Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Ping, My Fellow Computer Geeks

This is something that could possibly come up with a home network so I consider it to be on topic since I am in a home. I'm away from my home and don't have access to all my network toys and a crate full of WiFi routers and AP's. Here at the center there is a good fast WiFi network with AP's located around the building. I've been able to hit the AP's on 2.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz. A network to my Chromebook on WiFi can get interesting when I'm using Bluetooth devices. The Bluetooth devices interfere with the 2.4 Ghz signal and the Chromebook switches to 5 Ghz to hit the AP's. Sometimes the 5 Ghz signal isn't strong enough for network access so what I want to do is put together an extender that does NAT because a single password to access the network will only work for one device at a time. If I want to use my tablet, I have to turn off the radio in the Chromebook and vise versa for the tablet. I may obtain a smartphone at some time and I want to use the ability to connect to the WiFi network because of the cell signal dead spot here at the center. The WiFi is divided into different user groups for residents, visitors, staff and administration. The administrator gave me a password for my tablet that's for the visitor group because the passwords for resident group had all been taken. Things were working fine until the signal for the visitor group went away. It's not strong enough for me to access the visitor group. In the past, I've used WiFi routers to do all sorts of things like a normal router where a number of devices can access the network with one password. As a partitioned router to keep visitors out of setup and home network. As a bridge to hook one network to the other and as an extender. I don't have any of my gear with me or really know where it is at home so I'm trying to figure out how to use a WiFi router to hookup with the center's AP at 2..4 Ghz with the single password that I have and do NAT so I can use two or three devices from the WiFi router. I'm think I could plug 4 devices into the Ethernet ports on the router and access the network but I want hookup with WiFi for 2 or 3 wireless devices. I'm not sure if a residential router could work as an extender with NAT but I've seen a dedicated 5 Ghz AP that connects to a residential 2.4 Ghz router to extend the network at a higher 5 Ghz band. Is there anyone out there who has done something like what I want to do. I'm thinking I can use a residential WiFi router as a bridge with NAT and connect it to the 5 Ghz AP so I can hookup several devices to the network using the single password in the residential router to connect to the center's AP. Any ideas? I'm away from home and all my toys so I can't experiment. o_O

[8~{} Uncle WiFi Monster