Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Toilet Flange too high!

My house is 25 years old. When they built it, the builder put in toilets
that had an unusually deep recess for the wax ring and flange. All the
flanges in my house (5 toilets) stick out about 1/2" above the floor level.

Therefore, my replacement toilet (the old one was cracked), floats about
1/2" above the floor level, after allowing for the wax ring

The steel flange seems to be cemented to the plastic drain pipe. It would
cost a fortune to break
up the slab and the tile flooring, in order put in a new, lower flange.

The local plumber wants to insert a 1/2" plywood spacer between the floor
and the base of the toilet. That would look rather poorly and might cause
dry rot.

Do they make toilets that have a deeper recess, to allow for an abnormally
high flange?

Are there any other alternatives?
--
Walter
www.rationality.net

Posted to alt.home.repair

Walter R. wrote:
My house is 25 years old. When they built it, the builder put in toilets
that had an unusually deep recess for the wax ring and flange. All the
flanges in my house (5 toilets) stick out about 1/2" above the floor level.

Therefore, my replacement toilet (the old one was cracked), floats about
1/2" above the floor level, after allowing for the wax ring

The steel flange seems to be cemented to the plastic drain pipe. It would
cost a fortune to break
up the slab and the tile flooring, in order put in a new, lower flange.

The local plumber wants to insert a 1/2" plywood spacer between the floor
and the base of the toilet. That would look rather poorly and might cause
dry rot.

Do they make toilets that have a deeper recess, to allow for an abnormally
high flange?

Are there any other alternatives?

If you asked me to fix it, I'd go with a pressure treated wood spacer
sabre sawed out with an outline about 5/16" shy of the new toilet's base
profile, use longer hold down bolts if needed, and then fill the gap
with smoothed in tile grout, colored as you wish.

Chances are you'll be the only one who'll ever notice it's done that way.

Just my .02,

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Walter R." wrote in message
[...]

How about using plastic shims (made for toilets) to keep stool from rocking.
Then surround the toilet with tile quarter rounds like you might use along
the baseboard. Could match color of stool or tile, whatever. Might,
however, consider siliconing them in place in the event you have to remove
the toilet to replace the wax ring in the future.

Tom.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Tom G" wrote in message

How about using plastic shims (made for toilets) to keep stool from
rocking. Then surround the toilet with tile quarter rounds like you might
use along the baseboard.

Plastic would be good. How about a cutting board like material? It will
take the weight and not rot or corrode.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Walter R. wrote:

My house is 25 years old. When they built it, the builder put in toilets
that had an unusually deep recess for the wax ring and flange. All the
flanges in my house (5 toilets) stick out about 1/2" above the floor level.

Therefore, my replacement toilet (the old one was cracked), floats about
1/2" above the floor level, after allowing for the wax ring

The steel flange seems to be cemented to the plastic drain pipe. It would
cost a fortune to break
up the slab and the tile flooring, in order put in a new, lower flange.

The local plumber wants to insert a 1/2" plywood spacer between the floor
and the base of the toilet. That would look rather poorly and might cause
dry rot.

Do they make toilets that have a deeper recess, to allow for an abnormally
high flange?

Are there any other alternatives?

If you will ultimately be unhappy with a shimmed toilet,
lower the flange. Since the stub is plastic, use an
internal pipe cutter, like this or others:
http://www.nextag.com/WHEELER-REX-Ho...B2t5wz5---html
to remove the flange .
There are numerous ways to make a new flange connection
afterward that don't involve slab demolition.

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jeff Wisnia" wrote in message
Walter R. wrote:
[...]

I'd make the spacer out of solid-surface counter material. Make a template
showing needed outside shape, placement of center hole, any needed notches
for the hold down bolts, and take it over to local custom countertop place.
They can probably make it from a sink cutout. They have the routers and such
to make it pretty, versus cutting out at home with a jigsaw.

aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

I had this problem. I had a marble slab under my bowl to compensate for the height. Since I ripped
up my entire floor to put a new one in, it was simple. But my friend told me they sell a flange that
will go into your old one. You need to cut the pvc pipe under the flange. Then, you replace it with
a new one, that I believe slides into the one that goes under the floor and you have to glue it up.
Look into that. If you can get under the floor and have access to the pvc pipe, you can cut it buy
a coupler and put it back together.

Tony

Walter R. wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
SMS SMS is offline

Walter R. wrote:
My house is 25 years old. When they built it, the builder put in toilets
that had an unusually deep recess for the wax ring and flange. All the
flanges in my house (5 toilets) stick out about 1/2" above the floor level.

Therefore, my replacement toilet (the old one was cracked), floats about
1/2" above the floor level, after allowing for the wax ring

The steel flange seems to be cemented to the plastic drain pipe. It would
cost a fortune to break
up the slab and the tile flooring, in order put in a new, lower flange.

Probably would not cost a fortune. You can cut off the flange from the
inside of the pipe with an internal cutter, and attach a new flange. I'd
be worried that the new flange might be too low, depending on how close
you can cut the old flange off.

Other than that, use a piece of 1/2" plywood, sealed with water seal,
cut a tad smaller than the outline of the toilet base, then sealed with
colored caulking the same color as the toilet, so the plywood doesn't
get wet when you wash the floor. No one would notice this if they didn't
know to look.

You could also use this product,
"http://www.quickfixplumbingproducts.com/prod03.htm", but in my opinion
this looks worse than going the plywood and caulking route. I once tried
to buy something from this company, but I could never find any way to
buy their products. They don't sell directly, and I could never find any
plumbing supply place that could get the products.

Yet another toilet flange question Brian V Home Repair 8 March 24th 07 07:16 PM
Toilet flange question jstchilln Home Repair 8 February 3rd 07 10:42 PM
toilet flange Tony Pacc Home Repair 2 December 30th 06 04:46 PM
plumbing toilet flange [email protected] Home Repair 1 April 21st 06 06:37 PM
toilet flange too high? Tish Home Repair 3 October 3rd 04 02:22 PM