Posted to alt.home.repair

Default commode occasionally runs already replaced flapper still doing it

On 11/21/2015 09:11 AM, Retired wrote:
On 11/21/15 8:39 AM, Al roarke wrote:
I have a slight problem where I can hear my commode running. It does
this for about 15 seconds maybe 4-5 times a day. At first I thought
the flap needed replacing and did that, but still doing it. To help
maybe rule out the flap completely, I placed a weight on top of the
new flap, the colored the tank water. After an hour, I could see some
color in the bottom of the bowl. I am using a Fluidmaster valve,
could this be going bad? Thanks.

Is it possible the float valve is set too high, and water is running
into the overflow pipe ?

No, in fact I just set it a bit lower.

Did you check the rim of the opening the flapper sets on for a defects ?

I'll check that next, thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/21/2015 09:11 AM, Retired wrote:
On 11/21/15 8:39 AM, Al roarke wrote:
I have a slight problem where I can hear my commode running. It does
this for about 15 seconds maybe 4-5 times a day. At first I thought
the flap needed replacing and did that, but still doing it. To help
maybe rule out the flap completely, I placed a weight on top of the
new flap, the colored the tank water. After an hour, I could see some
color in the bottom of the bowl. I am using a Fluidmaster valve,
could this be going bad? Thanks.

Is it possible the float valve is set too high, and water is running
into the overflow pipe ?

Did you check the rim of the opening the flapper sets on for a defects ?

Ok, just checked it. A little hard to see since it's black PVC, but
upon looking with flashlight it seems fine. I ran my finger around it
and felt smooth all the way.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, November 21, 2015 at 7:39:45 AM UTC-6, Al roarke wrote:
I have a slight problem where I can hear my commode running. It does
this for about 15 seconds maybe 4-5 times a day. At first I thought the
flap needed replacing and did that, but still doing it. To help maybe
rule out the flap completely, I placed a weight on top of the new flap,
the colored the tank water. After an hour, I could see some color in
the bottom of the bowl. I am using a Fluidmaster valve, could this be
going bad? Thanks.

The top seal can be replaced on a Fluidmaster...something like a quarter turn, after you remove the black cap. You may even find it dirty...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 21 Nov 2015 08:39:41 -0500
Al roarke wrote:

I have a slight problem where I can hear my commode running. It does
this for about 15 seconds maybe 4-5 times a day. At first I thought
the flap needed replacing and did that, but still doing it. To help
maybe rule out the flap completely, I placed a weight on top of the
new flap, the colored the tank water. After an hour, I could see
some color in the bottom of the bowl. I am using a Fluidmaster
valve, could this be going bad? Thanks.

Apparently that is not an EPA approved commode.
They do that to tell you to replace with a government approved
very low flow commode. If you don't in about
a week it will explode.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 21 Nov 2015 08:22:02 -0500, Al roarke
wrote:

On 11/21/2015 09:11 AM, Retired wrote:
On 11/21/15 8:39 AM, Al roarke wrote:
I have a slight problem where I can hear my commode running. It does
this for about 15 seconds maybe 4-5 times a day. At first I thought
the flap needed replacing and did that, but still doing it. To help
maybe rule out the flap completely, I placed a weight on top of the
new flap, the colored the tank water. After an hour, I could see some
color in the bottom of the bowl. I am using a Fluidmaster valve,
could this be going bad? Thanks.

Is it possible the float valve is set too high, and water is running
into the overflow pipe ?

Did you check the rim of the opening the flapper sets on for a defects ?

Ok, just checked it. A little hard to see since it's black PVC, but
upon looking with flashlight it seems fine. I ran my finger around it
and felt smooth all the way.

Try rotating the flapper left or right a bit or up or down. It may be
off a small bit and needs to be adjusted. BTDT
Posted to alt.home.repair

Al roarke wrote:

I have a slight problem where I can hear my commode running. It does
this for about 15 seconds maybe 4-5 times a day. At first I thought
the flap needed replacing and did that, but still doing it. To help
maybe rule out the flap completely, I placed a weight on top of the
new flap, the colored the tank water. After an hour, I could see
some color in the bottom of the bowl. I am using a Fluidmaster
valve, could this be going bad? Thanks.

Apparently that is not an EPA approved commode.
They do that to tell you to replace with a government approved
very low flow commode. If you don't in about
a week it will explode.

I heard yours exploded, right?, LOL!
Posted to alt.home.repair

Retired wrote:
On 11/21/15 8:39 AM, Al roarke wrote:
I have a slight problem where I can hear my commode running. It does
this for about 15 seconds maybe 4-5 times a day. At first I thought
the flap needed replacing and did that, but still doing it. To help
maybe rule out the flap completely, I placed a weight on top of the
new flap, the colored the tank water. After an hour, I could see some
color in the bottom of the bowl. I am using a Fluidmaster valve,
could this be going bad? Thanks.

Is it possible the float valve is set too high, and water is running
into the overflow pipe ?

Did you check the rim of the opening the flapper sets on for a defects ?

You still fiddle with that? I'd replace the fill valve as well. I had
always good luck with Korky brand. Logic tells if flapper does not fix
the problem, next thing to try is new fill valve.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Al roarke wrote:

I have a slight problem where I can hear my commode running. It does
this for about 15 seconds maybe 4-5 times a day. At first I thought
the flap needed replacing and did that, but still doing it. To help
maybe rule out the flap completely, I placed a weight on top of the
new flap, the colored the tank water. After an hour, I could see
some color in the bottom of the bowl. I am using a Fluidmaster
valve, could this be going bad?

Unless it's overflowing into the overflow tube, no. If the valve is
leaking and the flapper is sealing, the tank would be overflowing.

I had no trouble getting flappers for my toilets when I first lived h
here, but the hardware store I went to closed, and no place else sold
the model I used. Then I was at a custodial supply house that I
guess really was wholesale (because it was so cheap), and required a
letterhead statement from a business to shop there.

The flappers, same name brand, were about a dollar a piece (Isn't
that cheap?) so I bought 24 of them!

The first one worked fine, but the next one took 4 months to seat
right. I would take the lid off and use a stick to push it into the
pipe, and then it would seal until the next time I flushed the toilet.
After the 4 months, it's been working fine for years.

I haven't needed a third until now, and I'm waiting to see if it will
be perfect like the first one or the same way.

Apparently that is not an EPA approved commode.
They do that to tell you to replace with a government approved
very low flow commode. If you don't in about
a week it will explode.

You can prevent this by planting a rose bush in the toilet.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 21 Nov 2015 14:01:50 -0500, Micky
wrote:

You can prevent this by planting a rose bush in the toilet.

And you will FERTILIZE it daily

Posted to alt.home.repair

Al roarke wrote:

I have a slight problem where I can hear my commode running. It
does this for about 15 seconds maybe 4-5 times a day. At first I
thought the flap needed replacing and did that, but still doing
it. To help maybe rule out the flap completely, I placed a weight
on top of the new flap, the colored the tank water. After an
hour, I could see some color in the bottom of the bowl. I am
using a Fluidmaster valve, could this be going bad? Thanks.

Apparently that is not an EPA approved commode.
They do that to tell you to replace with a government approved
very low flow commode. If you don't in about
a week it will explode.

I heard yours exploded, right?, LOL!

I have nothing here approved by the EPA.
They and them that follow them are limp wristed types all.
Posted to alt.home.repair

bob_villain submitted this idea :
On Saturday, November 21, 2015 at 7:39:45 AM UTC-6, Al roarke wrote:
I have a slight problem where I can hear my commode running. It does
this for about 15 seconds maybe 4-5 times a day. At first I thought the
flap needed replacing and did that, but still doing it. To help maybe
rule out the flap completely, I placed a weight on top of the new flap,
the colored the tank water. After an hour, I could see some color in
the bottom of the bowl. I am using a Fluidmaster valve, could this be
going bad? Thanks.

The top seal can be replaced on a Fluidmaster...something like a quarter
turn, after you remove the black cap. You may even find it dirty...

Did you know that FrozenNorth was a net cop?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Micky has brought this to us :

Al roarke wrote:

[...]

btj would enjoy the thorns in his booty...
Posted to alt.home.repair

Tony Hwang posted for all of us...

Al roarke wrote:

I have a slight problem where I can hear my commode running. It does
this for about 15 seconds maybe 4-5 times a day. At first I thought
the flap needed replacing and did that, but still doing it. To help
maybe rule out the flap completely, I placed a weight on top of the
new flap, the colored the tank water. After an hour, I could see
some color in the bottom of the bowl. I am using a Fluidmaster
valve, could this be going bad? Thanks.

Apparently that is not an EPA approved commode.
They do that to tell you to replace with a government approved
very low flow commode. If you don't in about
a week it will explode.

I heard yours exploded, right?, LOL!

That is because of all the weight of the BS it had to support and wasn't up
to the job of holding him and his "friend" at the same time. He should be
using the hopper at the cement plant...

--
Tekkie

Posted to alt.home.repair

I replaced the Fluidmaster valve this morning, and the flapper last
week. The food coloring test is still showing up at the bottom of the
bowl after about 15 min. Not sure what else to do. I am considering
trying the Korky kit that supposedly "repairs" the flapper by using a
ring that is siliconed in place under it. I suppose if that doesn't
work, I'll have to pull off the tank and replace those parts.

I have a slight problem where I can hear my commode running. It does
this for about 15 seconds maybe 4-5 times a day. At first I thought the
flap needed replacing and did that, but still doing it. To help maybe
rule out the flap completely, I placed a weight on top of the new flap,
the colored the tank water. After an hour, I could see some color in
the bottom of the bowl. I am using a Fluidmaster valve, could this be
going bad? Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 24 Nov 2015 09:43:19 -0500, Al roarke
wrote:

I replaced the Fluidmaster valve this morning, and the flapper last
week. The food coloring test is still showing up at the bottom of the
bowl after about 15 min. Not sure what else to do. I am considering
trying the Korky kit that supposedly "repairs" the flapper by using a
ring that is siliconed in place under it. I suppose if that doesn't
work, I'll have to pull off the tank and replace those parts.

The gasket for the tank to bowl may need replacement, causing a leak.
Can't see it from here. Worse case is the tank may have a hairline
crack so the dye leaks into the bowl?

I have a slight problem where I can hear my commode running. It does
this for about 15 seconds maybe 4-5 times a day. At first I thought the
flap needed replacing and did that, but still doing it. To help maybe
rule out the flap completely, I placed a weight on top of the new flap,
the colored the tank water. After an hour, I could see some color in
the bottom of the bowl. I am using a Fluidmaster valve, could this be
going bad? Thanks.

Stick to it. You'll solve the problem. A few choice curse words don't
hurt

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/24/15 9:43 AM, Al roarke wrote:
I replaced the Fluidmaster valve this morning, and the flapper last
week. The food coloring test is still showing up at the bottom of the
bowl after about 15 min. Not sure what else to do. I am considering
trying the Korky kit that supposedly "repairs" the flapper by using a
ring that is siliconed in place under it. I suppose if that doesn't
work, I'll have to pull off the tank and replace those parts.

I have a slight problem where I can hear my commode running. It does
this for about 15 seconds maybe 4-5 times a day. At first I thought the
flap needed replacing and did that, but still doing it. To help maybe
rule out the flap completely, I placed a weight on top of the new flap,
the colored the tank water. After an hour, I could see some color in
the bottom of the bowl. I am using a Fluidmaster valve, could this be
going bad? Thanks.

Perhaps if you quit top-posting, the Toilet Gods would be appeased and
stop your toilet from leaking...

--
Somewhere along the line, politicians discovered it's more fun to tell
people how to live than it is to fix potholes.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 24 Nov 2015 17:55:05 -0500, njoracle
wrote:

Travis Bickle wrote:
[...]

The guy top posted one time. Now you bullies want to steal his lunch
money. Maybe both of you could offer some type of solution?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I replaced the Fluidmaster valve this morning, and the flapper last
week. The food coloring test is still showing up at the bottom of the
bowl after about 15 min. Not sure what else to do. I am considering
trying the Korky kit that supposedly "repairs" the flapper by using a
ring that is siliconed in place under it. I suppose if that doesn't
work, I'll have to pull off the tank and replace those parts.

Let it fill, then turn off the water supply. If the tank leaks down,
it's the flapper. If it doesn't leak down, its the valve.

I used the Corky kit which basically provides a ring that is silicone
applied to the seat. It says to allow 15 min after resetting, but I let
it sit for 2 hours before refilling the tank. Same results, I can see
traces of food coloring working from the tank into the bowl. When I
shine a flashlight down the overflow tube, I don't see anything leaking
in from the side.

I guess I'll shut off the water and see what happens. Just for
clarification, by tank "leaking down" are you meaning the water level
dropping inside the tank versus not? Since the occasional running of
the commode is so infrequent, I guess I'd better carefully mark the
initial water level. Since the family needs the water tonight, I will
have to try this tomorrow.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

You mean you have to shut off whole house water supply? Don't have a
water cock right under the tank just to shut off water going to
tank?what kinda plumbing is that?

There is, but I don't trust it and leave it alone. A few years back, I
had serious issues getting it to fully close off the supply line and it
wanted to start leaking, so I carefully opened it back up and left it
that way. Definitely don't want to have to start soldering the pipes
with a new valve!

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Just use your dye to keep it simple.
But if it's the valve you should see the water rise to the overflow
tube. The overflow tube shouldn't submerge.
There's also a possibility your overflow tube seal is leaking through
or the tube itself has a crack that allows water to leak down.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/24/2015 08:43 AM, Al roarke wrote:
I replaced the Fluidmaster valve this morning, and the flapper last
week. The food coloring test is still showing up at the bottom of the
bowl after about 15 min. Not sure what else to do. I am considering
trying the Korky kit that supposedly "repairs" the flapper by using a
ring that is siliconed in place under it. I suppose if that doesn't
work, I'll have to pull off the tank and replace those parts.

I have a toilet that runs like that (small tank-to-bowl leak). I've
tried that, after replacing the fill valve, flapper, and flapper seat
more than once. No effect on the leak & running (except when I made it
worse for awhile, flapper chain a little too short). The food coloring
test doesn't help (it shows in the bowl, but I already know it leaks).
It diffuses too thoroughly to show the location of the leak.

I have a slight problem where I can hear my commode running. It does
this for about 15 seconds maybe 4-5 times a day. At first I thought the
flap needed replacing and did that, but still doing it. To help maybe
rule out the flap completely, I placed a weight on top of the new flap,
the colored the tank water. After an hour, I could see some color in
the bottom of the bowl. I am using a Fluidmaster valve, could this be
going bad? Thanks.

--
31 days until the winter celebration (Friday December 25, 2015 12:00:00
AM for 1 day).

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"... when people begin to philosophize they seem to think it necessary
to make themselves artificially stupid." [Bertrand Russell in "Theory of
Knowledge"]
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/24/2015 01:57 PM, Oren wrote:

[snip]

Stick to it. You'll solve the problem. A few choice curse words don't
hurt

Words CAN do things in the real world. Say them so loud they cause the
porcelain to crack

--
31 days until the winter celebration (Friday December 25, 2015 12:00:00
AM for 1 day).

"To me, faith is not better because it is atheistic rather than
theistic. I am an atheist because of a *lack* of faith, *not* because of
a different faith." [Russell Turpin on alt.atheism]
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/24/2015 06:17 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:

[snip]

You mean you have to shut off whole house water supply? Don't have a
water cock right under the tank just to shut off water going to
tank?what kinda plumbing is that?

A valve that hasn't been turned in years is likely to get stuck and be
no better than no valve at all. It could be worse. It could leak on the
floor.

--
31 days until the winter celebration (Friday December 25, 2015 12:00:00
AM for 1 day).

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"... when people begin to philosophize they seem to think it necessary
to make themselves artificially stupid." [Bertrand Russell in "Theory of
Knowledge"]
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/24/2015 09:20 PM, Mark Lloyd wrote:
On 11/24/2015 08:43 AM, Al roarke wrote:
I replaced the Fluidmaster valve this morning, and the flapper last
week. The food coloring test is still showing up at the bottom of the
bowl after about 15 min. Not sure what else to do. I am considering
trying the Korky kit that supposedly "repairs" the flapper by using a
ring that is siliconed in place under it. I suppose if that doesn't
work, I'll have to pull off the tank and replace those parts.

I have a toilet that runs like that (small tank-to-bowl leak). I've
tried that, after replacing the fill valve, flapper, and flapper seat
more than once. No effect on the leak & running (except when I made it
worse for awhile, flapper chain a little too short). The food coloring
test doesn't help (it shows in the bowl, but I already know it leaks).
It diffuses too thoroughly to show the location of the leak.

With mine, I think the only thing left it can be is the flush valve. I
replaced it once already about 5 years ago. There was originally a
brass one in place and it was a bear to remove as the brass nut almost
seemed like it fused to the tank, but I managed to free the assembly.
Replacement was with Fluidmaster plastic. Now in my head I'm trying to
decide if I want to again go with Fluidmaster or opt for the brass as I
see brass is still available. The brass that had originally been in
there must have lasted 25 years.

I have a slight problem where I can hear my commode running. It does
this for about 15 seconds maybe 4-5 times a day. At first I thought the
flap needed replacing and did that, but still doing it. To help maybe
rule out the flap completely, I placed a weight on top of the new flap,
the colored the tank water. After an hour, I could see some color in
the bottom of the bowl. I am using a Fluidmaster valve, could this be
going bad? Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/24/2015 9:31 PM, Mark Lloyd wrote:
On 11/24/2015 06:17 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:

[snip]

You mean you have to shut off whole house water supply? Don't have a
water cock right under the tank just to shut off water going to
tank?what kinda plumbing is that?

A valve that hasn't been turned in years is likely to get stuck and be
no better than no valve at all. It could be worse. It could leak on the
floor.

I'll admit, I fail to exercise my various shut off
valves around the home. Likely to be a problem when
they are needed.

Rading your "no better than no valve at all" reminds
me of the old limerick about differnt sizes. How about
a rewite?

There was an old man from alt home repair
Whose valve was not turned, I declare
One was rotted and small
T'was no valve at all
The other won several prizes.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/25/2015 3:13 AM, Al roarke wrote:
[...]

Does the tank have over flow tube? Is the water level
below the top of the tube?

I'd choose brass over other metal, even if it
costs a bit more. The savings is over time, and
having a dependable toilet.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/25/2015 09:08 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
[...]

Yes and yes.

I'd choose brass over other metal, even if it
costs a bit more. The savings is over time, and
having a dependable toilet.

I just ordered the brass flush valve with ball and rods. Hopefully take
care of this leak.

The only question remaining is that I'm wondering if I can coat the
brass parts with something to keep them from seizing up either against
the valve itself or against the porcelain commode. When I had to remove
the prior brass parts, I actually had to dremel them away to get them
freed from the commode. Just trying to avoid that next time.

flapper won't come down, where to find this flapper? John Smith[_17_] Home Repair 17 September 9th 15 05:52 AM
CELITE Commode ? Scutes Home Repair 1 September 4th 15 06:02 PM
new commode trailer[_2_] Home Repair 36 May 23rd 09 07:50 PM
Fluidmaster flapper toilet valve - need new flapper [email protected] UK diy 4 January 15th 07 05:29 PM
commode leak Evon Barvinchack Home Repair 3 June 15th 05 08:34 PM