Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Computer monitor problem

On 3 Dec 2015 18:00:42 GMT, KenK wrote:

I experimented and found the monitor's external AC to DC P/S power light
flickered sometimes when turned on, then monitor didn't work. If it
glowed steadily the monitor worked. Probably bad P/S?

Googled a few minutes and found P/Ss with shipping about $12 - $15.
Trying to decide if I should gamble that the monitor didn't cause the P/S
to fail.

Yes, it's a gamble.....

sigh

Haven't tried shopping for replacement monitor yet. Never tried it and am
a bit leery of Ebay. Sometimes prices seem too good.

I have not been satisfied with all Ebay purchases, but most have been
good. You need to look at the seller's feedback. The good thing is that
Ebay WILL give you a refund if the seller does not stand behind their
item, and Ebay has done this for me a few times, without too much fuss!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 03 Dec 2015 13:02:22 -0500, wrote:

On Wed, 02 Dec 2015 20:22:19 -0700, Don Y
wrote:

On 12/2/2015 7:22 PM,
wrote:
On Wed, 02 Dec 2015 13:11:20 -0700, Don Y
wrote:

On 12/2/2015 12:51 PM,
wrote:

0 yrs old? WTF...you don't say it's flat panel or tube? You can get a
tube-type for free or a flat panel used for 10-$20 depending on size.

He told us the model number.

Its probably a bad electrolytic cap in the power supply.

Or in the inverter.

Or, shorted FETs in the inverter.

For really old units, sometimes the fluorescent tubes go bad (though they
usually turn pink-ish before giving up the ghost).

Easy repair for an electronics tech.

Most of these repairs are limited by how long it takes to disassemble
the thing -- without breaking lots of little hidden plastic latches.
And, finding a place to set it (in pieces) while you troubleshoot.
And, *store* it while you wait for the particular parts that you
may have to order/pick up (unless you do this regularly or for a
living).
Better than 90% of failures in the '80s to early 2000's were due to
counterfeit electrolyte in the capacitore. Look for caps with "domed
heads" - they should be concave, not convex. Sometimes the convex tops
will also have a crusty scum on the top (dried leaked selectrolyte)

A monitor can limp along with a failing cap -- long enough to
stress the FET's in the inverter until *they* fail (shorted).
That, in turn, takes out the fuses to the inverter (*if* it
has any) or drags the power supply down so the controller
can't operate reliably.

HP had some monitors that would catch *fire*! Talk about "design flaw"!

You'd have a hard time giving me most HP products, other than their
business grade computers.

Make that their business grade PRINTERS. No use for any of their
computers, or their consumer grade crap.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3 Dec 2015 18:11:04 GMT, KenK wrote:

bob_villain wrote in
:

On Wednesday, December 2, 2015 at 10:31:25 AM UTC-6, KenK wrote:
0-year-old Microtec 815C monitor having A/C problems. Yesterday took
plug fiddling and source power (UPS) to get the power indicator light
to come on. This morning I gave up. Had same problem and replaced it
temorarily with a monitor from another system. Played with defective
monitor with A/C power strip switch. First worked sometimes but now
not at all. Changed A/C cord. Checked connection to monitor. No fuse
I can see.

Seems kaput. Any suggestions before I junk it? Otherwise it works
fine.

If I need to replace it what do you think? Buy another monitor? Buy
another Desktop and monitor (my XP ststem is about 10 years old -
hate to buy it another monitor)? Buy a laptop? Can't really afford
any of these options but still - got to get on Usenet!

TIA

0 yrs old? WTF...you don't say it's flat panel or tube? You can get a
tube-type for free or a flat panel used for 10-$20 depending on size.

10 yeard old. Flat panel.

Fault seems to be the external AC to DC power supply. Flickers when
monitor doesn't work, glows steadily when it does. Now to decide if
monitor killed the supply (junk monitor), or it commited suicide (replace
P/S).

12 volt power output? It's junk anyway - cut the wire off the PS and
connect it to a 12 volt battery and see if the monitor works. Be
careful of the polarity. If it works, buy a new brick.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, December 3, 2015 at 3:21:41 PM UTC-6, wrote:

I never tried to run XP on the 15 year old desktop computer. It came
with Win 2000. I have both Win 2000 and Win98 on it. (dual boot). It's
main use is for file storage and graphic editing. It does everything I
need it for, in fact I prefer it over XP for what I do with it. Not to
mention that Win 2000 and Win 98 do not need to be reinstalled every few
years like XP does. The laptop has XP on it, and it seems like XP just
slows down after a year or so, and that's even after I remove all the
cache, and other temp or junk files regularly. Finally it gets so bad
that a reinstall is required. This is a pain in the ass, because then I
have to reinstall all the programs and tweak all the settings.

By the way, I'm not connected to the company or advertising, but I have
had very good luck with all the IBM/Lenovo computers that I have. They
just keep working year after year.... I cant say this for Dell..... I've
seen much newer Dell machines just self destruct.

I liked W2K, to me it made XP unnecessary. I haven't had much experience with Lenovo to judge...but my new and used Dells have been excellent. I can't say the say for the HP's I've run into!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 03 Dec 2015 15:18:51 -0600, wrote:

On Thu, 3 Dec 2015 07:26:27 -0800 (PST), bob_villain
wrote:

On Wednesday, December 2, 2015 at 10:24:06 PM UTC-6, wrote:

I use it almost every day.
It's a Lenovo!

It could be an IBM...but not a Lenovo! 15 yrs is just too old to even run XP!

Geezzzzzz, I cant win either way.....
If I say it's an IBM, people always correct me and say it's a Lenovo.
Now I'm getting the reverse.....
Yes, it IS an IBM. It's a 2000 model.

I also have a newer laptop computer that says IBM (Thinkpad) on the lid,
but the built in (software) Operating Manual says Lenovo. Thats from the
mid 2000's.

I never tried to run XP on the 15 year old desktop computer. It came
with Win 2000. I have both Win 2000 and Win98 on it. (dual boot). It's
main use is for file storage and graphic editing. It does everything I
need it for, in fact I prefer it over XP for what I do with it. Not to
mention that Win 2000 and Win 98 do not need to be reinstalled every few
years like XP does.

I virtually never have to reinstall XP.Not WIndows & either. Not with
service pack 2 installed (on xp - SP 1 on 7), anyway.

The laptop has XP on it, and it seems like XP just
slows down after a year or so, and that's even after I remove all the
cache, and other temp or junk files regularly. Finally it gets so bad
that a reinstall is required. This is a pain in the ass, because then I
have to reinstall all the programs and tweak all the settings.

I runClean My PC registry cleaner from registry-cleaner.net.
I have the paid version, but even the free version does wonders for a
slow XP machine.

There are other "registry-cleaners" out there that STINK. This one
works. IOBit's Advanced SystemCare does a good job too.

On the other hand, Win 2000 and Win 98 dont need to be reinstalled. If I
were to have a problem, I can just copy the entire operating system from
my backup drive to the user drive and not lose any settings or installed
programs.

By the way, I'm not connected to the company or advertising, but I have
had very good luck with all the IBM/Lenovo computers that I have. They
just keep working year after year.... I cant say this for Dell..... I've
seen much newer Dell machines just self destruct.

IBM / Lenovo is about as good as you can get. Unlike the Dell from
Hell. I have good luck with the higher end Acers too.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, December 3, 2015 at 4:09:54 PM UTC-6, wrote:

I runClean My PC registry cleaner from registry-cleaner.net.
I have the paid version, but even the free version does wonders for a
slow XP machine.

There are other "registry-cleaners" out there that STINK. This one
works. IOBit's Advanced SystemCare does a good job too.

Stick with automotive repair...it seems you know that...most all PC experts/professions say reg cleaners are "snake oil"!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 3 Dec 2015 14:19:06 -0800 (PST), bob_villain
wrote:

On Thursday, December 3, 2015 at 4:09:54 PM UTC-6, wrote:

I runClean My PC registry cleaner from registry-cleaner.net.
I have the paid version, but even the free version does wonders for a
slow XP machine.

There are other "registry-cleaners" out there that STINK. This one
works. IOBit's Advanced SystemCare does a good job too.

Stick with automotive repair...it seems you know that...most all PC experts/professions say reg cleaners are "snake oil"!

I've been in the computer business full time now for 26 years. Some
are snake oil - others work. These two work. I do not need to reload
windows to solve slow running computers. That says something.

My last computer, running XP, went over 5 years without a re-install.
The only re-install prior to that 5 years was due to a failed hard
drive.

You are free to disagree and continue reloading windows. No skin off
my back.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, December 3, 2015 at 6:08:39 AM UTC-6, CRNG wrote:
On 2 Dec 2015 16:31:20 GMT, KenK wrote in

If I need to replace it what do you think? Buy another monitor? Buy another
Desktop and monitor (my XP ststem is about 10 years old - hate to buy it
another monitor)? Buy a laptop? Can't really afford any of these options
but still - got to get on Usenet!

If you buy another monitor you can still use it if in the future you
buy a new desktop system. Just order the new desktop without buying a
monitor with it. Remember, when you buy a new computer, it will
probably come with Win10. Do you want that?
--

Of course, you can always hook two monitors to your computer. I had a 23" and a 32" hooked to my big desktop. ヽ(ヅ)ノ

[8~{} Uncle Monitor Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 03 Dec 2015 16:09:02 -0700, Don Y
wrote:

On 12/3/2015 3:03 PM, wrote:
On Thu, 03 Dec 2015 11:24:46 -0700, Don Y
wrote:

On 12/3/2015 11:02 AM,
wrote:
You'd have a hard time giving me most HP products, other than their
business grade computers.

When HP "was HP" (pre Agilent -- and whatever the latest split
entails!), they made excellent products! Old laser printers
just "kept on keepin' on". Ditto test equipment, etc.

But, HP, nowadays, is a step above "generic"...

If you are standing on your head - - -

Some of their enterprise class machines are respectable.

I dumped the last of my pen plotters in favor of a large format
printer-plotter... keeping the pens from drying out (with the
infrequent use that I have) was more trouble than it was worth!

[Though watching it plot was almost "therapeutic"!]

But, the consumer stuff is largely disposable. And, printers are
just "ink selling tools".

[Anyone with a color inkjet should seriously consider finding a
local service bureau for your color printing -- Kinkos, OfficeMax,
etc. -- and just using/buying a good monochrome printer for
the stuff you are likely to print!]

I maintain 27 inkjet printers in one office, along with 2 volour
lazers and a black and white Oi laser multifunction. 26 of the inkjets
are HP Officejet Pro 8000s. I refill all the cartridges. They are
generally good for 2 years. About $4 per ounce for ink. The latest
inkjet is a Epson or Canon (cannot remember off-hand) with factory
CISS (just pour bulk ink into the tanks)
We go through about 1 - 2 liters of ink a month (insurance office)

The two colour lasers are Toshiba copier/print centers with colaters
and stapler. They also do a fair bit of scanning - but we also have a
slew of Fujitsu highspeed duplex sheet feed scanners and 2 high speed
Panasonic duplex sheet feeders. One of the panasonics is over 1000000
scans already - about half the fujitsus as well.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, December 3, 2015 at 12:05:23 PM UTC-6, KenK wrote:

I have two CRT monitors from older desktops that didn't work om my newer
ones - only about 10 years old g. IIRC they displayed two images side
by side. Couldn't adjust them or computer video to make them wok. Maybe I
should try one again and experiment some more.
--

The monitors that didn't "wok" must not be from China. ლ(o—¡oლ)

[8~{} Uncle Wok Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, December 3, 2015 at 8:43:28 PM UTC-6, wrote:

I maintain 27 inkjet printers in one office, along with 2 volour
lazers and a black and white Oi laser multifunction. 26 of the inkjets
are HP Officejet Pro 8000s. I refill all the cartridges. They are
generally good for 2 years. About $4 per ounce for ink. The latest
inkjet is a Epson or Canon (cannot remember off-hand) with factory
CISS (just pour bulk ink into the tanks)
We go through about 1 - 2 liters of ink a month (insurance office)

The two colour lasers are Toshiba copier/print centers with colaters
and stapler. They also do a fair bit of scanning - but we also have a
slew of Fujitsu highspeed duplex sheet feed scanners and 2 high speed
Panasonic duplex sheet feeders. One of the panasonics is over 1000000
scans already - about half the fujitsus as well.

Holy crap! What the heck happened to the paperless office that computers were supposed to give us in the 21st century? (-_-)ã‚žã‚›

[8~{} Uncle Paper Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 3 Dec 2015 18:38:39 -0800 (PST), Uncle Monster
wrote:

On Thursday, December 3, 2015 at 6:08:39 AM UTC-6, CRNG wrote:
On 2 Dec 2015 16:31:20 GMT, KenK wrote in

If I need to replace it what do you think? Buy another monitor? Buy another
Desktop and monitor (my XP ststem is about 10 years old - hate to buy it
another monitor)? Buy a laptop? Can't really afford any of these options
but still - got to get on Usenet!

If you buy another monitor you can still use it if in the future you
buy a new desktop system. Just order the new desktop without buying a
monitor with it. Remember, when you buy a new computer, it will
probably come with Win10. Do you want that?
--

Of course, you can always hook two monitors to your computer. I had a 23" and a 32" hooked to my big desktop. ?(?)?

[8~{} Uncle Monitor Monster

I just bought 10 brand new computers with 7 pro on them, with option
to run 8.1 Pro (either of which can be upgraded to 10)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 3 Dec 2015 19:03:42 -0800 (PST), Uncle Monster
wrote:

[...]

The only thing that kills more trees than an insurance office is a
law office.

The millions of sheets scanned were to digitise records. so we don't
have to store truckloads of paper.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/3/2015 7:43 PM, wrote:

[Anyone with a color inkjet should seriously consider finding a
local service bureau for your color printing -- Kinkos, OfficeMax,
etc. -- and just using/buying a good monochrome printer for
the stuff you are likely to print!]

I maintain 27 inkjet printers in one office, along with 2 volour

Yikes! Who needs that sort of color? And, why from ink jets?
Laser is so much cheaper/faster...

lazers and a black and white Oi laser multifunction. 26 of the inkjets
are HP Officejet Pro 8000s. I refill all the cartridges. They are

Ah, so you're not paying the "liquid cocaine" prices that folks who
have inkjets at home are paying -- while they look for an EXCUSE
to print some color in their newsletter, correspondence, etc.

[SWMBO uses a monochrome LJ to print photos. She's typically not
concerned with the colors -- she can make them up to suit her
fancy (yellow sky, anyone?). But, what the mono printers provide
is information about the *values* in the composition -- darks, lights,
etc. (regardless of actual "color")]

generally good for 2 years. About $4 per ounce for ink. The latest
inkjet is a Epson or Canon (cannot remember off-hand) with factory
CISS (just pour bulk ink into the tanks)
We go through about 1 - 2 liters of ink a month (insurance office)

Ah, so you're concerned with generating paperwork! (still don't see
why color... "OVERDUE!! PAY NOW or Uncle Guido comes and breaks
your legs!" ?)

The two colour lasers are Toshiba copier/print centers with colaters
and stapler. They also do a fair bit of scanning - but we also have a
slew of Fujitsu highspeed duplex sheet feed scanners and 2 high speed
Panasonic duplex sheet feeders. One of the panasonics is over 1000000
scans already - about half the fujitsus as well.

I'd welcome a high speed scanner. Ideally, one that "photographs"
the pages instead of a "scan down the page". Currently, when I
want to scan bound materials, I have to sacrifice the original
document (no problem) -- cut the binding off and put the pages
in the sheet feeder... then, wait forever for each page to be
scanned.

[OTOH, I don't have to babysit the process...]

Biggest time sink is proofing the resulting document: are all
of the pages present? Any get scanned crooked?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Don Y wrote:
On 12/3/2015 7:43 PM, wrote:

[Anyone with a color inkjet should seriously consider finding a
local service bureau for your color printing -- Kinkos, OfficeMax,
etc. -- and just using/buying a good monochrome printer for
the stuff you are likely to print!]

I maintain 27 inkjet printers in one office, along with 2 volour

Yikes! Who needs that sort of color? And, why from ink jets?
Laser is so much cheaper/faster

I have pro quality inkjet for printing photo only.
All other jobs are on multi function color laser.

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 03 Dec 2015 21:50:15 -0700, Don Y
wrote:

On 12/3/2015 7:43 PM, wrote:

[Anyone with a color inkjet should seriously consider finding a
local service bureau for your color printing -- Kinkos, OfficeMax,
etc. -- and just using/buying a good monochrome printer for
the stuff you are likely to print!]

I maintain 27 inkjet printers in one office, along with 2 volour

Yikes! Who needs that sort of color? And, why from ink jets?
Laser is so much cheaper/faster...

Colour just for logos and highlighting etc

lazers and a black and white Oi laser multifunction. 26 of the inkjets
are HP Officejet Pro 8000s. I refill all the cartridges. They are

Ah, so you're not paying the "liquid cocaine" prices that folks who
have inkjets at home are paying -- while they look for an EXCUSE
to print some color in their newsletter, correspondence, etc.

I've got a Canon Maxify for my home printer - no refils on it - but I
don't print a lot. I've also got an old B&W laser that I hardly use.
Used to run Oki 400 . Can;t justify having laser and inkjet

[SWMBO uses a monochrome LJ to print photos. She's typically not
concerned with the colors -- she can make them up to suit her
fancy (yellow sky, anyone?). But, what the mono printers provide
is information about the *values* in the composition -- darks, lights,
etc. (regardless of actual "color")]

generally good for 2 years. About $4 per ounce for ink. The latest
inkjet is a Epson or Canon (cannot remember off-hand) with factory
CISS (just pour bulk ink into the tanks)
We go through about 1 - 2 liters of ink a month (insurance office)

Ah, so you're concerned with generating paperwork! (still don't see
why color... "OVERDUE!! PAY NOW or Uncle Guido comes and breaks
your legs!" ?)

Laser for liability slips doesn't work too well, and right now inkjet
is running less per sheet than the laser.
We use the laser for high volume presentation quality stuff and the
B&W laser MF prints all the ecommerce orders (we run several really
LARGE programs that are all done online. We had an injet doing the
overnights, but it "calved" a month or so back and we had the laser
sitting un-used. The inkjet was actually faster, and printheads last
longer than laser drums ($230 drum in 4 months compared to 2 $85
printheads in a year)

The two colour lasers are Toshiba copier/print centers with colaters
and stapler. They also do a fair bit of scanning - but we also have a
slew of Fujitsu highspeed duplex sheet feed scanners and 2 high speed
Panasonic duplex sheet feeders. One of the panasonics is over 1000000
scans already - about half the fujitsus as well.

I'd welcome a high speed scanner. Ideally, one that "photographs"
the pages instead of a "scan down the page". Currently, when I
want to scan bound materials, I have to sacrifice the original
document (no problem) -- cut the binding off and put the pages
in the sheet feeder... then, wait forever for each page to be
scanned.

20 pages per minute, duplex, at 300dpi on the Fujitsus - scanned to
PDF. Skips the blank pages automatically and the feeders work great.
Some of these scanners are pushing 10 years old. We are having to
phase them out because there are no 64 bit drivers - hense the new
Panasonics. The Fujitsus were over $2000 each new - we bought them
all used .

[OTOH, I don't have to babysit the process...]

Biggest time sink is proofing the resulting document: are all
of the pages present? Any get scanned crooked?

Haven't had many issues with either double feeds or missed pages -
and a few degrees of skew isn't an issue - and is not a common
problem.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Cool, are all of them on your desk? What brand are the machines? Are they all for one customer? I should hope you have them sold because I've bought that many before but I already had them sold and was paid up front. I never had that much money on hand to make a speculative purchase of that many computer systems.

My pal brought my 32" LED TV/monitor to me from my home and I have it setup on a dresser across the room from the foot of my hospital bed. He also brought a 15 foot HDMI cable to me and I run it from the TV to my Chromebook on the rolling table over the bed. What's cool about the setup is that I can stream video off the Internet and instead of having the sound sent to the TV via the HDMI connection, I can listen to the audio with my earphones plugged into my Chromebook. I'm going to have to get a 15 foot earphone cable to run alongside the HDMI cable so I can listen to cable programming from the TV without disturbing my roommate. I do need the headphones because sometimes, this place gets noisier than a grammar school playground. I miss my toys from home but I'll see how many of them I can get over here. ヽ(ヅ)ノ

[8~{} Uncle Toy Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I thought there was a legal requirement to have hard copies of many documents? Of course, I'm no lawyer but I have them in the family. (ヅ)

[8~{} Uncle Document Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

2 customers, Acer Veriton. All sold before they were ordered. I do not
stock ANYTHING any more. I have sold the one customer 40 of them now,
and the other about 28 or 30.

My pal brought my 32" LED TV/monitor to me from my home and I have it setup on a dresser across the room from the foot of my hospital bed. He also brought a 15 foot HDMI cable to me and I run it from the TV to my Chromebook on the rolling table over the bed. What's cool about the setup is that I can stream video off the Internet and instead of having the sound sent to the TV via the HDMI connection, I can listen to the audio with my earphones plugged into my Chromebook. I'm going to have to get a 15 foot earphone cable to run alongside the HDMI cable so I can listen to cable programming from the TV without disturbing my roommate. I do need the headphones because sometimes, this place gets noisier than a grammar school playground. I miss my toys from home but I'll see how many of them I can get over here. ?(?)?

[8~{} Uncle Toy Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

No hard copies required older than a certain point if at all - just
need to be able to produce on demand. Everything is stored as PDF.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/3/2015 10:18 PM, wrote:
On Thu, 03 Dec 2015 21:50:15 -0700, Don Y
wrote:

On 12/3/2015 7:43 PM,
wrote:

[Anyone with a color inkjet should seriously consider finding a
local service bureau for your color printing -- Kinkos, OfficeMax,
etc. -- and just using/buying a good monochrome printer for
the stuff you are likely to print!]
I maintain 27 inkjet printers in one office, along with 2 volour

Yikes! Who needs that sort of color? And, why from ink jets?
Laser is so much cheaper/faster...

Colour just for logos and highlighting etc

Ah, OK. As a business, it makes sense. For most home users, I
think they have to fabricate uses for color (esp if you consider
how essential it may or may NOT be!).

[E.g., our HOA sends around a newsletter at random, unpredictable
intervals -- barely more than a double sided SHEET of paper (of
which, half a side is a dues request form!). The top third of the
first side is invariably a color graphic that would only have
appeal to someone who had been color-blind from birth... and
only recently had full vision restored! I.e., a waste of
EXPEN$IVE ink -- for which they need to shame folks into joining
and paying dues! :-/ ]

lazers and a black and white Oi laser multifunction. 26 of the inkjets
are HP Officejet Pro 8000s. I refill all the cartridges. They are

Ah, so you're not paying the "liquid cocaine" prices that folks who
have inkjets at home are paying -- while they look for an EXCUSE
to print some color in their newsletter, correspondence, etc.

I've got a Canon Maxify for my home printer - no refils on it - but I
don't print a lot. I've also got an old B&W laser that I hardly use.
Used to run Oki 400 . Can;t justify having laser and inkjet

We have a pair of "low temperature" LJ's (a 5p and 6p) that we use for
most of our (low volume) printing needs. A cartridge lasts "practically
forever" when printing 4 or 5 pages a week (copies of driving directions
sent in an email, coupons for a local store, hard-copy of a webpage
for a reference, etc.). As they draw so little power when idling (5W, IIRC),
we can afford to just leave them on 24/7 (so no waiting when printing).

[The other printers we have draw much more power and have more
noticeable startup times; so, you'd never think of leaving them
on -- even if the printjob is spooled to another host!]

generally good for 2 years. About $4 per ounce for ink. The latest
inkjet is a Epson or Canon (cannot remember off-hand) with factory
CISS (just pour bulk ink into the tanks)
We go through about 1 - 2 liters of ink a month (insurance office)

Ah, so you're concerned with generating paperwork! (still don't see
why color... "OVERDUE!! PAY NOW or Uncle Guido comes and breaks
your legs!" ?)

Laser for liability slips doesn't work too well, and right now inkjet
is running less per sheet than the laser.

I don't understand the reference: why is a laser NOT good for a
"liability slip" while an inkjet (presumably) is?

We use the laser for high volume presentation quality stuff and the
B&W laser MF prints all the ecommerce orders (we run several really
LARGE programs that are all done online. We had an injet doing the
overnights, but it "calved" a month or so back and we had the laser
sitting un-used. The inkjet was actually faster, and printheads last
longer than laser drums ($230 drum in 4 months compared to 2 $85
printheads in a year)

My lasers have the drum in the cartridge so it need only last as long
as the toner -- I don't print enough to justify the mess of refilling
(nor the risk of inhaling that crud: "Hmm, Doctor, this man's lungs are
bright CYAN!")

The color laser has an imaging unit that will eventually wear out.
But, I've got a spare -- along with a couple of sets of toner
cartridges for it. Chances are, it will outlive *me*! :-/

I'd welcome a high speed scanner. Ideally, one that "photographs"
the pages instead of a "scan down the page". Currently, when I
want to scan bound materials, I have to sacrifice the original
document (no problem) -- cut the binding off and put the pages
in the sheet feeder... then, wait forever for each page to be
scanned.

20 pages per minute, duplex, at 300dpi on the Fujitsus - scanned to

I scan at 600dpi greyscale (or color if the source material warrants.
The goal is to faithfully reproduce the document AND maintain enough
detail in the images that an offline OCR can extract content -- keeping
the raw images for "human arbitration" in the event something doesn't
scan well. E.g., a document that I'm working with currently has
hand drawn symbols in the text. It predates modern, affordable
DTP tools so things like ligatures (e.g., "æ", "ʣ", "ʧ") didn't exist
in the native typeface and had to be penciled in after-the-fact.
Leaving this "decision" to an online OCR tool (and discarding the
original images) easily results in a loss of information -- esp
as you (I) may not get around to visually proofing EVERY document
as it comes out of the scanner!

PDF. Skips the blank pages automatically and the feeders work great.
Some of these scanners are pushing 10 years old. We are having to
phase them out because there are no 64 bit drivers - hense the new
Panasonics. The Fujitsus were over $2000 each new - we bought them
all used .

Cool!

[OTOH, I don't have to babysit the process...]

Biggest time sink is proofing the resulting document: are all
of the pages present? Any get scanned crooked?

Haven't had many issues with either double feeds or missed pages -
and a few degrees of skew isn't an issue - and is not a common
problem.

A small skew isn't a problem. The OCR software can sort it out.
I'm more concerned when a page partially jams and you get a large
skew. The OCR software is no longer an issue at that point.
Instead, you are concerned with any portion of the original
image that may be not visible in the resulting scan (which will
have been cropped to the "page size" by the scanner -- even if
it could theoretically "see" that there was image beyond its
extents!).

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 04 Dec 2015 14:41:14 -0700, Don Y
wrote:

On 12/3/2015 10:18 PM, wrote:
On Thu, 03 Dec 2015 21:50:15 -0700, Don Y
wrote:

On 12/3/2015 7:43 PM,
wrote:

[...]

Non standard sheet sizes, and toner, being thermal, melts and sticks
to the folder you keep the certificate in in the car making an
unreadable mess. Water resistant ink is MUCH better
We use the laser for high volume presentation quality stuff and the
B&W laser MF prints all the ecommerce orders (we run several really
LARGE programs that are all done online. We had an injet doing the
overnights, but it "calved" a month or so back and we had the laser
sitting un-used. The inkjet was actually faster, and printheads last
longer than laser drums ($230 drum in 4 months compared to 2 $85
printheads in a year)

My lasers have the drum in the cartridge so it need only last as long
as the toner -- I don't print enough to justify the mess of refilling
(nor the risk of inhaling that crud: "Hmm, Doctor, this man's lungs are
bright CYAN!")

The Oki system has separate toner cartridge and drum assy. Usually 10
to 20 toner refils to one drum replacement. Toners @ $28 list - drim
at $235-ish. instead of $150 per combined cartridge (for third party -
often more for OEM)

[...]

DTP tools so things like ligatures (e.g., "æ", "?", "?") didn't exist
in the native typeface and had to be penciled in after-the-fact.
Leaving this "decision" to an online OCR tool (and discarding the
original images) easily results in a loss of information -- esp
as you (I) may not get around to visually proofing EVERY document
as it comes out of the scanner!

That's why insurance documents are saved in PDF format - and 300DPI is
more than adequate resolution

[...]

If a paper jams the scanner shuts dowm - and like I said, we do not
OCR

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/4/2015 5:52 PM, wrote:

generally good for 2 years. About $4 per ounce for ink. The latest
inkjet is a Epson or Canon (cannot remember off-hand) with factory
CISS (just pour bulk ink into the tanks)
We go through about 1 - 2 liters of ink a month (insurance office)

Ah, so you're concerned with generating paperwork! (still don't see
why color... "OVERDUE!! PAY NOW or Uncle Guido comes and breaks
your legs!" ?)
Laser for liability slips doesn't work too well, and right now inkjet
is running less per sheet than the laser.

I don't understand the reference: why is a laser NOT good for a
"liability slip" while an inkjet (presumably) is?

Non standard sheet sizes, and toner, being thermal, melts and sticks
to the folder you keep the certificate in in the car making an
unreadable mess. Water resistant ink is MUCH better

OK. "Liability slip" == "Proof of insurance (document)" I was thinking
slip in the context of "slip and fall"

[...]

Misunderstanding. You're using PDF as a container for TIFF (or
some other raw image format). I use PDF to store *text* plus
*illustrations* -- i.e., AFTER the OCR phase.

Haven't had many issues with either double feeds or missed pages -
and a few degrees of skew isn't an issue - and is not a common
problem.

A small skew isn't a problem. The OCR software can sort it out.
I'm more concerned when a page partially jams and you get a large
skew. The OCR software is no longer an issue at that point.
Instead, you are concerned with any portion of the original
image that may be not visible in the resulting scan (which will
have been cropped to the "page size" by the scanner -- even if
it could theoretically "see" that there was image beyond its
extents!).

If a paper jams the scanner shuts dowm - and like I said, we do not
OCR

I'm not worried about a jam but a case where a sheet feeds
"crooked". E.g., scanner handles ~9" wide paper. But, can easily
feed 5" wide pages (like small-format manuals, data books, etc.)
as well. A 5" wide sheet going through at a 45 degree angle
is still not going to exceed the width of the scanning bed -- so,
nothing to get stuck on/jammed.

But, when the scanner software crops that skewed image to
a 5" width, much of it will be "off the edge". I won't notice
it unless I examine every page after scanning!

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I've started putting my medical records in PDF format on a thumb drive to take to the doctor's office. I get asked for all this information so I just put it on a cheap 4Gb thumb drive and hand it to the doctor or nurse when they ask me for something. I'm thinking I can put it on a 10 inch Android tablet so I can pull up specific items then show it to them when asked and keep it all on the thumb drive too. I was scanning my prescriptions, Emailing them to my pharmacy then giving them the hard copy when the meds were picked up. If I get a tablet that has Bluetooth, I could send it to their tablet or phone during a visit. I suppose the only thing to worry about is HIPPA regulations. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

[8~{} Uncle PDF Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 04 Dec 2015 18:37:22 -0700, Don Y
wrote:

On 12/4/2015 5:52 PM, wrote:

[...]

You are making searchable PDF. PDF just means "portable Document File"

In our case it only needs to be readable by a human.

[...]

5 inch paper goes through just great if you set the infeed hopper for
5 inch paper.

But, when the scanner software crops that skewed image to
a 5" width, much of it will be "off the edge". I won't notice
it unless I examine every page after scanning!

With adjustable infeed bin, very little gets skewed.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/4/2015 7:38 PM, wrote:

[...]

Yes. In my case, I may have a few score of *feet* (thick) of paper
and I want to find a reference to some particular topic. I don't
want to thumb through thousands of pages in teh HOPE that I can
remember which document contains the reference. Or, miss some
*other* document that also talks about it simply because I wasn't
aware the other reference existed!

So, I want to have a text version (at least of those parts that truly
ARE text) that a machine can freely access on my behalf.

Imagine you bound all of your "liability slips" into giant tomes...
maybe one per year. Now, have to find Bob Smith's paperwork in
that tome...

[...]

If you have a hopper that can be *set*! :

I'd likewise not have a problem WAITING if I had a scanner that was
FASTER! :

But, when the scanner software crops that skewed image to
a 5" width, much of it will be "off the edge". I won't notice
it unless I examine every page after scanning!

With adjustable infeed bin, very little gets skewed.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 04 Dec 2015 20:23:01 -0700, Don Y
wrote:

On 12/3/2015 10:17 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:
Don Y wrote:
On 12/3/2015 7:43 PM, wrote:

[Anyone with a color inkjet should seriously consider finding a
local service bureau for your color printing -- Kinkos, OfficeMax,
etc. -- and just using/buying a good monochrome printer for
the stuff you are likely to print!]
I maintain 27 inkjet printers in one office, along with 2 volour

Yikes! Who needs that sort of color? And, why from ink jets?
Laser is so much cheaper/faster

I have pro quality inkjet for printing photo only.
All other jobs are on multi function color laser.

I have a little "PictureStation" that makes gorgeous postcard-sized
photos. I suspect the media is very expensive (dunno, I always
seem to find new boxes being discarded). f SWMBO needs a color photo
of some picture she took, I'll use that. Slow as it makes 5 passes
over the picture (CMYK+sealant) but you'd be hard-pressed to tell it
didn't come from "Kodak".

I use color laser for higher volume jobs -- newsletters, etc.
And, a solid-ink Phaser for production quality output.

Talk about an expensive way to print!!!
We had a Phazer at the office for a while. Kept having memory problems
at a rate of about $300 a stick, added to the insane price of the
"wax"

The "boss" got great satisfaction from throwing it out the back door
to paved driveway.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 04 Dec 2015 21:43:07 -0700, Don Y
wrote:

The "boss" got great satisfaction from throwing it out the back door
to paved driveway.

Was a time I had three of them. I'd use them until I ran out of
ink, then recycle them.

We were using third party wax for the last 2 years - actually at one
point we had 2 of them in the building - - the first one was discardes
with a full load of wax -(imossible to remove and salvage for use in
the other one) when the RAM went bad AGAIN.

The last one got discarded when the boss had had enough of it's
misbehaving (I think it was another RAM failure - He didn't bother
having me check it out before HE chucked it out. I picked up the
pieces to take to the recycler.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

The "boss" got great satisfaction from throwing it out the back door
to paved driveway.

Was a time I had three of them. I'd use them until I ran out of
ink, then recycle them.

We were using third party wax for the last 2 years - actually at one
point we had 2 of them in the building - - the first one was discardes
with a full load of wax -(imossible to remove and salvage for use in
the other one) when the RAM went bad AGAIN.

The last one got discarded when the boss had had enough of it's
misbehaving (I think it was another RAM failure - He didn't bother
having me check it out before HE chucked it out. I picked up the
pieces to take to the recycler.

I recently had to *purchase* a toner cart for one of the low temp
LJ's. It was *REALLY* hard to do (psychologically) -- having never
had to BUY ink/toner in the past! :-/

I generate a lot of "virtual paper" -- but try hard not to make that
*real* paper! I.e., most of my proofing and editing is done on the screen.
I tend to only resort to making print copies when I'm making proofs (and
"pre-proofs").

Or, if I am systematically checking large tables or other masses of
data that are easier to be able to "check off" (with a pen) when they've
verified.

E.g., there are *hundreds* of "rules" for each of my speech synthesizers
(i.e., a particular combination of letters is pronounced in a particular
manner when encountered in a particular context). You go cross-eyed
trying to keep track of which rule you are examining when you are
viewing it on a screen (the symbols used to represent the sounds aren't
traditional "letters" that you could easily make a mental note of while
parsing the table).

OTOH, print it out and you can use your fingertips to track which line
you're on -- and a marker/pen/highlighter to note which ones you've
already checked. Kinda hard to do on the screen!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Hopefully Resolved: Computer Flicker & Application Crash Problem

I was getting some flicker and spontaneous exit (from MS-Word) problems when using MS-Word. Nothing rendering my computer inoperable but a definite annoyance. MS-Word is the application I have been using most lately. Many here suggested replacing the power supply. I googled on the net for the expected life of power supplies, and my impression is that most people say ten years is way too long to go without replacement (either pre-emptive or due to a power supply failure). Yesterday I replaced my computer's 10-year-old 350 watt power supply with the least expensive one I could find in stock at Best Buy. This turned out to be a 400 watt unit, priced at $40 before taxes. It has reviews by over 300 people at the Best Buy site, and a 4.7 out of 5 stars rating. It was easy to replace. I fired up the computer and instantly noticed a faster response for loading applications. I used MS-Word for a half-hour and did not have any problems.

Thank you to all for sharing once again. It's so liberating to be able to do one's own repairs and so minimizing being a slave to technology.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/25/2016 09:35 AM, wrote:

bull**** snipped

Too soon for April 1

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, February 25, 2016 at 9:49:53 PM UTC-7, Tony Hwang wrote:
honda.lioness wrote:

What is your computer? No error message like string of numbers?

No, just spontaneous distortion of the letters when in MS-Word on occasion, and occasional spontaneous closing of the application with a request to send an error to Microsoft.

I was using MS-Word yesterday and flipping through spreadsheets for a couple of hours. Everything is running flawlessly and faster. I am delighted. I checked eBay and Amazon and think I could get the same, brand new 400 watt Insignia power supply for around $10 less. Now that I have some experience on this point, next time I will buy a power supply from the net.