Posted to alt.home.repair

Default new commode

We're thinking about replacing one of our 1970's era commodes in one of our
bathrooms. We have 3 commodes in the house and will probably replace all of
them eventually. Each commode is of the older (6 gallon?) flush type.

Years ago I was told to hang on to the older commodes because the newer ones
didn't flush well and were prone to a lot of noise.

How do the new commodes sold today work? We are looking to save water, even
though just two adults live in the house.

Also, are the newer commodes quite? I don't think I would accept a commode
that made a lot of flush noise.

Any advice or recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 17, 12:05*pm, "trailer" wrote:
We're thinking about replacing one of our 1970's era commodes in one of our
bathrooms. *We have 3 commodes in the house and will probably replace all of
them eventually. *Each commode is of the older (6 gallon?) flush type.

Years ago I was told to hang on to the older commodes because the newer ones
didn't flush well and were prone to a lot of noise.

How do the new commodes sold today work? *We are looking to save water, even
though just two adults live in the house.

Also, are the newer commodes quite? *I don't think I would accept a commode
that made a lot of flush noise.

Any advice or recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks

Consumer reports tested most of them, subscribe I guess or maybe the
review can be googled. Get a glazed large trap. They now work well,
even HDs 59.95 glacier bay unit, I had a apt converted to them in 07
and had had no complaints and they are quiet, I put in 12 of them. Im
sure many new ones dont flush well, the pressurized tanks are real
noisy, like a jet taking off, but there should be alot out there that
have the bugs worked out that save water. The reason to read a review
like CR is money spent doesnt determine what is good.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Please take the old ones out gently, and list them for sale,
used. Used toilets have a real place in the world. Some
folks hate the 1.6 galon "flush twice, or clog the drain"
models.

If you put in 1.6, be sure to wash your hands after, to send
more water down the drain.

Quite? Quite, what? The ones I've used have been quite
inadequate.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"trailer" wrote in message
We're thinking about replacing one of our 1970's era
commodes in one of our
bathrooms. We have 3 commodes in the house and will
probably replace all of
them eventually. Each commode is of the older (6 gallon?)
flush type.

Years ago I was told to hang on to the older commodes
because the newer ones
didn't flush well and were prone to a lot of noise.

How do the new commodes sold today work? We are looking to
save water, even
though just two adults live in the house.

Also, are the newer commodes quite? I don't think I would
accept a commode
that made a lot of flush noise.

Any advice or recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

trailer wrote:
We're thinking about replacing one of our 1970's era commodes in one of our
bathrooms. We have 3 commodes in the house and will probably replace all of
them eventually. Each commode is of the older (6 gallon?) flush type.

Years ago I was told to hang on to the older commodes because the newer ones
didn't flush well and were prone to a lot of noise.

How do the new commodes sold today work? We are looking to save water, even
though just two adults live in the house.

Also, are the newer commodes quite? I don't think I would accept a commode
that made a lot of flush noise.

Any advice or recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks

I've never heard of a "noisy" toilet. And i've had real good luck with
the american standard 'wellworth' model of toilets. If you want extra
water down the hatch (which our 6 have never needed) you just hold the
handle down.

Posted to alt.home.repair

trailer wrote:
We're thinking about replacing one of our 1970's era commodes in one of our
bathrooms. We have 3 commodes in the house and will probably replace all of
them eventually. Each commode is of the older (6 gallon?) flush type.

Years ago I was told to hang on to the older commodes because the newer ones
didn't flush well and were prone to a lot of noise.

How do the new commodes sold today work? We are looking to save water, even
though just two adults live in the house.

Also, are the newer commodes quite? I don't think I would accept a commode
that made a lot of flush noise.

Any advice or recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks

I've had 3 of mine replaced. All three were an improvement and are not
noisier. I suspect the bad reputation of the low water consumption
toilets was probably due to the first ones that came out many years ago.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"trailer" wrote in message
We're thinking about replacing one of our 1970's era commodes in one of
our
bathrooms. We have 3 commodes in the house and will probably replace all
of
them eventually. Each commode is of the older (6 gallon?) flush type.

Years ago I was told to hang on to the older commodes because the newer
ones
didn't flush well and were prone to a lot of noise.

How do the new commodes sold today work? We are looking to save water,
even
though just two adults live in the house.

Also, are the newer commodes quite? I don't think I would accept a
commode
that made a lot of flush noise.

Some of the old ones were terrible. The new ones, however, work well and
flush fairly quietly. American Standard has a Cadet line with 4" trap that
is supposed to be very good (I've seen demos on TV) and Kohler makes a
couple of good ones. We have Kohler at work and no problems in over two
years now.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"trailer" wrote in message
We're thinking about replacing one of our 1970's era commodes in one of
our
bathrooms. We have 3 commodes in the house and will probably replace all
of
them eventually. Each commode is of the older (6 gallon?) flush type.

Years ago I was told to hang on to the older commodes because the newer
ones
didn't flush well and were prone to a lot of noise.

How do the new commodes sold today work? We are looking to save water,
even
though just two adults live in the house.

Also, are the newer commodes quite? I don't think I would accept a
commode
that made a lot of flush noise.

Any advice or recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks

You mean "quiet" not "quite".

I replaced 2 old toilets with LF toilets in my house in Abq. The new toilets
worked much better and were not noisy. You maybe referring to the power
flush toilets which are more expensive and in my situation not necessary.

I wonder if altitude has anything to do with the function of toilets?

od

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 17, 1:57*pm, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
Please take the old ones out gently, and list them for sale,
used. Used toilets have a real place in the world. Some
folks hate the 1.6 galon "flush twice, or clog the drain"
models.

If you put in 1.6, be sure to wash your hands after, to send
more water down the drain.

Reading into that, does that mean you don't wash your hands
afterwards?

Quite? Quite, what? The ones I've used have been quite
inadequate.

You've obviously never had a Toto. Lumping all low-flush toilets
together is like lumping all softwoods together - you know,
meaningless.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Quite? Quite, what? The ones I've used have been quite
inadequate.

Maybe he means "the seat is quite cold in the morning"

Posted to alt.home.repair

"trailer" wrote in message
We're thinking about replacing one of our 1970's era commodes in one of
our
bathrooms. We have 3 commodes in the house and will probably replace all
of
them eventually. Each commode is of the older (6 gallon?) flush type.

Years ago I was told to hang on to the older commodes because the newer
ones
didn't flush well and were prone to a lot of noise.

How do the new commodes sold today work? We are looking to save water,
even
though just two adults live in the house.

Also, are the newer commodes quite? I don't think I would accept a
commode
that made a lot of flush noise.

Any advice or recommendations would be appreciated.

I put in one about 2 years ago. It was a high dollar one and it flushes
well. Main thing is it does not swirle the water like the older ones and
leaves solid waste stains above where the water is if you miss the water
already in it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 17, 4:10*pm, wrote:

I'll trade you my low water toilet for one of your old toilets, even
if it's ugly. *Having to "babysit" the damn toilet for 5 minutes
everytime I take a **** is getting tiring. *After 2, 3, or 4 flushes
and use of a plunger, I can get the **** to go down the pipe without
overflowing. *Then I have to flush once more to avoid clogging the
sewer pipes. *So, my approx. 2 gallon flusher needs 6 to 10 gallons to
get the job done. *

A new toilet cost a buck or a buck and a half, and you've put up with
this for how long...?

Then at least two or three times every winter, because there is not
enough water to push the **** thru the pipes, the pipes freeze on
their way to the septic. *Then I have to force a garden hose thru the
pipes and force 200 or more gallons of hot water thru the pipes to
clear the freezup. *So, over the years I have learned that when the
weather is below zero, I have to *put about 10 gallons of hot water in
the bathtub after each flush, and then let it clear the pipes. *

If you have that much of a freezing problem, a little more water will
freeze up in the waste line every time something flows through it.
Even with a six gallon flush you'd end up getting a frozen blockage.
Drain lines should be run below the frost line whenever possible. It
sounds like you need a redesign.

When do you want to trade? *I know my boss would be pleased, because I
would not get to work late at least once a week because the toilet
backed up just when I was supposed to be driving to work.

Poop in the evening.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On Sun, 17 May 2009 12:05:19 -0500, "trailer" wrote:

[...]

If you've got sh!t freezing in your drainage pipes you've got more than
toilet problems. Insulate your pipes. Where to you live?

od

Posted to alt.home.repair

"trailer" wrote

Years ago I was told to hang on to the older commodes because the newer
ones
didn't flush well and were prone to a lot of noise.

Perhaps the earlier ones were. I dont know. The new ones (even cheaper
models) work just fine and are quiet.

Here's an aspect the others didnt mention. The footprint may be different
so you may end up with a tile/flooring issue. Generally the newer ones are
smaller footprint than the older larger models.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

Don't blame fubar'd house drain lines on a low-flow toilet. Sounds like
there isn't enough slope in your main drain, or it is partially
collapsed or full of roots or something. If the main line to your septic
freezes, it wasn't set deep enough in the first place.

--
aem sends....

Posted to alt.home.repair

yep-should have been 'quiet'. sorry.

someone brought up the footprint issue. do some of the newer toilets have
the same footprints as the older ones? Also wonder about the toilet hold
down screws lining up same as old toilet.

my current toilets are American Standard, vintage 1970-1973. I guess the
gallons are 3.2/flush.

"olddog" wrote in message

"trailer" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Red is offline

On May 17, 12:05*pm, "trailer" wrote:
We're thinking about replacing one of our 1970's era commodes in one of our
bathrooms. *We have 3 commodes in the house and will probably replace all of
them eventually. *Each commode is of the older (6 gallon?) flush type.

Years ago I was told to hang on to the older commodes because the newer ones
didn't flush well and were prone to a lot of noise.

How do the new commodes sold today work? *We are looking to save water, even
though just two adults live in the house.

Also, are the newer commodes quite? *I don't think I would accept a commode
that made a lot of flush noise.

Any advice or recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks

I replaced my 70's era commodes a few years ago with American Standard
LF ones. They barely flushed but worked for a couple of years. Then
it was a constant battle & several flushes to get all the crap out of
the bowl. I replaced them with Toto units and everything shoots out
of the bowl in one flush. Doesn't seem to matter how much crap or
paper is in the bowl, it all shoots out in one flush. I even saw an ad
showing them flushing kids toys down one.

Toto had a patent on their toilets and no one could duplicate them.
The prices were high but well worth it. The patent ran out late last
year and several companies are now making their toilets to Toto specs
at a cheaper price. Stay away from the big box stores and go to your
local plumbing supply for info on which models are similar to Toto.

Red
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 17, 6:28*pm, Red wrote:
[...]

Danger, Will Robinson! Don't show that video to a kid! It'll give
them ideas.

Toto had a patent on their toilets and no one could duplicate them.
The prices were high but well worth it. The patent ran out late last
year and several companies are now making their toilets to Toto specs
at a cheaper price. *Stay away from the big box stores and go to your
local plumbing supply for info on which models are similar to Toto.

I hadn't heard that about the patents. I found a guy on eBay that
sold Toto toilets - he also had a web site, and the prices I got
through him were quite reasonable.
Posted to alt.home.repair

trailer wrote:
toilet might have been a better term...

"Commode" is less ambigious.

"Toilet" could be a room. "Commode" is definitely a fixture.

No one ever says "I'm going to the commode."

Posted to alt.home.repair

trailer wrote:
We're thinking about replacing one of our 1970's era commodes in one
of our bathrooms. We have 3 commodes in the house and will probably
replace all of them eventually. Each commode is of the older (6
gallon?) flush type.

Years ago I was told to hang on to the older commodes because the
newer ones didn't flush well and were prone to a lot of noise.

How do the new commodes sold today work? We are looking to save
water, even though just two adults live in the house.

Also, are the newer commodes quite? I don't think I would accept a
commode that made a lot of flush noise.

Any advice or recommendations would be appreciated.

If you really want to save water, consider the following refrain:

In days of old,
When knights were bold,
Before toilets were invented,
They dumped their load,
Beside the road,
And went their way contented.

Posted to alt.home.repair

RicodJour wrote:

On May 17, 6:28*pm, Red wrote:

-snip-
I replaced my 70's era commodes a few years ago with American Standard
LF ones. *They barely flushed but worked for a couple of years. *Then
it was a constant battle & several flushes to get all the crap out of
the bowl. *I replaced them with Toto units and everything shoots out
of the bowl in one flush. *Doesn't seem to matter how much crap or
paper is in the bowl, it all shoots out in one flush. I even saw an ad
showing them flushing kids toys down one.

Danger, Will Robinson! Don't show that video to a kid! It'll give
them ideas.

Toys!? How about 36 golf balls?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJeNXiuOs-8

[a danze toilet, BTW]
Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sun, 17 May 2009 13:41:13 -0500, Steve Barker
wrote:

I've never heard of a "noisy" toilet.

Yean, but there were certainlly quiet toilets. More quiet than 95+% of
the others. The one we had until we moved when I was ten was so quiet
during flushing. My father must have paid extra for it. The tank was
very short, at least 10 or 12 inches shorter than most toilets, barely
reached above the level of the bowl (not counting the seat, of
course), and it was shaped like a Milk-bone dog biscuit, so I guess it
made up for the lack of height by a bigger cross section.

I don't know if they still sell these or not.

A friend has one, not the new lo-volume kind, in her one-man office at
work, and its just as quiet. I told her if they were remodelling, I'd
buy it, but I know her boss, her uncle, and he's not remodeling
anything unless it's broken. (And I live alone so it's not like
anyone is waking anyone up with a noisy toilet. Although the refilling
annoyed me, so I turned the valve behind the toilet down so that the
water enters at a very low rate and doesn't make any noise.)

And i've had real good luck with
the american standard 'wellworth' model of toilets. If you want extra
water down the hatch (which our 6 have never needed) you just hold the
handle down.

Really! That works on all of them or you're just vouching for
wellworth?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I've never heard of a "noisy" toilet.

Yean, but there were certainlly quiet toilets. More quiet than 95+% of
the others. *The one we had until we moved when I was ten was so quiet
during flushing. *My father must have paid extra for it. *The tank was
very short, at least 10 or 12 inches shorter than most toilets, barely
reached above the level of the bowl (not counting the seat, of
course), and it was shaped like a Milk-bone dog biscuit, so I guess it
made up for the lack of height by a bigger cross section.

I don't know if they still sell these or not. *

Sounds kind of like a Rialto. Was it this one?
http://www.kitchen-bath-plus.com/images/K3386.jpeg

The Toto (any of them) flushes better, but it doesn't have as large of
a 'pond'.

Posted to alt.home.repair

How do the new commodes sold today work? We are looking to save water,
even
though just two adults live in the house.

Kohler Wellworth available at Lowes works well. We have put 3 in this house
built in 2004 and had 3 in our previous home. We got the "Comfort height"
models, 1.5" taller at the seat...easier on the old knees

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

wrote:

I've never heard of a "noisy" toilet.

Yean, but there were certainlly quiet toilets. More quiet than 95+% of
the others. *The one we had until we moved when I was ten was so quiet
during flushing. *My father must have paid extra for it. *The tank was
very short, at least 10 or 12 inches shorter than most toilets, barely
reached above the level of the bowl (not counting the seat, of
course), and it was shaped like a Milk-bone dog biscuit, so I guess it
made up for the lack of height by a bigger cross section.

I don't know if they still sell these or not. *

Sounds kind of like a Rialto. Was it this one?
http://www.kitchen-bath-plus.com/images/K3386.jpeg

It has a short tank but as short as it is, not nearly as short as the
one we had when I was little or the one my friend has at work.

I think hers is about 25 years old. (Mine would be 64 now. It has a
ceramic S-shaped (on its side) handle. )

I'm not at all sure having a short tank guarantees quietness. But the
two I've used were both very quiet. You could barely hear them flush
even if you were standing right there.

The Toto (any of them) flushes better, but it doesn't have as large of
a 'pond'.

??

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 17, 11:12*pm, mm wrote:
On Sun, 17 May 2009 19:13:11 -0700 (PDT), RicodJour

The Toto (any of them) flushes better, but it doesn't have as large of
a 'pond'.

*??

Water area.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 17, 1:41*pm, Steve Barker wrote:
trailer wrote:
[...]

You should hear the pressure-assisted toilet I installed a few years
back. Enough to awaken even the soundest sleeper a couple of rooms
away.

As for the "Wellworth" toilets - Kohler has made the Wellworth toilet
for some time. Are you plugging that model by Kohler, or some other
model by American Standard?

JK
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

trailer wrote:
[...]

I had one like that in a motel once. Like someone said, I thought a
rocket had launched.

I took the cover off the tank, and then I tried to reach Jack Bauer to
disarm the bomb inside.

Well it filled the tank and didn't look anything like any toilet I
knew, but I was able to fall asleep in the bed anyhow.

As for the "Wellworth" toilets - Kohler has made the Wellworth toilet
for some time. Are you plugging that model by Kohler, or some other
model by American Standard?

JK

Posted to alt.home.repair
JP JP is offline

On May 17, 10:05*am, "trailer" wrote:
We're thinking about replacing one of our 1970's era commodes in one of our
bathrooms. *We have 3 commodes in the house and will probably replace all of
them eventually. *Each commode is of the older (6 gallon?) flush type.

Years ago I was told to hang on to the older commodes because the newer ones
didn't flush well and were prone to a lot of noise.

How do the new commodes sold today work? *We are looking to save water, even
though just two adults live in the house.

Also, are the newer commodes quite? *I don't think I would accept a commode
that made a lot of flush noise.

Any advice or recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks

American Standard has a Cadet line with 4" trap
I have one it works very well & they don't plug up.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"trailer" wrote

yep-should have been 'quiet'. sorry.

Hehe it's ok, obvious typo.

someone brought up the footprint issue. do some of the newer toilets have
the same footprints as the older ones? Also wonder about the toilet hold
down screws lining up same as old toilet.

That was me. Sometimes you can match, sometimes not. The toilet scres
though will normaly match.

my current toilets are American Standard, vintage 1970-1973. I guess the
gallons are 3.2/flush.

Good chance same brand will have something of same footprint. It will save
you hassles with the floor covering if you can match it up. Larger also
works if you cant match right on spot for it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

on 5/17/2009 1:05 PM (ET) trailer wrote the following:
We're thinking about replacing one of our 1970's era commodes in one of our
bathrooms. We have 3 commodes in the house and will probably replace all of
them eventually. Each commode is of the older (6 gallon?) flush type.

Years ago I was told to hang on to the older commodes because the newer ones
didn't flush well and were prone to a lot of noise.

How do the new commodes sold today work? We are looking to save water, even
though just two adults live in the house.

Also, are the newer commodes quite? I don't think I would accept a commode
that made a lot of flush noise.

Any advice or recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks

I just saw an ad for a new toilet that has a two flush feature. A small
flush for #1 and large flush for #2. I don't remember how that worked,
or the brand name since my 24 year old American Standards are still
working and I wasn't in the market.
Here's a novel way to get rid of your old toilets (with pics).
http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums...ad.php?t=97005

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 19 May 2009 10:30:54 -0400, willshak
wrote:

I just saw an ad for a new toilet that has a two flush feature. A small
flush for #1 and large flush for #2. I don't remember how that worked,
or the brand name since my 24 year old American Standards are still
working and I wasn't in the market.

Two-handle toilets are all over Israel for the last 25 years at least.
They have a bigger handle right behind for big flushes and a smaller
handle in front for small flushes on the same axis (where in the US
there would be just one handle) like the fine tuning and tuning knobs
on tvs that had mechanical tv tuners.

Israel and to some extent Jordan depend on the Jordan River for fresh
water, and there isn't enough, so they make every effort to conserve
water.

For example, I believe Israel invented drip irrigation and later they
invented computerized drip irrigation. Also, somewhat-processed
sewage water from Tel Aviv and towns south of there is sent to
agricultural areas further south (and north?) for irrigation.

Plus they are making major efforts on desalinization but I don't think
that will work in your bathroom.

In a rural park, miles from a city, they had a totally waterless
urinal. It had a webpage listed on the label and I went there but I
don't think I understood how it worked. I searched just now but I
don't think I found it. It was a real china urinal, not some kind of
porta-potty that had to be emptied.

Bill

Posted to alt.home.repair
Han Han is offline

wrote in
:

wrote:

[...]

There weer 2-button toilets all over Europe as well, especially Holland
(somewhat richer in water than the Negev - grin).

On the Maine Turnpike just north of Portsmouth, almost all the urinals in
the Welcome to Maine rest area are waterless.

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to alt.home.repair

Han wrote:
-snip-
On the Maine Turnpike just north of Portsmouth, almost all the urinals in
the Welcome to Maine rest area are waterless.

Own your own for $333 from Samsclub-
http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/nav...4&ci_sku=13472
[or $679 for SS]

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair
Han Han is offline

Jim Elbrecht wrote in
:

Han wrote:
-snip-
On the Maine Turnpike just north of Portsmouth, almost all the urinals
in the Welcome to Maine rest area are waterless.

Own your own for $333 from Samsclub-
http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/nav...327341&pid=_Fr
oogle&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=13472 [or $679 for SS]

Jim

Thanks for the link, and I hope someone can use it. However, for a
household with just 1 male, it doesn't seem cost-efficient, except for the
novelty factor.

--
Best regards
Han

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 23 May 2009 17:48:33 GMT, Han wrote:

Jim Elbrecht wrote in
:

Han wrote:
-snip-
On the Maine Turnpike just north of Portsmouth, almost all the urinals
in the Welcome to Maine rest area are waterless.

Own your own for $333 from Samsclub-
http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/nav...327341&pid=_Fr
oogle&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=13472 [or $679 for SS]

Jim

Thanks for the link, and I hope someone can use it. However, for a
household with just 1 male, it doesn't seem cost-efficient, except for the
novelty factor.

Cost efficient? If a home was about cost efficiency we'd all be
living in trailers. I'm guessing that could be just the little
touch to sell a mcmansion in a slow market.

Look how much effort you'd save in your lifetime if you never had to
flush pee. A few calories saved a day. . . . less oxygen depleted
from the atmosphere. . . . oh, and then there's that water saving
thing.

Jim