Posted to alt.home.repair
J Burns J Burns is offline

Default HVAC Not Cooling, sometimes.

On 8/24/15 8:41 PM, Arnie Goetchius wrote:
J Burns wrote:

What if you lost power for 1/2 second from a squirrel playing on the line of a
train hitting a utility tower? Maybe the noise you heard was not the condenser
fan but the compressor trying to resume operation against too much pressure. In
a couple of minutes, a protection device shut off the compressor because of heat
or pressure.

It seemed like something like that might have happened BUT the noise and
vibration started exactly when the A/C started. The noise I hard was probably
from the compressor trying to start after being off for at least a couple of
hours. I had set the thermostat up a couple of degrees in the morning because it
was a nice day and we opened the doors. In the afternoon, it got hot so I closed
the doors and lowered the thermostat and that's when the lights blinked at the
same time as the compressor tried to start.

I've had my refrigerator compressor overheat and shut off because of a
power interruption, but the interruption occurred after it was running.

I don't know how many amps it take to trip a momentary interrupter on a
power line. Maybe there happened to be an exceptional load on the line
at that instant. Your compressor was enough to trip the power company's
device, and your lights flickered.