Posted to alt.home.repair

Default rusty van underside

Has anyone painted that rust rejuvnator paint on the bottom of a rusty vehicle.

I have used that stuff near my gas meter. The paint peels the lines rust, so perhaps every 5 years I knock off the heavy rust, paint on the rejuvnator stuff, and paint the lines with green paint. this time the paint on the meter has faded so bad i will paint the meter too.

it might be called rust converter/.

i am trying to get a couple more years from my old van.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 30 Aug 2015 17:33:21 -0700 (PDT), bob haller
wrote:

Has anyone painted that rust rejuvnator paint on the bottom of a rusty vehicle.

I have used that stuff near my gas meter. The paint peels the lines rust, so perhaps every 5 years I knock off the heavy rust, paint on the rejuvnator stuff, and paint the lines with green paint. this time the paint on the meter has faded so bad i will paint the meter too.

it might be called rust converter/.

i am trying to get a couple more years from my old van.

Bob, I think what your are looking for is a rust neutralizer.

Paint the rust with a (foam) brush, let is cure and not break the
surface coating or it will break the protective coat.

I use it. Have a look. "Loctite® Extend Rust Neutralizer is a fast
drying, milky white latex coating that is applied to rusted metal to
stop rust, protect the surface and act as a primer for the finish
coat. It converts rust to a neutral surface ready for painting,
creating the ability to paint over rust."

You have to allow the rust to turn black and not scratch the coating
afterwards.

http://www.loctiteproducts.com/p/s_trmt_extend/overview/Loctite-Extend-Rust-Neutralizer.htm

Better than sliced bread
Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Sun, 30 Aug 2015 17:33:21 -0700 (PDT), bob haller
wrote:

Has anyone painted that rust rejuvnator paint on the bottom of a rusty vehicle.

I have used that stuff near my gas meter. The paint peels the lines rust, so perhaps every 5 years I knock off the heavy rust, paint on the rejuvnator stuff, and paint the lines with green paint. this time the paint on the meter has faded so bad i will paint the meter too.

it might be called rust converter/.

i am trying to get a couple more years from my old van.

I've used it on a car somewhere. It worked well. Don't know what it's
called but you find it in an auto parts store, and it used to come in a
small brown plastic bottle that was a lot wider at the bottom than at
the top, as bottles go.

They used to say that it turned the metal into plastic, but Oren's post
makes it seem they've toned down that claim.

It might be called Extend.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Has anyone painted that rust rejuvnator paint on the bottom of a rusty vehicle.

I have used that stuff near my gas meter. The paint peels the lines rust, so perhaps every 5 years I knock off the heavy rust, paint on the rejuvnator stuff, and paint the lines with green paint. this time the paint on the meter has faded so bad i will paint the meter too.

it might be called rust converter/.

i am trying to get a couple more years from my old van.

I've used it on a car somewhere. It worked well. Don't know what it's
called but you find it in an auto parts store, and it used to come in a
small brown plastic bottle that was a lot wider at the bottom than at
the top, as bottles go.

They used to say that it turned the metal into plastic, but Oren's post
makes it seem they've toned down that claim.

It might be called Extend.

Loctite bought the Extend product line but still use the term
"EXTEND". Both are a rust neutralizer. The auto store has it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

bob haller posted for all of us...

Has anyone painted that rust rejuvnator paint on the bottom of a rusty vehicle.

I have used that stuff near my gas meter. The paint peels the lines rust, so perhaps every 5 years I knock off the heavy rust, paint on the rejuvnator stuff, and paint the lines with green paint. this time the paint on the meter has faded so bad i will paint the meter too.

it might be called rust converter/.

i am trying to get a couple more years from my old van.

A word of caution, depending on design the underside may be part of the
unibody or frame. If it has pinholes or holes in it; it must be replaced
with new metal. Claire can explain it further I'm sure.

--
Tekkie

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, August 31, 2015 at 5:23:41 PM UTC-4, Tekkie® wrote:
bob haller posted for all of us...

Has anyone painted that rust rejuvnator paint on the bottom of a rusty vehicle.

I have used that stuff near my gas meter. The paint peels the lines rust, so perhaps every 5 years I knock off the heavy rust, paint on the rejuvnator stuff, and paint the lines with green paint. this time the paint on the meter has faded so bad i will paint the meter too.

it might be called rust converter/.

i am trying to get a couple more years from my old van.

A word of caution, depending on design the underside may be part of the
unibody or frame. If it has pinholes or holes in it; it must be replaced
with new metal. Claire can explain it further I'm sure.

--
Tekkie

Thanks my goal is to stabilize and prevent futher detoriation...... were very broke right now.

some years ago i had a 2000 voyager ziebarted. it pretty much stopped futher rust but last thursday the engine failed, a valve siezed. its not worth repairing
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Has anyone painted that rust rejuvnator paint on the bottom of a rusty vehicle.

I have used that stuff near my gas meter. The paint peels the lines rust, so perhaps every 5 years I knock off the heavy rust, paint on the rejuvnator stuff, and paint the lines with green paint. this time the paint on the meter has faded so bad i will paint the meter too.

it might be called rust converter/.

i am trying to get a couple more years from my old van.

I've used Por-15 on a couple cars. Rocker panels and fenders.
It slows down further rusting, but doesn't stop it.
Improves the cosmetics.