Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Computer Monitor Problem

This is an old 13" SVGA monitor. Last week my computer died.
Apparently the motherboard fried. The computer got slower and slower
for several days in a row and then it would not boot at all. The
harddrive is fine. I had another used computer and put my HD into
that computer. That worked fine. Whether this is coincidense or
fact, I am not sure, but right after that happened, my monitor started
acting weird. When I turn it on, the computer boots up and everything
is fine. About 5 to 10 minutes larter, the monitor gets very dim. I
can barely read it. Shutting it off does not fix it. However, a good
smack on the side of it with my fist gets the monitor back to normal
viewing. Sometimes I have to hit it several times before I can see
the screen again. After that, it stays working just fine as long as I
dont shut it off. However, I have noticed that it occasionally gets
slightly dimmer, but is still usable.

The brightness and contrast knobs are turned to max brightness and
they do nothing when the screen gets dim.

Since this is the only monitor I have and can not afford another new
one now, I just have to keep beating on it or I cant use my computer.
I plan to begin looking for another used one, but for now, this is all
I have.

I have puttered with electronics all my life, so I am not afraid to
open this thing and I know what to keep my hands off (high voltage
wire to CRT). Anyhow, I am not going to spend any amount of time on
this. I know there are millions of these old monitors around looking
for a home, but until I find one, is there anything that I might
check? A loose solder joint seems like a possibility, although I
really dont know how that could have developed after all these years
when I never move the monitor. I should mention that jiggling the
cable from the computer does not solve these blackouts either.

Anyone have any suggestions.

Thanks

Mark
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

[...]

most likely a bad connection. I'd put a meter onto the crt electrodes
(not anode of course) and watch which one drifts out when it goes dim,
then work back from there. Its gonna be a shock when you're given a 17"
one.

NT

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote in message

Since this is the only monitor I have and can not afford another new
one now

http://freecycle.org/

or

http://www.craigslist.org/

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Huh? You can't afford a replacement monitor? You can pick up good used
17-19" CRT monitors for $10 a pop at used computer stuff type stores.
JR

wrote:
[...]

Home Page:
http://www.seanet.com/~jasonrnorth

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Homer J Simpson" writes:

wrote in message

Since this is the only monitor I have and can not afford another new
one now

http://freecycle.org/

or

http://www.craigslist.org/

And I thought this was a repair group. He said he wants to fix it.
The problem is bad solder connections, probably on the CRT neck PCB.

See the FAQs.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

JR North wrote:

Huh? You can't afford a replacement monitor? You can pick up good used
17-19" CRT monitors for $10 a pop at used computer stuff type stores.
JR

only in a minority of the world.

NT

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Sam Goldwasser" wrote in message

And I thought this was a repair group. He said he wants to fix it.
The problem is bad solder connections, probably on the CRT neck PCB.

We can't give the bloody things away. I have 5 near new 17" monitors hidden
to stop the boss from dumping them in the garbage.

--
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++
+ Required crap appended to avoid restrictions imposed by brain +

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Sam Goldwasser" wrote in message

And I thought this was a repair group. He said he wants to fix it.
The problem is bad solder connections, probably on the CRT neck PCB.

You're talking to someone who repaired IF transformers in old tube sets,
hand rebuilt broken appliance parts and who repaired small appliances like
popup toasters, steam irons and kettles for a living. But even I have seen
the writing on the wall.

--
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++
+ Required crap appended to avoid restrictions imposed by brain +
+ damaged idiots.
+
+ Server Response: '441 Posting Failed (Rejected by POST filter)', +
+ Port: 119, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 441,
+
+ Error Number: 0x800CCCA9
+
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Meat Plow writes:

On Fri, 03 Nov 2006 19:15:31 -0500, Sam Goldwasser Has Frothed:

"Homer J Simpson" writes:

wrote in message

Since this is the only monitor I have and can not afford another new
one now

http://freecycle.org/

or

http://www.craigslist.org/

And I thought this was a repair group. He said he wants to fix it. The
problem is bad solder connections, probably on the CRT neck PCB.

So why didn't you pipe up in the first place?

See the FAQs.

Those mean nothing.

And why is that? The solution is in there if you're willing to do a little
work on your own.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Homer J Simpson" writes:

"Sam Goldwasser" wrote in message

And I thought this was a repair group. He said he wants to fix it.
The problem is bad solder connections, probably on the CRT neck PCB.

You're talking to someone who repaired IF transformers in old tube sets,
hand rebuilt broken appliance parts and who repaired small appliances like
popup toasters, steam irons and kettles for a living. But even I have seen
the writing on the wall.

So we shouldn't repair anything anymore and clog up the landfills at an
every increasing rate? Sure, it doesn't make sense to pay $100 to repair
a monitor not worth $10. But, if he is able to check solder connections
and restore it in a few minutes?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Sam Goldwasser" wrote in message

So we shouldn't repair anything anymore and clog up the landfills at an
every increasing rate? Sure, it doesn't make sense to pay $100 to repair
a monitor not worth $10. But, if he is able to check solder connections
and restore it in a few minutes?

That's the point of Freecycle -- get some more use out of it before it hits
the dump. I have three Tandy 6000s and a whole bunch of hard drives in my
garage - I'll try to redistribute them to collectors.

If the OP has the skills by all means fix it. I just bought a new toaster --
for $8 -- but I plan to open my old one and see what's failed in it. Still,
there simply are no parts for these any more.