about 15 minuits of
every hour show.

I have Comcast and do it with their DVR. I can record 2 shows at the
same time. They have a newer DVR, I think, that records 10 at once.

Most folks probably don't realize that commercial TV can use 1/4 of the
time for commercials.

Most folks living in a cave perhaps.

I urge my pro sport following friends do this. Pro football is the
biggest offender where the 2 minute warning can take a half hour.

The problem with DVRing sports is that friends (and analysts) are texting (and tweeting) during the live action. Unless you want to see a bunch of spoilers on your phone, you might as well
watch the games.

No, putting the phone down until after you watch the game is not an option. To a large extend,
text and Twitter have become part of the game time experience.

..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 4 Dec 2015 18:06:41 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

The last time that happened to us was when an ice storm took out wires county wide. No amount
of tree trimming, save for trimming them at the base, would have prevented that.

FPL gets medieval on trees around here and screw the huggers.
No "tunnels" here, If it is even close to the ROW they whack it.

Folks up north seem to think Comcast is OK but they really suck in SW
Florida and they don't seem to care. Monopolies tend to promote that
feeling.
We have overhead power and cable, the phone is all underground with
fiber at the end of my street. DSL is fast and never really fails.
FPL is very good about keeping the power on but Comcast is shaky on a
sunny day and after a big storm they are just gone for a couple weeks.
I know a guy in the neighborhood who worked for the cable company
Comcast bought out. He quit because they were unreasonable to work for
and did not want to hire good ($$) people so we get contractors and
$13 an hour incompetents. Calling "support" is a total waste of time.

I might give them another try if I heard one good story from a local
person.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/4/2015 12:32 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
A co-worker just showed me a quote to have Time Warner Cable run service
to his house. TWC told him that the nearest point for them to tie into
an existing junction is ~7000 feet away.

They said that they would be happy to run cable to his house. All he has
to do is pay them $44,000.

He's planning to stick with satellite for now.

Just think of the boost for his local
ecnomy, if he were to go ahead.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

The last time that happened to us was when an ice storm took out wires county wide. No amount
of tree trimming, save for trimming them at the base, would have prevented that.

FPL gets medieval on trees around here and screw the huggers.
No "tunnels" here, If it is even close to the ROW they whack it.

I live on short, heavilly treed street. 5 houses in my side, 3 on the other.

While many of us have trees on our lots, all of the trees that run along the edge of the road
are owned by the town. A few years ago, I was late getting ready for work and I saw a private
tree trimming crew show up with all sorts of tree trimming equipment. They were looking
at the town trees, so I stepped outside to see what was going on. The foreman said that
they were contracted by the local utility to trim the trees. As I was walking away I saw him
point to a couple of trees and say to one of his crew "That one might have to come down,
and that one too".

I practically ran into the house, grabbed my phone, called the town's Public Works
department and told them what I heard. They transferred me to the Town Arborist (who
knew!) and I repeated what I had heard. This guy must have gotten a police escort,
because we had barely hung up when I saw a town truck pull up at the end of my street.

When I got home from work, all of the trees were still there, neatly trimmed around the wires.
I like to think I prevented a major change to the tranquil look of my street.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Our subdivision has underground utilities, but a few years ago the gas
company dug up the cable company's cables.

Down the street from me is a group of houses with underground electric.
Teu lose power about twice as often as we do. The feed to their place
is above ground and vulnerable.

The electric company and the oil/gas pipeline company keep
trimming/cutting back the trees in their rights of way, but then the
nearby residents complain about destruction of the environment.

Perce

I now those people. First ones on the phone to complain when the power
goes out.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 4 Dec 2015 19:07:42 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

When I got home from work, all of the trees were still there, neatly trimmed around the wires.
I like to think I prevented a major change to the tranquil look of my street.

That is fine if you don't mind that "tranquil look" in the dark.

After living here I was amazed at how close they allowed trees to be
up there ... but the lights were out over much of Northern Virginia
from a little no name storm and gas stations were packed with people
filling their generator gas cans. The ones that had gas anyway.
You just have a decision to make. You can clean them out and have
reliable power or have tree lined roads and be Amish several times a
year.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ralph Mowery wrote:

I don't watch many shows in real time and knock off about 15 minuits of
every hour show.

Or more. Most one hour shows these days have no more than 42 minutes of
program content, including the preview and credits.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

When I got home from work, all of the trees were still there, neatly trimmed around the wires.
I like to think I prevented a major change to the tranquil look of my street.

That is fine if you don't mind that "tranquil look" in the dark.

After living here I was amazed at how close they allowed trees to be
up there ... but the lights were out over much of Northern Virginia
from a little no name storm and gas stations were packed with people
filling their generator gas cans. The ones that had gas anyway.
You just have a decision to make. You can clean them out and have
reliable power or have tree lined roads and be Amish several times a
year.

But we are not Amish several times a year. If that were true, I'd agree that I would
that I would have to choose between between trees and dark. The fact is, it just
doesn't happen. We used to have serveral outages a year but that was due to
aging equipment. After the utility finished their infrastructure upgrade, our power
been extremely reliable.

They appear to have found a balance between protecting the lines and maintaining
the tranquil feel. Obviously if they wanted to protect the lines from even the freak
ice storm or blizzard, they could cut the trees down completely, but I like the
compromise they seem to have found.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/04/2015 09:06 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
The last time that happened to us was when an ice storm took out wires county wide. No amount
of tree trimming, save for trimming them at the base, would have prevented that.

Most power lines are engineered to take a fair amount of ice but none can take a heavy iced branch falling on them.
If an iced tree branch can fall on a power line, the tree should not be allowed there in the first place.
And if they started billing the homeowner for their falling tree damage, suddenly the vocal tree-huggers would STFU.

Yah, I know, the self-centered tree-huggers feel entitled to their cozy little tree-lined streets but the tree-huggers are never willing to
reimburse me for a lost freezer full of food or pay for a generator to keep my house warm.

A funny story:

A neighbor had a visitor at his house when a storm blew in. A tree branch fell on his visitor's uninsured car and caused $2k in damage.
Neighbor told his visitor to sue the city since it was the "city's" tree in the ROW. Since the neighbor had accused the city of negligence for
not properly maintaining the tree, the city sent a crew out and removed the tree from the ROW. Suddenly the neighbor is ****ed at the city for
removing "his" tree.

I'm not sure who's tree it really is. Maybe it depends on whether it's an asset or a liability? People can be assholes.