Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How to get expanding foam off tile??

Parallel to the "How to get expanding foam off my hands" thread, how
about tile? I used some Great Stuff a few years ago to fill the void
between the bottom of a baseboard and the tile in a bathroom. Some of
it got on the tile, and even though I wiped it off, it left a yellow
stain. It's well-cured now, of course. Is there any magic chemical
solvent that might get that off? It could be something you wouldn't
want to get on your skin, if need be.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 02 Nov 2015 15:19:05 -0500, Nil
wrote:

Parallel to the "How to get expanding foam off my hands" thread, how
about tile? I used some Great Stuff a few years ago to fill the void
between the bottom of a baseboard and the tile in a bathroom. Some of
it got on the tile, and even though I wiped it off, it left a yellow
stain. It's well-cured now, of course. Is there any magic chemical
solvent that might get that off? It could be something you wouldn't
want to get on your skin, if need be.

Single edge razor blade scraper... from HD or Lowes

http://direct2trade.co.nz/stanley-razor-blade-scraper-28-500

"Removes paint, glue, putty or adhesives from glass, tile,
walls, floors or other smooth surfaces.

Be very, very cautious on glass windows, though.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/2/2015 3:19 PM, Nil wrote:
Parallel to the "How to get expanding foam off my hands" thread, how
about tile? I used some Great Stuff a few years ago to fill the void
between the bottom of a baseboard and the tile in a bathroom. Some of
it got on the tile, and even though I wiped it off, it left a yellow
stain. It's well-cured now, of course. Is there any magic chemical
solvent that might get that off? It could be something you wouldn't
want to get on your skin, if need be.

I just recommended trying vinegar for cleaning hands but you might use
diluted muriatic (hydrochloric) acid.

Years ago I etched my basement floor with dilute muriatic acid and after
a while the sponge disintegrated.

It can take awhile to hydrolyze the polymer so you can wash it off.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Parallel to the "How to get expanding foam off my hands" thread, how
about tile? I used some Great Stuff a few years ago to fill the void
between the bottom of a baseboard and the tile in a bathroom. Some of
it got on the tile, and even though I wiped it off, it left a yellow
stain. It's well-cured now, of course. Is there any magic chemical
solvent that might get that off? It could be something you wouldn't
want to get on your skin, if need be.

A razor blade if it is a glazed tile, good luck if it is not. Might
try a bit of MEK, but I have my doubts.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 2 Nov 2015 15:57:55 -0500, Frank "frank wrote:

On 11/2/2015 3:19 PM, Nil wrote:
Parallel to the "How to get expanding foam off my hands" thread, how
about tile? I used some Great Stuff a few years ago to fill the void
between the bottom of a baseboard and the tile in a bathroom. Some of
it got on the tile, and even though I wiped it off, it left a yellow
stain. It's well-cured now, of course. Is there any magic chemical
solvent that might get that off? It could be something you wouldn't
want to get on your skin, if need be.

I just recommended trying vinegar for cleaning hands but you might use
diluted muriatic (hydrochloric) acid.

Years ago I etched my basement floor with dilute muriatic acid and after
a while the sponge disintegrated.

It can take awhile to hydrolyze the polymer so you can wash it off.

Sulfamic acid granules, tile and grout cleaner is a mild form of HCI
acid when diluted well with water. Follow the instruction on mixing.

Not a chemist but I have used it before. With good results.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Parallel to the "How to get expanding foam off my hands" thread, how
about tile? I used some Great Stuff a few years ago to fill the void
between the bottom of a baseboard and the tile in a bathroom. Some of
it got on the tile, and even though I wiped it off, it left a yellow
stain. It's well-cured now, of course. Is there any magic chemical
solvent that might get that off? It could be something you wouldn't
want to get on your skin, if need be.

Assuming it's a smooth tile surface, just use a razor blade. Same way
you clean paint off glass. No harmful chemicals needed!

If the tile is rough, you can still use a rezor blade but it will be a
lot more work.

Next time you want to seal something like this, use clear silicone
instead. Expanding foam is NOT for finish work. A local business used it
to seal some gaps in their siding. They didn't even trim off the excess,
and it's really ugly.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Sulfamic acid granules, tile and grout cleaner is a mild form of
HCI acid when diluted well with water. Follow the instruction on
mixing.

Not a chemist but I have used it before. With good results.

That sounds like a possibility. I'll check it out.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Sulfamic acid granules, tile and grout cleaner is a mild form of
HCI acid when diluted well with water. Follow the instruction on
mixing.

Not a chemist but I have used it before. With good results.

That sounds like a possibility. I'll check it out.

The stuff I used a decade ago was granules you mixed with water
(instructions). Made by "Tile Labs" (Sulfamic acid - mild acid). I
see now they have a spray bottle container that is non-acidic, so I
cannot comment on that product. Check the MSDS on it.

Lighter fluid (NAPHTHA) removes labels, tar, grease and oil. Maybe
that will work, in conjunction with a single edge razor blade scraper.
YMMV

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Sulfamic acid granules, tile and grout cleaner is a mild form of
HCI acid when diluted well with water. Follow the instruction on
mixing.

Not a chemist but I have used it before. With good results.

That sounds like a possibility. I'll check it out.

Might want to check on that. Sulf and chlor are not
the same chemical.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, November 2, 2015 at 2:19:11 PM UTC-6, Nil wrote:
Parallel to the "How to get expanding foam off my hands" thread, how
about tile? I used some Great Stuff a few years ago to fill the void
between the bottom of a baseboard and the tile in a bathroom. Some of
it got on the tile, and even though I wiped it off, it left a yellow
stain. It's well-cured now, of course. Is there any magic chemical
solvent that might get that off? It could be something you wouldn't
want to get on your skin, if need be.

Wouldn't a wire brush or wire wheel in an electric drill run at low speed also work???

expanding foam gun tip GMM[_4_] UK diy 1 February 9th 15 10:08 PM
expanding foam Fred UK diy 6 August 8th 10 08:42 PM
Expanding foam behind CU Jon[_3_] UK diy 12 September 19th 08 12:08 AM
expanding foam HELP Peter UK diy 11 June 24th 07 08:14 PM
Expanding foam and UV Pecanfan UK diy 12 January 19th 05 10:21 PM