Posted to alt.home.repair
bob haller bob haller is offline

Default HVAC Not Cooling, sometimes.

On Monday, August 24, 2015 at 7:26:00 PM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 8/24/2015 5:08 PM, Arnie Goetchius wrote:
I have a new 4 ton A/C and gas furnace installed in Jan 2015 by a contractor.
This replaced a Colman 4 ton that I installed myself about 25 years ago.. The new
A/C Condensing Unit is a Trane 4 ton 4TTR3018-60. The A/C has been running all
summer with out a problem.

Today, after being off for a couple of hours, it started up and the following
happened:

(1) the house lights blinked for about 1/4 to 1/2 second.

(2) the condensing unit ran twice as loud with more vibration as it normally
does for about a couple of minutes and then it resumed its normal
noise/vibration level.

(3) During the time it was running, there was absolutely no cooling. The
temperature at the bonnet was the same as the temperature at the return air duct.

I shut the A/C down by adjusting the thermostat up and called the service tech
who is coming tomorrow morning. After waiting an hour, I dropped the thermostat
and it started right up with no lights blinking. The bonnet is running about
14-16 degrees cooler than the return duct which is normal.

When I read the specs for the compressor, it says the following:

"The Climatuff® compressor features internal over temperature and pressure
protector, total dipped hermetic motor and thermostatically controlled sump
heater. Other features include: roto lock suction and discharge refrigeration
connections, centrifugal oil pump, and low vibration and noise."

Question: Is it possible that the compressor detected a problem and just shut
down but the Condensing Unit fan would still keep running? Also would a 1/4 to
1/2 second blinking of the lights be symptomatic of the problem?

Without being there, I'm not getting any big ideas what
might be wrong. My first thought was dusty condenser, but
that's unlikely on a unit less than a year old.

Be interesting, see what the tech finds. Please follow
up on this list, we can learn from you. Thank you.

--
.
Christopher A. Young

wonder if the air filter is clogged?