Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Grounding an Antenna Mast

Last year I put up a TV antenna mast. I didn't want to screw it to the
roof, so I ran three 10 foot lengths of 1 1/4 EMT conduit up the side of
the house, and bracketed it to the side of the house. I buried the
bottom about 10 inches in the soil. That got the top of that mast about
8 foot above the roof. Which is where the antenna sits. (I had a machine
shop make me some sturdy splicers to connect the EMT conduit sections
together, because those connectors sold for EMT are too weak for my
use). There are also a few guy wires to secure this mase in case of
wind. Those are connected to the side of the house.

Anyhow, I never really grounded this mast, and think I should. That 10"
buried into the soil is not really a suitable ground. One of the ground
rods for my house's electrical system is only about 8 feet from the
mast, so I can run a wire to that. My problem is how to connect that
wire to the conduit. The commercial ground rod clamps are not big enough
to go around that conduit. I thought about clamping it with a stainless
steel hose clamp, but that's not the best connection. A muffler clamp os
my other thought, but the way they rust, I'd almost think a S.S. hose
clamp would be the better if the two. I suppose I could also drill a
hole in the conduit and put a bolt thru is, but I'd prefer to not weaken
the conduit with a hole.

Maybe some of you will have a better idea about what to use to clamp it.
I'll probably use #8 or #10 bare copper wire for this, or insulated,
depending on what I have laying around.

Ideally, I think a Stainless Steel muffler type clamp would be best, if
I could find such a thing.