Posted to alt.home.repair
Art Todesco Art Todesco is offline

Default Phone wiring polarity question

On 11/29/2015 3:32 AM, Micky wrote:
On Sun, 29 Nov 2015 01:11:52 -0500, wrote:

I still have several Western Electric phones here and they will never
die (from lightning etc)

Absolutely. I only have one, but it rings and works as well as it did
50 years ago, with better sound than most newer phones.

I have another phone that's older, which is in the living room, where
I could never run a phone line. It has a bottom like half a
grapefruit with the dome on top, with a cradle above that. I don't
know the name for that style.

Paid 99 cents for it at Olson's on Western Avenue in Chicago, right
across the street from Allied Radio, in 1967. The handset was 15
cents.

Boy, you bring back memories. I forgot all about Olson's. In the 60s I
went to Allied quite often for electronic stuff. Allied went through a
lot of expansion through those years and eventually, to almost nothing.
I think a lot had to do with the Tandy/Radio Shack/Allied
merger/buyout/etc. Both were great places. Also, Newark was good too.
Remember Lafayette Radio?