Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Trash collection

For years I've been washing and saving commercial aluminum pie crust
plates. I use them for chicken pot pies. Then there's the pile of 8 1/2 x
11" legal pad cardboard backing.

There must be a good use for these or, obviously, I'd not be collecting
them. But what?

You don't suppose I'm just a pack rat, do you?

Posted to alt.home.repair

KenK wrote:

For years I've been washing and saving commercial aluminum pie crust
plates. I use them for chicken pot pies. Then there's the pile of 8 1/2 x
11" legal pad cardboard backing.

There must be a good use for these or, obviously, I'd not be collecting
them. But what?

next time you need to do something in a garden
you can use them as a layer underneath weed barrier
fabric to help smother the grass/weeds. worms will
digest about any form of paper eventually (as the
pill bugs and other soil critters help break it
down too) and it becomes plant food.

You don't suppose I'm just a pack rat, do you?

no comment... i still have a few boxes of
papers from college that i should put through the
worm farm, at least then they'd be useful and i
could have a few cubic feet of space back, but
as they are on the lower shelf or stuffed in the
bottom of a closet i'm apparently not interested
in making worm food out of them quite yet. it
will be a good winter project. maybe...

songbird
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9 Oct 2015 16:33:44 GMT, KenK wrote:

For years I've been washing and saving commercial aluminum pie crust
plates. I use them for chicken pot pies. Then there's the pile of 8 1/2 x
11" legal pad cardboard backing.

There must be a good use for these or, obviously, I'd not be collecting
them. But what?

You don't suppose I'm just a pack rat, do you?

Yes, no, maybe

The pie plates make a good item for seed germination. A little soil
with peralite added. Say for herbs, tomatoes, etc.

Cut the cardboard for shims on drywall or burn them as fire tender.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, October 9, 2015 at 12:33:49 PM UTC-4, KenK wrote:
For years I've been washing and saving commercial aluminum pie crust
plates. I use them for chicken pot pies. Then there's the pile of 8 1/2 x
11" legal pad cardboard backing.

There must be a good use for these or, obviously, I'd not be collecting
them. But what?

You don't suppose I'm just a pack rat, do you?

IDK, but the recycling folks don't want them. IDK why exactly, I'm
guessing that whatever alloy they are made of, they must not be
worth salvaging like alum cans are.
Posted to alt.home.repair

KenK wrote:
For years I've been washing and saving commercial aluminum pie crust
plates. I use them for chicken pot pies. Then there's the pile of 8
1/2 x 11" legal pad cardboard backing.

There must be a good use for these or, obviously, I'd not be
collecting them. But what?

The cardboard? Door hinge shims.

You don't suppose I'm just a pack rat, do you?

Not at all, just frugal. How big is your rubber band ball?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2015-10-09, dadiOH wrote:

How big is your rubber band ball?

LOL!.....

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2015-10-09, dadiOH wrote:

How big is your rubber band ball?

LOL!.....

Hooay. Dad caught me off guard on that one.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"dadiOH" wrote in :

KenK wrote:
For years I've been washing and saving commercial aluminum pie crust
plates. I use them for chicken pot pies. Then there's the pile of 8
1/2 x 11" legal pad cardboard backing.

There must be a good use for these or, obviously, I'd not be
collecting them. But what?

The cardboard? Door hinge shims.

You don't suppose I'm just a pack rat, do you?

Not at all, just frugal. How big is your rubber band ball?

I don't keep them in a ball. Just two plastic bags full.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/10/2015 9:00 AM, KenK wrote:
"dadiOH" wrote in :

KenK wrote:
For years I've been washing and saving commercial aluminum pie crust
plates. I use them for chicken pot pies. Then there's the pile of 8
1/2 x 11" legal pad cardboard backing.

There must be a good use for these or, obviously, I'd not be
collecting them. But what?

The cardboard? Door hinge shims.

You don't suppose I'm just a pack rat, do you?

Not at all, just frugal. How big is your rubber band ball?

I don't keep them in a ball. Just two plastic bags full.

They don't keep for very long. They rot.

My next door neighbor's daughter came into town to spend a month with
her elderly mom. She told me that when she was here last year, she
spent two weeks cleaning out the junk - rubber bands, newspapers,
margarine containers, coffee cans, plastic lids - her frugal mother
obsessively saves "just in case". She said when she came back this
year, it was like she'd never cleaned her mom's house at all. Her mom
thinks she's doing a good thing by saving this stuff, but all she's
doing is making more work for her kids (and cluttering up her basement
with bags and boxes of trash).

If you haven't found a use for it after a year, it's junk. Get rid of it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 12 Oct 2015 12:14:53 -0500, Moe DeLoughan
wrote:

My next door neighbor's daughter came into town to spend a month with
her elderly mom. She told me that when she was here last year, she
spent two weeks cleaning out the junk - rubber bands, newspapers,
margarine containers, coffee cans, plastic lids - her frugal mother
obsessively saves "just in case". She said when she came back this
year, it was like she'd never cleaned her mom's house at all. Her mom
thinks she's doing a good thing by saving this stuff, but all she's
doing is making more work for her kids (and cluttering up her basement
with bags and boxes of trash).

If you haven't found a use for it after a year, it's junk. Get rid of it.

People that lived during the great depression, often passed down
habits to the next generation. Generational habits are difficult to
break away from.

Hard for me to toss out a 2x4 that could be a use

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, October 9, 2015 at 11:33:49 AM UTC-5, KenK wrote:
For years I've been washing and saving commercial aluminum pie crust
plates. I use them for chicken pot pies. Then there's the pile of 8 1/2 x
11" legal pad cardboard backing.

There must be a good use for these or, obviously, I'd not be collecting
them. But what?

You don't suppose I'm just a pack rat, do you?

I used to keep "some" newspaper around. Remember when there was such a thing as newspapers? I limited the stack to a certain height and disposed of anything that surpassed the limit unless I knew I had a painting project coming up. I used the newspaper as a puppy pad for the dog to drop a load on, as packing material for a UPS shipment, something to put on a workbench when I was cleaning parts and to catch the peelings from whatever I was peeling plus eggshells which made cleanup a lot easier. I've kept some of the aluminum pie plates and other thin aluminum food pans to use when soaking and cleaning small parts in solvents that would damage a plastic container. I keep some of the thin cardboard backing from notepads around to put under things that I cut with a razor knife. One or more layers will protect the surface of a table or workbench. The thin cardboard is also good for making templates. I'm sure a ninja could use the items as weapons. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Ninja Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 12 Oct 2015 12:29:06 -0700 (PDT), Uncle Monster
wrote:

[...]

Find a woman that sews or makes quilts, etc. They always have a stash
of material taking space. Ask my bride. Now she is in a few sewing
clubs. With more "stuff".
Posted to alt.home.repair

Moe DeLoughan posted for all of us...

"dadiOH" wrote in :

KenK wrote:
[...]

Send her here.

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/12/2015 1:14 PM, Moe DeLoughan wrote:

My next door neighbor's daughter came into town to spend a month with
her elderly mom. She told me that when she was here last year, she spent
two weeks cleaning out the junk - rubber bands, newspapers, margarine
containers, coffee cans, plastic lids - her frugal mother obsessively
saves "just in case". She said when she came back this year, it was like
she'd never cleaned her mom's house at all. Her mom thinks she's doing a
good thing by saving this stuff, but all she's doing is making more work
for her kids (and cluttering up her basement with bags and boxes of trash).

If you haven't found a use for it after a year, it's junk. Get rid of it.

Mom probably won't ever again invite the meddlesome
daughter who threw out all her stuff with out asking.

If someone went in my house and started throwing out
my margarine tubs, I'd throw that person out the door
head first and tell that creep not to come back.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/12/2015 1:14 PM, Moe DeLoughan wrote:

If you haven't found a use for it after a year, it's junk. Get rid of it.

You need to save all that totally useful
stuff cause you'll need it later.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..

Posted to alt.home.repair

Almost any municipal recycling center will take aluminum!!!

The last women’s Zenith collection is the Starissme. There are eight different models within this collection to choose from, all being fairly similar to each other. The unique design on the dial has a star at the 12 o’clock spot, and then numbers one [email protected] Electronics Repair 0 April 25th 08 01:49 PM
The last women’s Zenith collection is the Starissme. There are eight different models within this collection to choose from, all being fairly similar to each other. The unique design on the dial has a star at the 12 o’clock spot, and then numbers one [email protected] UK diy 0 April 24th 08 07:10 PM
trash can? Nate Nagel Home Repair 8 August 27th 07 05:52 AM
ENOUGH with the OT trash Rick Soulsby Woodworking 7 January 13th 06 03:22 PM
Website / collection update - The Daniel Collection The Daniel Collection Woodturning 0 December 31st 05 09:45 PM