Posted to alt.home.repair

Default FYI - Toilet Flange Too High For Waxless Seal

I had to change the wax seal on a toilet this weekend. I decided to try
one of those Sani-Flush waxless seals.

http://saniseal.com/

When I put it in place I found that the toilet was up way higher than I
thought it should be. I weigh about 160 lbs and there was no way I could
compress the seal down enough to get the toilet to the floor. The
instructions say that you can draw the toilet down via the johnny bolts,
tightening from side to side, but if 160 lbs wasn't enough to get within
1/2" of the floor, I wasn't going to chance it.

I measured the flange and the top is about 9/16" above the tile. With a
wax ring I can wiggle and press and get the toilet down to the floor with
just my weight, then tighten it down.

There is nothing in the instructions or on-line videos that specifically
discuss flanges that are higher then the floor, but all of the photos and
videos appear to show flanges that are flush or below the top of the
floor.

I can see the advantage of the waxless seal, but they won't work in all
situations.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, November 2, 2015 at 9:06:00 AM UTC-6, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

You could use a Fernco! http://www.fernco.com/plumbing/wax-free-toilet-seal
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, November 2, 2015 at 10:53:34 AM UTC-5, bob_villain wrote:
[...]

It looks like it might work, but the text says:

- Accommodates floors raised above the toilet flange by up to 3/4" -

However, the pictures show the flange resting on top of the floor. I'll
have to give them a call to be sure it will work with a flange as "tall"
as the one I dealt with this weekend.

If they say it will work, I may redo the toilet I did this weekend and
not have to worry about it anymore. My concern is that the tall flange
causes the wax to compress so much that too much gets displaced. It was
pretty spread out when I pulled the toilet.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 2 Nov 2015 09:03:08 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

You could use a Fernco! http://www.fernco.com/plumbing/wax-free-toilet-seal

It looks like it might work, but the text says:

- Accommodates floors raised above the toilet flange by up to 3/4" -

However, the pictures show the flange resting on top of the floor. I'll
have to give them a call to be sure it will work with a flange as "tall"
as the one I dealt with this weekend.

If they say it will work, I may redo the toilet I did this weekend and
not have to worry about it anymore. My concern is that the tall flange
causes the wax to compress so much that too much gets displaced. It was
pretty spread out when I pulled the toilet.

I tried the Fluidmaster brand years ago. It was to long, with no luck.
It would not drop down into the pipe far enough (shallow sweep?).

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Fluidmaster-Wax-Free-Toilet-Bowl-Gasket-7500P5/100139961

https://tinyurl.com/p44go4c

I plan to try the Fercon next time.