Default Computer monitor problem

Hello,
I have a Dell-branded monitor, model D1728D-LS, that has an issue.
Yesterday, it was working fine until mid-afternoon when the viewing
area changed to an vertical 2"-wide rectagle. It did not crop the
image, rather the width of the monitor was compressed into this
rectangular area.

I've tried turning it off/on, disconnecting the cable (the "check
signal" message was squiggly and also appeared illegibly about 2 inches
wide), and I connected another monitor to the same machine...the other
monitor displayed the screen properly.

Is there any other troubleshooting to do (I have a basic/moderate
understanding of electronics) or anything else to check or attempt to
configure?

Thank you,
Dave

Charles Schuler

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello,
I have a Dell-branded monitor, model D1728D-LS, that has an issue.
Yesterday, it was working fine until mid-afternoon when the viewing
area changed to an vertical 2"-wide rectagle. It did not crop the
image, rather the width of the monitor was compressed into this
rectangular area.

I've tried turning it off/on, disconnecting the cable (the "check
signal" message was squiggly and also appeared illegibly about 2 inches
wide), and I connected another monitor to the same machine...the other
monitor displayed the screen properly.

There seems to be a horizontal deflection problem. Could be a transistor,
IC, capacitor, power supply issue, and so on. I'd say replace it or, if in
warranty, notify Dell or the retailer.

James Sweet

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello,
I have a Dell-branded monitor, model D1728D-LS, that has an issue.
Yesterday, it was working fine until mid-afternoon when the viewing
area changed to an vertical 2"-wide rectagle. It did not crop the
image, rather the width of the monitor was compressed into this
rectangular area.

I've tried turning it off/on, disconnecting the cable (the "check
signal" message was squiggly and also appeared illegibly about 2 inches
wide), and I connected another monitor to the same machine...the other
monitor displayed the screen properly.

Is there any other troubleshooting to do (I have a basic/moderate
understanding of electronics) or anything else to check or attempt to
configure?

Thank you,
Dave

I would start by checking or replacing the horizontal output transistor, it
could also be as simple as solder joints.

You will need a schematic to locate the horizontal transistor path. It
can be a slightly tedious process to track and fix the problem.
Replacing the transistor may fix your problem or it may just mask it
for a while. There are some pretty good sites to get you started...

http://elmswood.guernsey.net/

http://schema99.host.sk/my_page/monitory/d.htm

http://repairfaq.ece.drexel.edu/sam/monfaq.htm

http://slot-tech-ftp.serveftp.com:80...deflection.htm