Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Jim is offline

Default Mothballing swimming pool

Hello, I have an ABOVE GROUND swim spa/lap pool that I wish to shutdown
and drain for about 3-4 months. (leaving contry) I ususally drain the pool
once a year to replace with clean water ( TDS issues) the same day so don't
have to worry about water going stagnet in the pumps/lines etc. Basically
this pool is a huge hot tub (2200 gallons).
In hot tubs they make a product called "swirl away" which is
used to clean the lines out when draining a hot tub... Is there a product
out there to preserve water from going stagnet in the lines of a large spa
so I don't get any icky sh*t flying out of the lines when I refill after 3-4
months?...Completly draining the pumps,lines etc is not an option here...
Anyone that owns a pool care to comment and has perhaps done this
before?....Thank you... Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On Sun, 28 Mar 2010 10:02:14 -0600, "Jim" nospam@wherever wrote:

Hello, I have an ABOVE GROUND swim spa/lap pool that I wish to shutdown
and drain for about 3-4 months. (leaving contry) I ususally drain the pool
once a year to replace with clean water ( TDS issues) the same day so don't
have to worry about water going stagnet in the pumps/lines etc. Basically
this pool is a huge hot tub (2200 gallons).
In hot tubs they make a product called "swirl away" which is
used to clean the lines out when draining a hot tub... Is there a product
out there to preserve water from going stagnet in the lines of a large spa
so I don't get any icky sh*t flying out of the lines when I refill after 3-4
months?...Completly draining the pumps,lines etc is not an option here...
Anyone that owns a pool care to comment and has perhaps done this
before?....Thank you... Jim

Why is clearing the lines not an option?

Agreed. If you don't have a compressor or whatever to blow everything
out yourself, bite the bullet and pay a pool company to come mothball it
for you. Above-ground pools don't store well. If you don't have a tight
cover, also probably want to make some arches of PVC pipe and rig a tarp
over it, so it doesn't refill with rain water and trash. Sucks to come
home and find the remains of a dead animal in there, that was seeking a
drink, but could not get back out.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 28, 1:57*pm, wrote:
On Sun, 28 Mar 2010 13:00:40 -0400, aemeijers

[...]

You can blow the lines out in most cases with the outlet side of a
shop vac.- Hide quoted text -

Or suck it out using the vacuum side too. You just have to
understand the goes intos and goes outas and do it in a logical order,
using the control valves and possibly stopper plugs to control the
flow. The stoppers are available in various sizes at pool supply
stores. Then you just take out the drain plugs from the pump,
filter, etc.