Posted to alt.home.repair

Default swimming pool - how often to add alum?

The guy who maintains my swimming pool adds alum weekly. It is really
necessary to add alum so often? Most of the time, the water is crystal
clear. It becomes cloudy after alum is added. Why adding alum to clear
water?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/16/2015 7:19 AM, John Smith wrote:
The guy who maintains my swimming pool adds alum weekly. It is really
necessary to add alum so often? Most of the time, the water is crystal
clear. It becomes cloudy after alum is added. Why adding alum to clear
water?

El firo el idioto.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, September 16, 2015 at 7:19:31 AM UTC-4, John Smith wrote:
The guy who maintains my swimming pool adds alum weekly. It is really
necessary to add alum so often? Most of the time, the water is crystal
clear. It becomes cloudy after alum is added. Why adding alum to clear
water?

I assume alum works as a floculant to bind tiny particles together which
clears cloudy water. Never had to use one on the pool here. But from
what I know about pools, they are typically added only if you have an
actual problem. Any history of the pool being cloudy frequently in
the past? But then there are all kind of theories out there
about how to best manage a pool. Who pays for the alum? If it's not
included in the service charge, paid for separately, I'd tell him to
stop unless there is an actual problem.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Alum - as in alumINUM????

Not in MY pool, no thanks!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 16 Sep 2015 06:56:42 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

Alum - as in alumINUM????

hydrated potassium aluminum sulfate

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, September 16, 2015 at 12:40:01 PM UTC-5, net cop wrote:
"Bob F" writes:

wrote:
Alum - as in alumINUM????

Not in MY pool, no thanks!

But it's in your baking soda.

Soda alum has the formula NaAl(SO4)2·12H2O. It is used in baking powder and as
an acidulent in food.

Alum is Aluminum Sulfate.

Big difference between metallic Aluminum and the various Aluminum
compounds. Not that I shun aluminum metal either.

One of the effects of Alum is to remove heavy metals from the pool
water. Certainly a good thing.

Alum is also used to treat drinking water. Use too much and
you get Hydrogen Sulfide (rotten egg gas).
The Hydrogen Sulfide is toxic, but:

Since hydrogen sulfide occurs naturally in the body, the environment
and the gut, enzymes exist in the body capable of detoxifying it by
oxidation to (harmless) sulfate. Hence, low levels of hydrogen
sulfide may be tolerated indefinitely.

I haven't used Alum to treat my pool, but reading how it works,
I don't see a problem.

But then, I'm not one of the new breed of humans running around
that seem to fear everything.

--
Dan Espen

A United Nations program affiliated with the climate change group did research showing that water is toxic. A group of convict volunteers were used in the tests. 10 gallons of water was pumped into each convict and they all died. So it's official, water is a toxic substance. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Water Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

John Smith wrote:
The guy who maintains my swimming pool adds alum weekly. It is really necessary
to add alum so often? Most of the time, the water is crystal clear. It becomes
cloudy after alum is added. Why adding alum to clear water?

If you have cloudy water, then you can use it to clean up the water on an as
needed basis. I don't think doing it weekly is necessary. After your
maintenance guy adds it to the water, does he come back in a couple of hours and
vacuum to "Waste"? More info he

http://www.lesliespool.com/leslies-a...m-enhancer.htm
Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob F: Let's stop Foxing around and set the record
straight: http://preventdisease.com/news/14/11...Aluminum.shtml

Baking powder is available both with or without aluminum.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 16 Sep 2015 13:39:57 -0400, Dan Espen
wrote in

I haven't used Alum to treat my pool, but reading how it works,
I don't see a problem.

But then, I'm not one of the new breed of humans running around
that seem to fear everything.

Not all "humans". Just a lot of Americans, Canadians and Europeans.
The rest of the world lives normally.

Swimming Pool Dottie Home Repair 4 August 6th 14 01:02 AM
Swimming pool [email protected] Home Repair 1 June 23rd 14 07:31 PM
Mothballing swimming pool Jim Home Repair 3 March 29th 10 01:12 PM
MUD IN Swimming pool [email protected] Home Repair 6 October 16th 06 01:31 AM
swimming pool [email protected] Home Ownership 0 July 3rd 06 08:55 PM