Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Strange hose

If you found a 1/8" hose connected at one end to the motorscooter
carburetor, but couldn't figure out where the other end went, would
you plug the hose or leave it open?

What if you noticed that the hose was 2 inches long, bent 90 degrees
1/2" from the carbueretor, and cut on one end at a 30^ angle like some
string beans are cut? Change your answer?

What if you found a place with a few motorscooters in stock, mostly
junk and the second one he showed you had a very similar carburetor
with the exact same hose on it, 2", cut like a string bean at the
other end?

Do you think it's important to actually have the hose or can I just
leave the port open? I lost the hose and it was torn at the
connecting end anyhow. What's the purpose of a 2" hose versus
nothing at all?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 26 Nov 2015 16:38:17 -0500
Micky wrote:

If you found a 1/8" hose connected at one end to the motorscooter
carburetor, but couldn't figure out where the other end went, would
you plug the hose or leave it open?

What if you noticed that the hose was 2 inches long, bent 90 degrees
1/2" from the carbueretor, and cut on one end at a 30^ angle like some
string beans are cut? Change your answer?

What if you found a place with a few motorscooters in stock, mostly
junk and the second one he showed you had a very similar carburetor
with the exact same hose on it, 2", cut like a string bean at the
other end?

Do you think it's important to actually have the hose or can I just
leave the port open? I lost the hose and it was torn at the
connecting end anyhow. What's the purpose of a 2" hose versus
nothing at all?

You cannot get hosed with out it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

What's the purpose of a 2" hose versus
nothing at all?

A 2" hose is longer than nothing at all...
Posted to alt.home.repair

Micky wrote:

If you found a 1/8" hose connected at one end to the motorscooter
carburetor, but couldn't figure out where the other end went, would
you plug the hose or leave it open?

What if you noticed that the hose was 2 inches long, bent 90 degrees
1/2" from the carbueretor, and cut on one end at a 30^ angle like some
string beans are cut? Change your answer?

What if you found a place with a few motorscooters in stock, mostly
junk and the second one he showed you had a very similar carburetor
with the exact same hose on it, 2", cut like a string bean at the
other end?

Do you think it's important to actually have the hose or can I just
leave the port open? I lost the hose and it was torn at the
connecting end anyhow. What's the purpose of a 2" hose versus
nothing at all?

You cannot get hosed with out it.

It's patriotic. Hose say can you see!

Not sure what the function is. Might be for
pulsajet, or vaccujet. That's what Briggs
and Stratton called a couple of their carbs.

Might be why your scooter starts but won't
run.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

What's the purpose of a 2" hose versus
nothing at all?

A 2" hose is longer than nothing at all...

What about the 90 degree bend? Does that matter?

Maybe I can use some wire to put that in.

I looked for some hose but couldn't find any today before it got dark.
I have a ten-foot roll from HD that I'm going to return. I thought of
cutting 2" off it but rejected the idea. Then I thought of cutting 2"
off of some hose in my car, but the new cars don't have much slack.

Tonight I'll check the basement. There are two inches of everything
down there.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Micky wrote:

[...]

Hard to believe but stranger things have happened.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

What's the purpose of a 2" hose versus
nothing at all?

A 2" hose is longer than nothing at all...

What about the 90 degree bend? Does that matter?

Maybe I can use some wire to put that in.

I looked for some hose but couldn't find any today before it got dark.
I have a ten-foot roll from HD that I'm going to return. I thought of
cutting 2" off it but rejected the idea. Then I thought of cutting 2"
off of some hose in my car, but the new cars don't have much slack.

Tonight I'll check the basement. There are two inches of everything
down there.

Did you tried to start scooter with that hose plugged or open? Any
difference?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Micky wrote:

[...]

Tried to start the scooter with the hose plugged or not?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

If you found a 1/8" hose connected at one end to the motorscooter
carburetor, but couldn't figure out where the other end went, would
you plug the hose or leave it open?

What if you noticed that the hose was 2 inches long, bent 90 degrees
1/2" from the carbueretor, and cut on one end at a 30^ angle like some
string beans are cut? Change your answer?

What if you found a place with a few motorscooters in stock, mostly
junk and the second one he showed you had a very similar carburetor
with the exact same hose on it, 2", cut like a string bean at the
other end?

Do you think it's important to actually have the hose or can I just
leave the port open? I lost the hose and it was torn at the
connecting end anyhow. What's the purpose of a 2" hose versus
nothing at all?

Sounds like a vent and they put the hose on to get any fuel that may
come out to get away from the carb (or to make it harder to get dirt
in)
There is a similar hose on a Mercury outboard VST. It just dead ends
down in the lower cowl.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Micky wrote:

[...]

No hose but both with the port plugged and not. Didnt' hear a
difference. But I only tried a tiny big with it it plugged, because
that junk scooter downtown had the exact same hose. complete with the
cut on the end.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

It has to be to keep dirt out. There's no sign of gas residue
anywhere.

What I shoudl have done, could have done in the 30 seconds the thing
was running, is put my finger on the nipple, to see if it's sucking
air in. Or a piece of paper like a diaphragm. Tomorrow.

There is a similar hose on a Mercury outboard VST. It just dead ends
down in the lower cowl.

I found lots about VST engines, but coudln't find out what VST stood
for or what made the engine VSt.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/26/2015 02:38 PM, Micky wrote:
Do you think it's important to actually have the hose or can I just
leave the port open? I lost the hose and it was torn at the
connecting end anyhow. What's the purpose of a 2" hose versus
nothing at all?

Float bowl drain so it doesn't run down the side of the engine? Some
sort of vent that would go to a carbon filter in California but
contributes to global warming in the other 49 states? Those are usually
gas tank vents though.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 26 Nov 2015 17:12:05 -0700, rbowman
wrote:

On 11/26/2015 02:38 PM, Micky wrote:
Do you think it's important to actually have the hose or can I just
leave the port open? I lost the hose and it was torn at the
connecting end anyhow. What's the purpose of a 2" hose versus
nothing at all?

Float bowl drain so it doesn't run down the side of the engine? Some

I'll keep that in mind. Maybe I can eventually have an answer.

sort of vent that would go to a carbon filter in California but

Actually I'm sure I read that these little scooters are not legal in
California because of inadequate air pollution guards. They are
small but if there were 200,000 I guess it would add up.

contributes to global warming in the other 49 states? Those are usually
gas tank vents though.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Some carbs have a drain screw at the bottom of the
fuel bowel. You can unscrew them to open the valve
And drain the carb bowel at the end of the season.
The hose just guides the gas away.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 11/26/2015 02:38 PM, Micky wrote:
Do you think it's important to actually have the hose or can I just
leave the port open? I lost the hose and it was torn at the
connecting end anyhow. What's the purpose of a 2" hose versus
nothing at all?

Float bowl drain so it doesn't run down the side of the engine? Some

If you look at the *bottom* picture of this thing,
http://www.amazon.com/50cc-18mm-Carb...B004J5CJVA#Ask

Both in the unenlarged and enlarged views, you can see the short hose.
There's another black wire behind it, but don't let that confuse you.

The carburetor normally sits so that the brass opening, with the
throttle plate inside, faces forward, and the bottom of the carb, the
bowl, is shown on the bottom of this photograph. It seems to have
some sort of drain, so even though this isn't exactly like mine, maybe
that's how I could drain the carburetor. I'll look with a mirror
tomorrow, even if it's cold.

I'll keep that in mind. Maybe I can eventually have an answer.

sort of vent that would go to a carbon filter in California but

Actually I'm sure I read that these little scooters are not legal in
California because of inadequate air pollution guards. They are
small but if there were 200,000 I guess it would add up.

Yes, I saw that one on Amazon won't ship to Alaska or Hawaii, I guess
because they are too far away, or to California, because of the air
pollution laws, or to Texas, maybe because they have California-style
air pollution laws too!

contributes to global warming in the other 49 states? Those are usually
gas tank vents though.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 11/26/2015 02:38 PM, Micky wrote:
Do you think it's important to actually have the hose or can I just
leave the port open? I lost the hose and it was torn at the
connecting end anyhow. What's the purpose of a 2" hose versus
nothing at all?

Float bowl drain so it doesn't run down the side of the engine? Some

If you look at the *bottom* picture of this thing,
http://www.amazon.com/50cc-18mm-Carb...B004J5CJVA#Ask

An even better view of the strange hose is in this picturem, in the
top one, expanded view. Maybe it has to do with gas overflowing the
bowl? The hose points what is down when the carb is installed.
http://www.amazon.com/GOOFIT-Scooter...0cc+carburetor
At the bottom it looks like a drain for the bowl, but I tried just now
and couldnt' feel anything with my fingers or look at it even with a
mirror. I can remove the carb but probably not until spring.