Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Phone wiring polarity question

On a single home landline:

My landline phone quit working this weekend. I knew I'd not get repair
service until Monday. I opened the connection box outside and found a
broken wire. Then another one broke while I was working in there.
So I took off all the wires, restripped them all, and started over with
"fresh" wires.
The source wires are both black. and I had them off the main connection
box outside. I did not label them (probably should have).

How do you know which source wire should go to the red and which should
go to the green (on the house wires)?
I put these colored ones to the same screws that they were originally,
but I could have reversed the black (source) wires....

Or dont it matter?????

The phones do work, and so does my internet, so either I guessed right,
or it works either way !

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 28 Nov 2015 17:21:34 -0600, wrote:

On a single home landline:

My landline phone quit working this weekend. I knew I'd not get repair
service until Monday. I opened the connection box outside and found a
broken wire. Then another one broke while I was working in there.
So I took off all the wires, restripped them all, and started over with
"fresh" wires.
The source wires are both black. and I had them off the main connection
box outside. I did not label them (probably should have).

How do you know which source wire should go to the red and which should
go to the green (on the house wires)?
I put these colored ones to the same screws that they were originally,
but I could have reversed the black (source) wires....

Or dont it matter?????

The phones do work, and so does my internet, so either I guessed right,
or it works either way !

It used to be that touchtone phones wouldn't dial if you reversed red
and green, but they fixed that 20 or 30 years ago. I think the fix
was retroactive, that is, it made old phones work backwards too.

How many phone lines do you have in your house? Any other phone
company lines?

If only one line, you only need two wires.

My friend in a NJ suburb of NYC bought a house built in the 20's or
40's or so, and it only had 3 phone wires coming into it. Even though
only 2 are needed, TPC always installs more than needed. Perhaps 3
seemed like a lot when the house was built.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, November 28, 2015 at 5:24:09 PM UTC-6, wrote:
On a single home landline:

My landline phone quit working this weekend. I knew I'd not get repair
service until Monday. I opened the connection box outside and found a
broken wire. Then another one broke while I was working in there.
So I took off all the wires, restripped them all, and started over with
"fresh" wires.
The source wires are both black. and I had them off the main connection
box outside. I did not label them (probably should have).

How do you know which source wire should go to the red and which should
go to the green (on the house wires)?
I put these colored ones to the same screws that they were originally,
but I could have reversed the black (source) wires....

Or dont it matter?????

The phones do work, and so does my internet, so either I guessed right,
or it works either way !

Your standard POTS phone line has a nominal 48 volts dc on it. The "Tip" or "Green" wire is +48vdc the "Ring" or "Red" wire is -48vdc. The drop cable coming from the pole to the NID "Network Interface Device" on the side of your home is normally a flat black cable with a grove down the middle looking a lot like a large lamp cord. The two conductors are usually copper clad steel. You can use your meter to check the DC voltage which should be the +48 to 52 volts dc on the green wire and -48 to 52 on the red wire. The ring signal is 90 volts ac at 20 cycles unless you're on an old style party line. Here's a link to a cool site with lots of information and cool telecom stuff for sale. ヽ()ノ

http://www.sandman.com/

[8~{} Uncle POTS Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default ping Uncle Monster, was: Phone wiring polarity question

In Uncle Monster writes:

e. Here's a link to a cool site with lots of information and cool telecom s=
tuff for sale. =E3=83=BD(=E2=80=A2=E2=80=BF=E2=80=A2)=E3=83=8E

http://www.sandman.com/

FYI, Mike Sandman died in a plane crash earier this year.

http://abc7chicago.com/news/bartlett...tified/836160/

Posted to alt.home.repair

--

It was a great loss to the telecom industry. I've bought stuff from him over the years and his site has always been a great source of information. (́_̀)

[8~{} Uncle Sad Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On a single home landline:

My landline phone quit working this weekend. I knew I'd not get repair
service until Monday. I opened the connection box outside and found a
broken wire. Then another one broke while I was working in there.
So I took off all the wires, restripped them all, and started over with
"fresh" wires.
The source wires are both black. and I had them off the main connection
box outside. I did not label them (probably should have).

How do you know which source wire should go to the red and which should
go to the green (on the house wires)?
I put these colored ones to the same screws that they were originally,
but I could have reversed the black (source) wires....

Or dont it matter?????

The phones do work, and so does my internet, so either I guessed right,
or it works either way !

Some phones are fussy which way they are wired,others are not.

If I remember correctly old dial phones were polarity sensitive for
the ringers.

The old (heavy) phones were polarity sensitive on the touch tone
dialer power supply. Newer (all electronic) phones don't care.
The ringer deal (3 wire "JK" station wire) used the green and yellow
for selective ringing on party lines. If you did not have a party line
you connected them together. Once joined, a rotary dial phone would
work wired either way.
I still have several Western Electric phones here and they will never
die (from lightning etc)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 29 Nov 2015 07:33:49 -0500, Art Todesco
wrote:

On 11/29/2015 3:32 AM, Micky wrote:
On Sun, 29 Nov 2015 01:11:52 -0500, wrote:

I still have several Western Electric phones here and they will never
die (from lightning etc)

Absolutely. I only have one, but it rings and works as well as it did
50 years ago, with better sound than most newer phones.

I have another phone that's older, which is in the living room, where
I could never run a phone line. It has a bottom like half a
grapefruit with the dome on top, with a cradle above that. I don't
know the name for that style.

Paid 99 cents for it at Olson's on Western Avenue in Chicago, right
across the street from Allied Radio, in 1967. The handset was 15
cents.

Boy, you bring back memories. I forgot all about Olson's. In the 60s I
went to Allied quite often for electronic stuff. Allied went through a
lot of expansion through those years and eventually, to almost nothing.
I think a lot had to do with the Tandy/Radio Shack/Allied
merger/buyout/etc. Both were great places. Also, Newark was good too.

I don't think I knew Newark.

Remember Lafayette Radio?

I bought things from Lafayette. Maybe a vom that I still have, of
course. (If I ever had it I probably still have it.) Grey and wider
than tall.

One time they had a tube tester for half price, but it had no manual.
Without the settings for each kind of tube, it's worthless. I asked
if they could get me the manual and the guy at the store (on Union
Square in NYC I think) said yes. Months went by. I called, I wrote,
I was considering going to their main store in Farmingdale? Long
Island and picketing out front. Then after about 6 months, it came in
the mail. I thought it would be photocopy, but it was an original,
with an original plastic coil binding. (I still have all that too.)
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Yup, had a Lafayette AM/FM receiver-- one of the first transistorized
models. I bought it because Consumer Reports gave it pretty good marks
plus I lived only a few miles from Lafayette HQ on Long Island. Thing
only lasted a year or two though before it died.

--
This place has a sign hangin' over the urinal that says, "Don't eat the
big white mint".
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 29 Nov 2015 12:07:57 -0600, Sam E
wrote:

On 11/28/2015 07:32 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:

[snip]

Your standard POTS phone line has a nominal 48 volts dc on it. The "Tip" or "Green" wire is +48vdc the "Ring" or "Red" wire is -48vdc. The drop cable coming from the pole to the NID "Network Interface Device" on the side of your home is normally a flat black cable with a grove down the middle looking a lot like a large lamp

cord. The two conductors are usually copper clad steel. You can use your meter to check the DC voltage which should be the +48 to 52 volts dc on the green wire and -48 to 52 on the red wire. The ring signal is 90 volts ac at 20 cycles unless you're on an old style party line. Here's a link to a cool site with lots of information
and cool telecom stuff for sale. ?(?)?

Are you REALLY saying there's 96 to 104 volts between those wires?
That's what adding your numbers gets.

Yup. Ringing current will "ring your bell"

That is what that crank on the old wooden phones generated and it
carried over into the telco switches we use today.
Google up "Tucker Telephone" I am sure it will be there somewhere. It
was what they used before "enhanced interrogation" had a name.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, November 29, 2015 at 12:08:04 PM UTC-6, Sam E wrote:
[...]

No silly, that's what you will measure on the pair between tip and ring. It should be 48 volts dc between the green and red wires. Positive on the tip or green wire and negative on the ring or red wire. You're looking for 48 volts dc but it could be up to 52 volts dc and still be acceptable. If the voltage gets too low, there won't be enough loop current to operate the phone or give you a good audio level. There is all sorts of information on The Internet about analog telephone service. POTS,"Plain Old Telephone Service". ヽ()ノ

http://www.telecomaudio.com/article02.html

[8~{} Uncle Phone Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 29 Nov 2015, Art Todesco wrote:

Boy, you bring back memories. I forgot all about Olson's. In the 60s I
went to Allied quite often for electronic stuff. Allied went through a
lot of expansion through those years and eventually, to almost nothing.
I think a lot had to do with the Tandy/Radio Shack/Allied
merger/buyout/etc. Both were great places. Also, Newark was good too.

I had their catalog. I bought from them.

Remember Lafayette Radio?

Absolutely. There was one in Newark, NJ. I still have a chassis punch set
from them. I see it has value (like $30). Someday I need to list it on
eBay.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 29 Nov 2015 21:12:56 -0500, Don Wiss
wrote:

I still have a chassis punch set
from them. I see it has value (like $30). Someday I need to list it on
eBay.

I will send you $30 right now.

Phone wiring question Steven Reynolds Home Repair 15 May 5th 08 06:12 AM
Phone wiring question Steven Reynolds Home Ownership 15 May 5th 08 06:12 AM
Home Phone Wiring Question Mr. R Home Repair 2 May 30th 04 07:38 PM
Phone Wiring Question B Home Repair 14 July 30th 03 04:35 PM
phone wiring question... gothika Electronics Repair 2 July 18th 03 11:16 AM