Randy Given

Default Grounding Wireless Mast

I saw the thread about grounding a mast, but I am wondering about a wireless
setup. If I put a weatherstation mast on my roof and it transmits wirelessly
(i.e., no cables running into the house), do I still need to ground it? If
so, just a typical cable-to-ground setup (from Radio Shack et al)? Thanks!

Randy Given

Jerry G.

I was curious to know if the sensors and transmitter on the wireless weather
mast work from solar power, or some other independent means, since you said
that it is wireless.

ANY kind of structure that is on the roof of a house, especially if it is
metallic in any way, must have a properly installed lightning arrester
system installed along with it. If not, there is a chance of a fatality.

A very simplified description for the necessity of a lightning arrester:
http://disaster.ifas.ufl.edu/PDFS/CHAP08/D08-05.PDF

Proper protection from lightning should be installed by a professional who
is knowleable in the type of requirements that are safe, and effective.

--

Jerry G.
=====

"Randy Given" wrote in message
I saw the thread about grounding a mast, but I am wondering about a wireless
setup. If I put a weatherstation mast on my roof and it transmits wirelessly
(i.e., no cables running into the house), do I still need to ground it? If
so, just a typical cable-to-ground setup (from Radio Shack et al)? Thanks!

Randy Given

Here is the situation you currently have. A lightning rod on the roof
that will have the charge jump to the nearest available nearest metal
grounded structure to that rod. Typically this will be some kind of
house wiring in the attic beneath the ungrounded mast that is on your
roof.

So you will have a potential attic fire, as well as unknown electrical
damage to your house wiring and everything plugged into your wiring.

It is strongly recommended you have someone who knows both the codes in
your area and the actual grounding requirements for something like that
on the roof at least provide you with a detailed estimate of exactly
what is required.

FYI I use multiple quality grounding points on my outdoor potential
lightning attacting antennas/equipment. For example my tv antenna mast
is grounded through 4 guage wire to a 16 foot grounding rod that is
more than 4 feet away from the house. The cable has its own ground
wire which is attached both to the mast ground rod and the ground rod
for the ac power line that goes into the house, two 12 guage wires for
each. Never had any damage to inside equipment even after clear
strikes to the mast. Did have some of the cable melt outside and lost
the mast mounted amplifier.

Randy Given

I was curious to know if the sensors and transmitter on the wireless
weather
mast work from solar power, or some other independent means, since you
said
that it is wireless.

It is powered by solar cell and battery backup.

Randy Given

It is strongly recommended you have someone who knows both the codes in
your area and the actual grounding requirements for something like that
on the roof at least provide you with a detailed estimate of exactly
what is required.

What would I look for in the Yellow Pages? Any idea how much it would cost?

No Ground in Circuit panel. Elmar Woodworking 32 November 6th 04 10:17 PM
Old electrical wiring to outbuildings Nate Baxley Home Repair 11 July 19th 04 07:53 PM
Doulble Receptacle Grounding Question/ Switch Grounding Michael Roback Home Repair 1 September 7th 03 07:37 AM
Grounding Rod *and* Rebar for service grounds? Vinnie Murdico Home Repair 3 June 27th 03 04:13 PM