Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Outside Painting Question

Hello,

Have a typical Colonial with horiz. wooden siding.
The typical.

Needs a paint job, but not sure how this would be handled.

About, perhaps, 5% to 10 % of the paint is peeling.

O.K., I can certainly have that amount sanded down, and feathered prior
to any new paint.

But, any new paint only relies on the paint already down for adhesion I
would think. The new paint would only see what it is painted on; the old
paint.

The new paint never sees the actual wood underneath (except for the
small amount sanded down).

So, how does one ensure that the new paint will also not peel away as
soon as the old stuff probably will ?

Can't sand it all, way too much.

How is a situation like this handled ?
What am I missing ?

Thanks,
Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 31 Aug 2015 12:17:27 -0400, Bob wrote:

[...]

Check this:

"A non-sudsing powdered Trisodium Phosphate (TSP) compound that is
formulated for heavy duty cleaning. Preferred by painting and cleaning
professionals for removing heavy deposits of greasy grime, smoke, soot
stains and chalked paint from walls, woodwork and floors. Removes
mildew and mildew stains when mixed with bleach. Cleans and prepares
surfaces for repainting. Also recommended for washing away paint
remover sludge.

Trisodium phosphate has been used by painters for years and years as a
heavy duty degreaser and all purpose cleaner. TSP is formulated for
removing Grease, soot,and lead paint dust cleanup. A washing of
surfaces prior to painting helps insure a good clean "bite" for the
finish coats of paint."

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_product.do?pid=3808

HD has it in the paint section.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, August 31, 2015 at 12:17:59 PM UTC-4, Bob wrote:
[...]

It depends on why the existing paint is peeling. If it lasted
normal life+ and it's starting to peel from age, that's normal.
If it was put on and within a few years it's peeling, that suggests
an underlying problem that needs to be solved.

Assuming it's #1, then your plan to scrape, sand, etc the peeled
areas is the right one. Actually, I'd suggest using a Wagner paint
eater. It has a rough pad, like a super strong version of a pot
scrubbing pad. It's the best thing I've found for removing peeling
paint. Should be power washed first. Then I'd recommend using
XIM Peel Bond on the bare areas. It's a very thick primer that helps
level out the uneven areas and it's an excellent adhesion primer too.

Then use two coats of a good paint. I prefer Benjamin Moore.

And to answer your question, you're relying on the rest of the old
paint to be sound, so that it won't peel once covered and protected
by the new paint.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Mon, 31 Aug 2015 12:17:27 -0400, Bob
wrote:

Hello,

Have a typical Colonial with horiz. wooden siding.
The typical.

Needs a paint job, but not sure how this would be handled.

About, perhaps, 5% to 10 % of the paint is peeling.

O.K., I can certainly have that amount sanded down, and feathered prior
to any new paint.

But, any new paint only relies on the paint already down for adhesion I
would think. The new paint would only see what it is painted on; the old
paint.

The new paint never sees the actual wood underneath (except for the
small amount sanded down).

So, how does one ensure that the new paint will also not peel away as
soon as the old stuff probably will ?

Can't sand it all, way too much.

How is a situation like this handled ?

Painters all over paint houses without sanding the whole thing and
usually the parts that were good before painting don't peel after
painting. And like you say, you've scraped and even sanded the parts
that were peeling, so they're good too.

Perhaps some marginal areas you didn't treat will peel later.

So, use latex paint which can be patched without the difference or the
border showing, and save matching paint to do that if necessary. Save
a whole gallon if your house is big. Although supposedly you can get
matching paint at the paint store if you show them the color you want.
So at least paint something removed or removeable.

When I moved in to this house, the previous owner gave me the owners
manuals for everything and the receipts for many things, including the
kitchen floor and the carpet. I went there to buy spare for repairs.
It was 4 years later but they still had the same vinyl llinoleum and I
bought a piece, but they had no carpeting. I asked her why the
installers didn't leave extra for patching. She said, When we do that
the housewives call up and complain. I don't know why they can't
explain the purpose of the scraps to these housewives.

The seller even told me he spilled paint in the middle of the big
bedroom and had to cut a patch from the closet. I think I found the
place where he put the patch in, but I never found the place he took the
patch out. I guess he cleaned the painted part as well as he could and
put it back where the patch had come from, but I still don't see how I
missed it.

What am I missing ?

Thanks,
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I know that Homeless Lisa blew out her patch.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 31 Aug 2015 10:01:15 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

Actually, I'd suggest using a Wagner paint
eater. It has a rough pad, like a super strong version of a pot
scrubbing pad. It's the best thing I've found for removing peeling
paint.

I have to disagree about the Wagner. Bought one, thinking it was a
good idea and to use on my fascia boards. The shaft broke before the
first pad wore out. Pads clog and fill-up with dust and paint
particles. I was able to wash it out with a hose. Pads were about
$15, if you needed another one. The Wager can be difficult to operate
from a ladder, and can get away -- causing circular swirl gashes in
the wood.

Fished the fascia with a DeWalt 5 in. Orbital Sander. A couple
different grits of paper (60/80?). A world of difference.

I'm sticking to my story grin
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bob" wrote in message ...

Hello,

Have a typical Colonial with horiz. wooden siding.
The typical.

Hey Bob! Is that anything like a Colonel?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Oren" wrote in message ...
[...]

The new stuff ain't no good, dummy.
LOL, not to mention that Home Cheapo sucks dicks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

if theres lead in any of the paint of your home, sanding can cause a hazard, and get you in trouble.

scraping is ok, but tarp everything before beginning
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 31 Aug 2015 15:44:53 -0700 (PDT), bob haller
wrote:

if theres lead in any of the paint of your home, sanding can cause a hazard, and get you in trouble.

Never saw anybody in prison for doing it.

scraping is ok, but tarp everything before beginning

Tell that to the federal government and ask why they paid money to
exposed inmates.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 31 Aug 2015, Oren wrote in alt.home.repair:

Never saw anybody in prison for doing it.

Maybe the hospital or morgue, though.
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

That's what PRIMER is made for.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, August 31, 2015 at 10:50:13 PM UTC-4, wrote:
[...]

Primer's purpose isn't to keep the remaining existing paint
from peeling off.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/31/2015 11:17 AM, Bob wrote:
Hello,

Have a typical Colonial with horiz. wooden siding.
The typical.

Needs a paint job, but not sure how this would be handled.

About, perhaps, 5% to 10 % of the paint is peeling.

O.K., I can certainly have that amount sanded down, and feathered
prior to any new paint.

But, any new paint only relies on the paint already down for adhesion
I would think. The new paint would only see what it is painted on; the
old paint.

The new paint never sees the actual wood underneath (except for the
small amount sanded down).

So, how does one ensure that the new paint will also not peel away as
soon as the old stuff probably will ?

Can't sand it all, way too much.

How is a situation like this handled ?

XIM 11461 High Build Water Based Bonding Primer/Sealer

Clear high build, water based strong bonding primer, sealer and filler
Use with Latex topcoats
Penetrates Acrylic Latex and elastomeric paints, bonds to old paint,
wood, plywood, T1-11, PVC, Aluminum, Galvanized Metal, Brick and Stucco

http://www.rustoleum.com/~/media/Dig...ealer_TDS.ashx

Read the reviews on Amazon.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, September 1, 2015 at 3:50:47 PM UTC-4, Moe DeLoughan wrote:
On 8/31/2015 11:17 AM, Bob wrote:
[...]

That's the XIM Peel Bond that I recommended. I highly recommend it.
It's very thick so it helps even out the transition areas between the bare
spots and the painted spots after scraping, sanding, etc. That's in
addition to being an excellent primer.

One more painting question Nancy Young Home Repair 6 May 2nd 07 07:06 PM
Painting Question Dottie Home Repair 1 January 11th 07 05:23 AM
Painting question Eric in North TX Home Repair 6 November 29th 06 08:40 PM
Painting question R UK diy 8 September 15th 05 07:18 AM
A painting question.... Peter Home Repair 15 July 16th 05 05:20 AM