Posted to alt.home.repair

Default HVAC Not Cooling, sometimes.

I have a new 4 ton A/C and gas furnace installed in Jan 2015 by a contractor.
This replaced a Colman 4 ton that I installed myself about 25 years ago. The new
A/C Condensing Unit is a Trane 4 ton 4TTR3018-60. The A/C has been running all
summer with out a problem.

Today, after being off for a couple of hours, it started up and the following
happened:

(1) the house lights blinked for about 1/4 to 1/2 second.

(2) the condensing unit ran twice as loud with more vibration as it normally
does for about a couple of minutes and then it resumed its normal
noise/vibration level.

(3) During the time it was running, there was absolutely no cooling. The
temperature at the bonnet was the same as the temperature at the return air duct.

I shut the A/C down by adjusting the thermostat up and called the service tech
who is coming tomorrow morning. After waiting an hour, I dropped the thermostat
and it started right up with no lights blinking. The bonnet is running about
14-16 degrees cooler than the return duct which is normal.

When I read the specs for the compressor, it says the following:

"The Climatuff® compressor features internal over temperature and pressure
protector, total dipped hermetic motor and thermostatically controlled sump
heater. Other features include: roto lock suction and discharge refrigeration
connections, centrifugal oil pump, and low vibration and noise."

Question: Is it possible that the compressor detected a problem and just shut
down but the Condensing Unit fan would still keep running? Also would a 1/4 to
1/2 second blinking of the lights be symptomatic of the problem?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/24/2015 5:08 PM, Arnie Goetchius wrote:
[...]

Without being there, I'm not getting any big ideas what
might be wrong. My first thought was dusty condenser, but
that's unlikely on a unit less than a year old.

Be interesting, see what the tech finds. Please follow
up on this list, we can learn from you. Thank you.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, August 24, 2015 at 7:26:00 PM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:
[...]

.
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
. www.lds.org
.
.

wonder if the air filter is clogged?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/24/15 5:08 PM, Arnie Goetchius wrote:
[...]

What if you lost power for 1/2 second from a squirrel playing on the
line of a train hitting a utility tower? Maybe the noise you heard was
not the condenser fan but the compressor trying to resume operation
against too much pressure. In a couple of minutes, a protection device
shut off the compressor because of heat or pressure.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 24 Aug 2015 17:08:41 -0400, Arnie Goetchius
wrote:

[...]

Does it have a restart lockout timer to prevent the compressor from
short cycling? If not, it may have been liquid slugged and overheated.
Letting it settle for a while got it working again and I hope you
didn't really hurt anything.

Posted to alt.home.repair

J Burns wrote:
[...]

It seemed like something like that might have happened BUT the noise and
vibration started exactly when the A/C started. The noise I hard was probably
from the compressor trying to start after being off for at least a couple of
hours. I had set the thermostat up a couple of degrees in the morning because it
was a nice day and we opened the doors. In the afternoon, it got hot so I closed
the doors and lowered the thermostat and that's when the lights blinked at the
same time as the compressor tried to start.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

The thermostat has a lockout timer so you can't turn it on and then off and then
right back on. I think the timer prevents a restart from happening for 3-5 minutes.
Posted to alt.home.repair

bob haller wrote:
[...]

I have a Dust Eater filter that was back washed about 10 days ago. In any event,
the Condensing Unit (probably the compressor) had a problem as soon as it
started so I don't think the filter came into play.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/24/15 8:41 PM, Arnie Goetchius wrote:
J Burns wrote:

What if you lost power for 1/2 second from a squirrel playing on the line of a
train hitting a utility tower? Maybe the noise you heard was not the condenser
fan but the compressor trying to resume operation against too much pressure. In
a couple of minutes, a protection device shut off the compressor because of heat
or pressure.

It seemed like something like that might have happened BUT the noise and
vibration started exactly when the A/C started. The noise I hard was probably
from the compressor trying to start after being off for at least a couple of
hours. I had set the thermostat up a couple of degrees in the morning because it
was a nice day and we opened the doors. In the afternoon, it got hot so I closed
the doors and lowered the thermostat and that's when the lights blinked at the
same time as the compressor tried to start.

I've had my refrigerator compressor overheat and shut off because of a
power interruption, but the interruption occurred after it was running.

I don't know how many amps it take to trip a momentary interrupter on a
power line. Maybe there happened to be an exceptional load on the line
at that instant. Your compressor was enough to trip the power company's
device, and your lights flickered.
Posted to alt.home.repair

J Burns wrote:

[...]

In our neighborhood, we have drop down fuses that will disconnect the
transformer if there is a high current problem. Then you have to call the
utility to come out and close the fuse. No momentary interrupters that I know of
unless there is something at the sub-station (2 miles from my house) that does a
momentary interruption.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 24 Aug 2015 22:29:12 -0400, Arnie Goetchius
wrote:

In our neighborhood, we have drop down fuses that will disconnect the
transformer if there is a high current problem. Then you have to call the
utility to come out and close the fuse. No momentary interrupters that I know of
unless there is something at the sub-station (2 miles from my house) that does a
momentary interruption.

If they are switching power around the grid, you can get little
"blinks" of the lights. (up to a couple seconds). That is why the UPS
is such a popular thing.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, August 24, 2015 at 6:26:00 PM UTC-5, Stormin Mormon wrote:
[...]

I'd have to wonder about dirt and grass clippings clogging the condenser from when the lawn was mowed near the AC unit. Me and the guys I did HVAC work with admonished homeowners to always turn the AC off when a lawnmower is being used on the same side of the house as the condensing unit. Of course this is when homes are close together not for huge lots. For large lots, we'd tell them to turn the AC off when the lawn was being mowed within 10 yards unless a cloud of dust is being kicked up then turn the AC off until the mowing is done and the dust settles. I have explained to some people that the discharge from a mower should never be toward the AC unit and the unit should be hosed off with a gentle fan spray so as not to damage the fins before turning the AC back on. A lot of homeowners have never thought it necessary to turn the AC off when the lawn was being mowed, not because they're stupid it's because they don't know any better. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Lawn Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

J Burns wrote:

[...]

http://www.oncor.com/EN/Pages/Common-Utility-Terms.aspx

This says a fuse must be replaced if it disconnects the circuit. It
says the small circuit breaker on a distribution lines is a recloser.

When a pecan limb fell onto bare distribution wires behind my house,
lights in the neighborhood blinked. I imagine that was the recloser
across the street. If the limb had kept the lines pressed together, the
lever on the recloser would have popped down and a guy with a long pole
would have had to come to reset it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

J Burns wrote:

[...]

Reclosers usually reset themselves (AKA automatic recloser).
That is why you may see it come on a couple times before it stays off.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Uncle Monster wrote:
[...]

Good point. In my case, the lawn is at about 5 yards away from the A/C. However,
when I do the lawn, the output of the mower is always directed away from the A/C
so I don't think that is the problem.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/24/2015 10:29 PM, Arnie Goetchius wrote:

I don't know how many amps it take to trip a momentary interrupter on a power
line. Maybe there happened to be an exceptional load on the line at that
instant. Your compressor was enough to trip the power company's device, and your
lights flickered.

In our neighborhood, we have drop down fuses that will disconnect the
transformer if there is a high current problem. Then you have to call the
utility to come out and close the fuse. No momentary interrupters that I know of
unless there is something at the sub-station (2 miles from my house) that does a
momentary interruption.

We have that at least once a month on one of the phases. Drops out the
one AC, TV box will have to reboot. PITA, but no damage.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
[...]

Here is what the tech said:

While it is possible that there was a temporary power failure that caused all of
the compressor racket, the more likely problem was a stuck TXV valve in the A
coil as described in the links below.

Starting in 2014, Copeland, who makes the compressor, started
adding a rust inhibitor to the compressor. The inhibitor had the consequence of
occasionally freezing the TXV valve thus preventing any circulation in the
system. When the TXV valve freezes, it causes the compressor to struggle and
finally shut down.

The solution is to add a cleaning fluid of some kind (A/C Re-New ?) to the
system and run it for 48 hours to get rid of the anti rust inhibitor and free up
the TXV valve. If the TXV valve is still frozen, then the TXV valve has to be
replaced.

The tech said keep an eye on it and if it happens again, they will come out and
flush the system and replace the TXV valve if that is necessary.

Here are some relevant links:

Explanation of Problem

https://www.reddit.com/r/HVAC/commen...s_many_brands/

Copeland Lawsuit

http://www.chimicles.com/thermostati...defect-lawsuit

Youtube Video How to Fix. Includes about about 140 comments

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Amo2eRlYrzg
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/25/15 10:29 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
[...]

Does it reclose, or do you call the man with the pole?
Posted to alt.home.repair

J Burns wrote:
[...]

I have to call the man with the pole. When I call, I tell that I am out there with my tree trimmer and is it
okay if I do it myself. Of course, they scream at me No! No! and send their own pole guy out IMMEDIATELY!!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, August 25, 2015 at 10:22:18 AM UTC-5, Arnie Goetchius wrote:
J Burns wrote:
[...]

Well hell it's only 13,800 volts, so what's the problem? ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Insane Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/25/2015 11:17 AM, J Burns wrote:

We have that at least once a month on one of the phases. Drops out the
one AC, TV box will have to reboot. PITA, but no damage.

Does it reclose, or do you call the man with the pole?

Drops and goes back by itself. Just goes out long enough to cause things
to stop.