Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Amer Std commode bowl doesn't fill

This is a Cadet model which, for those not familiar, will empty the bowl of
something like 26 golf balls. It has been in use for two years and
yesterday the tank fill valve stopped allowing any water into the tank so I
replaced it with a generic model from Blue Box. Now the toilet flushes just
fine but there is only enough water allowed back into the bowl to cover the
area immediately around the siphon hole. I tried different settings on the
valve but at the highest setting it is still shy of filling the tanik by
1/2", I don't know if that 1/2" is even relevant to the bowl level. Any
ideas on the problem and the correction would be appreciated.
TIA,
Chuck

Posted to alt.home.repair

"C & E" wrote in message
This is a Cadet model which, for those not familiar, will empty the bowl
of something like 26 golf balls. It has been in use for two years and
yesterday the tank fill valve stopped allowing any water into the tank so
I replaced it with a generic model from Blue Box. Now the toilet flushes
just fine but there is only enough water allowed back into the bowl to
cover the area immediately around the siphon hole. I tried different
settings on the valve but at the highest setting it is still shy of
filling the tanik by 1/2", I don't know if that 1/2" is even relevant to
the bowl level. Any ideas on the problem and the correction would be
appreciated.
TIA,
Chuck

If it's a Fluidmaster read the installation instructions. There is an
adjustment for the height of the Fluidmaster for shorter tanks and longer
tanks. Yours might be set on the shorter tank therefore not allowing the
tank to fill more. Look towards the bottom. There's a collar that you loosen
and then twist the base while holding the top.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 12 Feb 2009 17:29:46 -0500, Bubba
wrote:

On Thu, 12 Feb 2009 17:18:23 -0500, "Sanity" wrote:

"C & E" wrote in message
[...]

I would rather hold the base securely and twist the top. Makes for
less leaks.
Bubba

Reach into the tank, slip the collar up. It just slides up and allows
the adjustment of turning the valve...iirc (Fluidmaster)

Instructions state to make this adjustment before the install.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"C & E" wrote in message
This is a Cadet model which, for those not familiar, will empty the bowl
of something like 26 golf balls. It has been in use for two years and
yesterday the tank fill valve stopped allowing any water into the tank so
I replaced it with a generic model from Blue Box. Now the toilet flushes
just fine but there is only enough water allowed back into the bowl to
cover the area immediately around the siphon hole. I tried different
settings on the valve but at the highest setting it is still shy of
filling the tanik by 1/2", I don't know if that 1/2" is even relevant to
the bowl level. Any ideas on the problem and the correction would be
appreciated.
TIA,
Chuck

Thanks, folks. That was it. Some ignoramus thought that he knew how to
install a simple valve. The trash went out the next morning - get it? Yea,
no instructions but you guys done good!