Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Rats walking power lines onto house

Welp. Just as soon as I thought I got rid of the little critters, I watched a couple of them climb a tree, jump on the power line and run onto the roof. If it were one or two trees, I'd try putting something around the trunks to keep them out, but would not work here.

So I'm wondering if there's something to throw over the power line that the wouldn't cross?

Or any other ideas?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney wrote:
Welp. Just as soon as I thought I got rid of the little critters, I watched a couple of them climb a tree, jump on the power line and run onto the roof. If it were one or two trees, I'd try putting something around the trunks to keep them out, but would not work here.

So I'm wondering if there's something to throw over the power line that the wouldn't cross?

Or any other ideas?

Yike! Rats? Here in Alberta we don't have rats, just mice.
Rat patrol spends millions to keep the province rat free.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, September 30, 2015 at 9:16:08 PM UTC-5, Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney wrote:
Welp. Just as soon as I thought I got rid of the little critters, I watched a couple of them climb a tree, jump on the power line and run onto the roof. If it were one or two trees, I'd try putting something around the trunks to keep them out, but would not work here.

So I'm wondering if there's something to throw over the power line that the wouldn't cross?

Or any other ideas?

There are cones and spinning tubes that attach over the wires. ^_^

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZmvct6xpXk

http://www.critterguard.org/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyDvhqQhc1Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soLh0bULGjQ

[8~{} Uncle Critter Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/30/2015 10:16 PM, Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney wrote:
Welp. Just as soon as I thought I got rid of the little critters, I watched a couple of them climb a tree, jump on the power line and run onto the roof. If it were one or two trees, I'd try putting something around the trunks to keep them out, but would not work here.

So I'm wondering if there's something to throw over the power line that the wouldn't cross?

Or any other ideas?

I'd call the power company. This must have
happened before to someone near you.

Working on power lines can be dangerous to
humans.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message ...
On 9/30/2015 10:16 PM, Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney wrote:
Welp. Just as soon as I thought I got rid of the little critters, I watched a couple of them climb a tree, jump on the power line and run onto the roof. If it were one or two trees, I'd try putting something around the trunks to keep them out, but would not work here.

So I'm wondering if there's something to throw over the power line that the wouldn't cross?

Or any other ideas?

I'd call the power company. This must have
happened before to someone near you.

Working on power lines can be dangerous to
humans.

-
.
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
. www.lds.org

I saw all kinds of gadget online but they are all selling their own stuff. I'm hoping that someone here may have found a solution for this.

Some I have seen are essentially 2 inch thin-wall plastic pipes that spin when animals try to cross them. My thought about that is I can see them sticking to the wire after being in the weather for some time.

I'm think more like the kind of wire spike strips used to keep birds from landing on safety rails might be a permanent fix. Or may a combination of the two - spikes on a plastic pipe.

Or maybe just a rap soaked in rat poison draped over the wire...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, October 1, 2015 at 9:47:19 AM UTC-4, Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney wrote:
[...]

I'm pretty sure you meant a "rag" not a rap, but I have an even better idea:

A *rat* soaked in rat poison draped over the wire. :-)

"Is this what you want, punk? Huh? You want some of this? Come on, keep
walking!"

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, September 30, 2015 at 10:16:08 PM UTC-4, Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney wrote:
Welp. Just as soon as I thought I got rid of the little critters, I watched a couple of them climb a tree, jump on the power line and run onto the roof. If it were one or two trees, I'd try putting something around the trunks to keep them out, but would not work here.

So I'm wondering if there's something to throw over the power line that the wouldn't cross?

Or any other ideas?

I feel your pain!

I've got raccoons coming into my garage through the cat door and
eating/spilling the cat food. I've been recording them with a security
camera to try to figure out how to dissuade them from this activity.

Blocking the cat door for about a week seemed to discourage them but it also
prevented my cat from using the garage at night. Once they stopped coming
around I unblocked the door, but now, after more than a week of no activity,
they are back.

I put the food up on a center-legged table that the cat can jump onto, but
last night one of the critters was just tall enough to knock the food onto
the floor. It took some effort, but the critter was persistent. The table
is adjustable so tonight I'm going to raise it up a notch so the critters
can't stand on their hind legs and support themselves with their front legs
like they did last night. It'll be interesting to see what they try next.
Maybe I'll see one raccoon standing on the back of another or one of them
giving the other an old fashioned "boost". ;-)

I may have to eliminate the cat's midnight snacks for a while.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
[...]

No wires or cables over hang in our neighborhood.
Every thing is underground.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 30 Sep 2015 19:16:02 -0700, "Snuffy \"Hub Cap\" McKinney"
wrote:

Or any other ideas?

Yes. Have the power company contractor trim the trees or you can cut
them down. Tree rats only jump so far!

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Or any other ideas?

Yes. Have the power company contractor trim the trees or you can cut
them down. Tree rats only jump so far!

The rats can climb the power pole and get on the wire. There are no
trees near any of our power lines but you still see a rat up there,
the bushy tailed ones and the slick tailed ones.,

The only way to keep them out of the house is to plug up all the
holes.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/1/2015 10:41 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

Board over the door, and shoot the cat?

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Or any other ideas?

Yes. Have the power company contractor trim the trees or you can cut
them down. Tree rats only jump so far!

The rats can climb the power pole and get on the wire. There are no
trees near any of our power lines but you still see a rat up there,
the bushy tailed ones and the slick tailed ones.,

The only way to keep them out of the house is to plug up all the
holes.

Excellent point. A few years ago, the local varmint inspector recommended plugging holes hard to patch up with copper scrubbing pads which won't rust. Said to push them up under the eaves in corners and any other places they are likely to try and get through even though there was no hole. These are great people to have come over - they have seen everything in the area and love to tell the stories if someone is interested.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Check this out. Disclaimers and warnings - not for power lines.

http://oi59.tinypic.com/dhfs0j.jpg

http://i59.tinypic.com/dhfs0j.gif

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, October 2, 2015 at 10:17:30 AM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:
[...]

Ain't shooting the cat.

I have a method to block the door, which is how I discouraged them in the
first place. They stayed away for about 2 weeks after I unblocked it, but
they are back.

The single leg table didn't work either. The first night one of them grabbed
the edge of the table and hoisted himself right up. If I get around to
putting it on youtube, I'll post the link back here. They came back later that night and because the food container was pulled closer to the edge
from the earlier meal, he was able to pull it down onto the floor.

Last night, I raised the table about 6" and also removed the runners along
the edge that the critter had used to hold onto while he hoisted himself up.

This morning the food container was on the floor again. I haven't watched
the DVD yet, so I'm really curious as to how he was able to reach it. They
could barely reach the top of the table the first night, so I'm really
curious as to how they reached it after I raised the table. I'll find out
tonight when I watch the DVD.