Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Prefab cisterns

Don Y wrote:

So, three conjoined spheres?

That's a good way of describing it. I've seen similar systems that are just
three chambered concrete or poly rectangular tanks though.

Ouch! Though it appears you have no other (sewer) alternatives. Do you also
recycle grey water (to keep the load down on the septic system)?

The system is rated for over 1000 gallons a day. We don't come anywhere close to
that - maybe 500 if we have guests and 200 without.

What sorts of problems is the inspection *intended* to catch? And, are
these *real* problems or just "possible" problems?

The system is actually quite complex. There are filters to keep the spider pipe
from getting blocked up, solenoid coltrolled valves that alternate the direction
of flow in the spider pipe, float switches, air compressor flow rates and such.
Inspections are annoying and expensive, but probably necessary.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/13/2015 7:25 AM, Arthur Conan Doyle wrote:
Don Y wrote:

So, three conjoined spheres?

That's a good way of describing it. I've seen similar systems that are just
three chambered concrete or poly rectangular tanks though.

Three spheres would have a fair bit of rigidity, all else being equal.
Much moreso (for the same amount of material) than prisms.

Ouch! Though it appears you have no other (sewer) alternatives. Do you also
recycle grey water (to keep the load down on the septic system)?

The system is rated for over 1000 gallons a day. We don't come anywhere close to
that - maybe 500 if we have guests and 200 without.

What sorts of problems is the inspection *intended* to catch? And, are
these *real* problems or just "possible" problems?

The system is actually quite complex. There are filters to keep the spider pipe
from getting blocked up, solenoid coltrolled valves that alternate the direction
of flow in the spider pipe, float switches, air compressor flow rates and such.
Inspections are annoying and expensive, but probably necessary.

But, the "failure" would (just?) be that your waste isn't being processed
(correctly)? Are the inspections there "for YOUR benefit" (isn't the
gummit wunnerful?)? Or, is there some fear that a failure in your
system will result in (unprocessed) waste water getting beyond it's
intended scope?

(I.e., they *aren't* concerned that the "roof has caved in"...)

Posted to alt.home.repair

Don Y wrote:

But, the "failure" would (just?) be that your waste isn't being processed
(correctly)? Are the inspections there "for YOUR benefit" (isn't the
gummit wunnerful?)? Or, is there some fear that a failure in your
system will result in (unprocessed) waste water getting beyond it's
intended scope?

(I.e., they *aren't* concerned that the "roof has caved in"...)

Water is a scarce resource around here, so contamination of a neighboring well
is always a concern. There's a load of traditional septic systems that have
failed in this area. The houses they serve are 20+ years old and the owners
aren't keen on investing in replacement systems, especially if will be $15-$20K.
I suppose mandatory inspections are one way to make that happen.

Bog cisterns Denis McMahon[_2_] UK diy 4 April 24th 15 02:00 PM
Toilet Cisterns etc ? the_constructor UK diy 9 August 12th 07 01:19 AM
Quality Toilet Cisterns TheScullster UK diy 11 April 11th 07 11:34 PM
Cisterns Jimmie D Home Repair 10 July 24th 06 05:02 PM
know anything about cisterns? newboy UK diy 2 May 8th 05 08:56 PM