Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Do I need treatment?

I wanted to tell someone about my mental problems. Please don't tell
any prospective employers.

I'm reading a long webpage about connecting the computer to a television
and at the same time I'm listening to a story on the radio about a man
with no arms who won an archery championship using his legs to shoot.

The radio story is over so I'm back to reading, and I keep thinking that
this poor guy with no arms is connecting his computer to his TV and I
should read very carefully because he must have really put his heart
into it.

I often mix what I'm reading with what's on the radio. I hope it
doesn't get me into trouble. .

No technical answers to my plight are expected, but in case anyone wants
to reply anyhow, I'm only interested in *power*ed balun connections or
possibly wireless connections from the computer that lead to a device
near the television that has a co-ax RF output, an S-video output, or a
set of Red, White and Yellow RCA outputs. That's for sure. No more
than 100 probably or maybe 200 dollars. (No BNC. Most of these
setups are for security cameras etc. and they end in BNC, but I don't
have BNC on the video card or as an input the DVDR or RF modulator.)
And not HDMI.

The required output of the computer can be DVI, SVGA, S-video or maybe I
would buy something else for that. I have USB too of course but I
don't see that would work at all. And not HDMI.

The wireless connection can be wifi, RF, or whatever exists that I don't
know about. The balun connection would be cat6.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Fri, 14 Aug 2015 01:36:57 -0400, micky
wrote:

No technical answers to my plight are expected, but in case anyone wants
to reply anyhow, I'm only interested in *power*ed balun connections or
possibly wireless connections from the computer that lead to a device

Please skip this totally after all. There is nothing under $20 and I'm
not ready to spend more, even if I might in a few months. I need to
retry what I already have, that was grainy last time, but shouldn't have
been.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 08/14/2015 12:36 AM, micky wrote:
I wanted to tell someone about my mental problems. Please don't tell
any prospective employers.

My wife and I have each done 15 years of volunteer work at organizations
serving the mental illness community.

One thing I've found is that there is a difference between having been
diagnosed with a mental illness and just plain "being nuts".

All you have to do is look at our political system and you will see a
lot of "nut cases" who, from a clinical perspective, are not mentally ill.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 08/14/2015 12:36 AM, micky wrote:
I wanted to tell someone about my mental problems. Please don't tell
any prospective employers.

You sound OK to me, now I've got to go back
to clubbing the baby seals which the small
boys are hiding under the bed (along with
the priest or two, under the bed with the
seals).

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

No technical answers to my plight are expected, but in case anyone wants
to reply anyhow, I'm only interested in *power*ed balun connections or
possibly wireless connections from the computer that lead to a device

Please skip this totally after all. There is nothing under $20 and I'm
not ready to spend more, even if I might in a few months. I need to
retry what I already have, that was grainy last time, but shouldn't have
been.

You must be CRAZY. Federal law requires TV stations to broadcast HDTV
OTA for FREE. Only 19.99. Now you can throw your computer away.
http://www.cleartv.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

No technical answers to my plight are expected, but in case anyone wants
to reply anyhow, I'm only interested in *power*ed balun connections or
possibly wireless connections from the computer that lead to a device

Please skip this totally after all. There is nothing under $20 and I'm
not ready to spend more, even if I might in a few months. I need to
retry what I already have, that was grainy last time, but shouldn't have
been.

You must be CRAZY.

Okay. We've resolved that.

Federal law requires TV stations to broadcast HDTV
OTA for FREE. Only 19.99. Now you can throw your computer away.
http://www.cleartv.com

This is just an antenna! ;-) I have several of those, plus sometimes
I just use a single strand wire.

But I want to watch what's on the computer from bed. I think I'm going
to reconnect my passive audio-video balun and buy a wireless
keyboard/pad to control it.

The wireless keyboards all say a maximum range of 33 feet, which is the
same thing they said 5 years ago when I was gung ho on this, and that's
right on the border of how far away the computer is. But this year if
it doesn't work, I'll run an extension usb cable closer to my room.

I wanted a wifi-keyboard, and now I can't remember if I found any. But
most of the ones that call themselves wifi are really just wireless,
they have a separate usb receiver.

I thought to be wifi, the signal had to go through the router????

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

You'll have to sleep on the lower bunk. If you cut a rectangular hole
in the top mattress, that will remind you. Now, lay your computer
monitor face down on the hole. Voila!
Posted to alt.home.repair

philo posted for all of us...

My wife and I have each done 15 years of volunteer work at organizations
serving the mental illness community.

Did any of it rub off on you or your wife?

--
Tekkie *Please post a follow-up*
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/14/2015 8:48 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 08/14/2015 12:36 AM, micky wrote:
I wanted to tell someone about my mental problems. Please don't tell
any prospective employers.

You sound OK to me, now I've got to go back
to clubbing the baby seals which the small
boys are hiding under the bed (along with
the priest or two, under the bed with the
seals).

It rubs the lotion on its skin or else it gets the hose again

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Great idea. I don't have a top bunk but I'm going to build a wooden
rack for the monitor. When they were big and heavy, I would have been
afraid it would fall on me.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 08/14/2015 02:21 PM, Tekkie® wrote:
philo posted for all of us...

My wife and I have each done 15 years of volunteer work at organizations
serving the mental illness community.

Did any of it rub off on you or your wife?

My wife is Bi-polar

that's why I love her
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, August 14, 2015 at 9:34:29 PM UTC-5, philo wrote:
On 08/14/2015 02:21 PM, Tekkie® wrote:
philo posted for all of us...

My wife and I have each done 15 years of volunteer work at organizations
serving the mental illness community.

Did any of it rub off on you or your wife?

My wife is Bi-polar

that's why I love her

Crazy women are more fun than saner women, until they come at you with that big kitchen knife. ﴾͡à¹Ì¯Í¡à¹ï´¿

[8~{} Uncle Sane Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

philo posted for all of us...

On 08/14/2015 02:21 PM, Tekkie® wrote:
philo posted for all of us...

My wife and I have each done 15 years of volunteer work at organizations
serving the mental illness community.

Did any of it rub off on you or your wife?

My wife is Bi-polar

that's why I love her

Keep on her good side...

--
Tekkie *Please post a follow-up*
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 08/15/2015 09:36 AM, Uncle Monster wrote:
On Friday, August 14, 2015 at 9:34:29 PM UTC-5, philo wrote:
On 08/14/2015 02:21 PM, Tekkie® wrote:
philo posted for all of us...

My wife and I have each done 15 years of volunteer work at organizations
serving the mental illness community.

Did any of it rub off on you or your wife?

My wife is Bi-polar

that's why I love her

Crazy women are more fun than saner women, until they come at you with that big kitchen knife. ﴾͡à¹Ì¯Í¡à¹ï´¿

[8~{} Uncle Sane Monster

Even though she may technically be mentally ill, she is one of the
sanest people I know.

I am quite sure I have ADD so I can't point fingers

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, August 15, 2015 at 7:16:48 PM UTC-5, philo wrote:
On 08/15/2015 09:36 AM, Uncle Monster wrote:
On Friday, August 14, 2015 at 9:34:29 PM UTC-5, philo wrote:
On 08/14/2015 02:21 PM, Tekkie® wrote:
philo posted for all of us...

My wife and I have each done 15 years of volunteer work at organizations
serving the mental illness community.

Did any of it rub off on you or your wife?

My wife is Bi-polar

that's why I love her

Crazy women are more fun than saner women, until they come at you with that big kitchen knife. ﴾͡à¹Ì¯Í¡à¹ï´¿

[8~{} Uncle Sane Monster

Even though she may technically be mentally ill, she is one of the
sanest people I know.

I am quite sure I have ADD so I can't point fingers

When I was a kid, the treatment for ADD hyperactivity was regular beatings. The treatment didn't work. All it did was make me hate and despise the people who were beating on me. I wish I could push a button and send them all to Hell but I'm sure most of them are already there. á•™(‡€€¸†¼€¶)á•—

[8~{} Uncle ADD Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 08/15/2015 08:26 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:

Even though she may technically be mentally ill, she is one of the
sanest people I know.

I am quite sure I have ADD so I can't point fingers

When I was a kid, the treatment for ADD hyperactivity was regular beatings. The treatment didn't work. All it did was make me hate and despise the people who were beating on me. I wish I could push a button and send them all to Hell but I'm sure most of them are already there. á•™(‡€€¸†¼€¶)á•—

[8~{} Uncle ADD Monster

Although I could concentrate on electronics and would be up until 2 am
building things...
I basically had a hard time concentrating on my studies while I was in
school.

Things may be getting worse though, I do not even have the patience to
cut my nails. I mabye cut three of them now and a few more later etc but
not even ten at once.

Yet the other day I easily spent 15 hours wiring my house.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, August 15, 2015 at 10:12:36 PM UTC-5, philo wrote:
[...]

With ADD, you need something that is mentally stimulating enough to keep your attention. I often get on my computer and become so focused on what I'm doing that I no longer notice the pain I'm in and I'll look at the clock and go WTF! How did it get that late?! A lot of times I'll wake up and my face is resting on my keyboard. I suppose that would be Computer Mania? Š™ï¹Š™

[8~{} Uncle Manic Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message ...

On 08/14/2015 12:36 AM, micky wrote:
I wanted to tell someone about my mental problems. Please don't tell
any prospective employers.

You sound OK to me, now I've got to go back
to clubbing the baby seals which the small
boys are hiding under the bed (along with
the priest or two, under the bed with the
seals).

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. https://youtu.be/46PXaJxzuDE
..
..

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/15/15 9:26 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:
When I was a kid, the treatment for ADD hyperactivity was regular beatings.

School would have been okay if the teachers didn't talk in complete
sentences. By the time they finished the predicate, how was I supposed
to remember the subject?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 08/16/2015 08:55 AM, J Burns wrote:
On 8/15/15 9:26 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:
When I was a kid, the treatment for ADD hyperactivity was regular
beatings.

School would have been okay if the teachers didn't talk in complete
sentences. By the time they finished the predicate, how was I supposed
to remember the subject?

Although I thought I got a crummy education from what I've seen with
*some* of the 30 year olds today...my education was not so bad.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, August 16, 2015 at 1:48:24 PM UTC-5, philo wrote:
On 08/16/2015 08:55 AM, J Burns wrote:
On 8/15/15 9:26 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:
When I was a kid, the treatment for ADD hyperactivity was regular
beatings.

School would have been okay if the teachers didn't talk in complete
sentences. By the time they finished the predicate, how was I supposed
to remember the subject?

Although I thought I got a crummy education from what I've seen with
*some* of the 30 year olds today...my education was not so bad.

I have to dumb down my conversations with a lot of the people I meet because I hate having to explain the meaning of every other word. O_o

[8~{} Uncle Literate Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

philo posted for all of us...

On 08/15/2015 09:36 AM, Uncle Monster wrote:
On Friday, August 14, 2015 at 9:34:29 PM UTC-5, philo wrote:
On 08/14/2015 02:21 PM, Tekkie® wrote:
philo posted for all of us...

My wife and I have each done 15 years of volunteer work at organizations
serving the mental illness community.

Did any of it rub off on you or your wife?

My wife is Bi-polar

that's why I love her

Crazy women are more fun than saner women, until they come at you with that big kitchen knife. ???????

[8~{} Uncle Sane Monster

Even though she may technically be mentally ill, she is one of the
sanest people I know.

I am quite sure I have ADD so I can't point fingers

Everyones got their thing... Except me.

--
Tekkie *Please post a follow-up*
Posted to alt.home.repair

philo posted for all of us...

Although I could concentrate on electronics and would be up until 2 am
building things...
I basically had a hard time concentrating on my studies while I was in
school.

Things may be getting worse though, I do not even have the patience to
cut my nails. I mabye cut three of them now and a few more later etc but
not even ten at once.

Yet the other day I easily spent 15 hours wiring my house.

Go get a mani-pedi. Or go to a podiatrist. You know you will break a nail
doing the wiring...

--
Tekkie *Please post a follow-up*
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/17/2015 2:25 PM, Tekkie® wrote:
philo posted for all of us...

On 08/15/2015 09:36 AM, Uncle Monster wrote:
On Friday, August 14, 2015 at 9:34:29 PM UTC-5, philo wrote:
On 08/14/2015 02:21 PM, Tekkie® wrote:
philo posted for all of us...

My wife and I have each done 15 years of volunteer work at organizations
serving the mental illness community.

Did any of it rub off on you or your wife?

My wife is Bi-polar

that's why I love her

Crazy women are more fun than saner women, until they come at you with that big kitchen knife. ???????

[8~{} Uncle Sane Monster

Even though she may technically be mentally ill, she is one of the
sanest people I know.

I am quite sure I have ADD so I can't point fingers

Everyones got their thing... Except me.

True. I can't type numbers very accurately because I have short fingers.

--
Maggie

Posted to alt.home.repair

philo posted for all of us...

On 08/16/2015 08:55 AM, J Burns wrote:
On 8/15/15 9:26 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:
When I was a kid, the treatment for ADD hyperactivity was regular
beatings.

School would have been okay if the teachers didn't talk in complete
sentences. By the time they finished the predicate, how was I supposed
to remember the subject?

Although I thought I got a crummy education from what I've seen with
*some* of the 30 year olds today...my education was not so bad.

Did you ever see Watter's World or his imitators? I now consider myself a
brainiac compared to them. Geez...

--
Tekkie *Please post a follow-up*
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/17/2015 12:29 PM, Muggles wrote:

[attrs elided]

Even though she may technically be mentally ill, she is one of the
sanest people I know.

I am quite sure I have ADD so I can't point fingers

Everyones got their thing... Except me.

True. I can't type numbers very accurately because I have short fingers.

ROTFL! "Typing accuracy varies directly with finger length" I'll
have to keep that in mind next time someone calls me out on a "typo"!

[Previous "best such excuse" was "font error"]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/17/2015 2:53 PM, Don Y wrote:
On 8/17/2015 12:29 PM, Muggles wrote:

[attrs elided]

Even though she may technically be mentally ill, she is one of the
sanest people I know.

I am quite sure I have ADD so I can't point fingers

Everyones got their thing... Except me.

True. I can't type numbers very accurately because I have short fingers.

ROTFL! "Typing accuracy varies directly with finger length" I'll
have to keep that in mind next time someone calls me out on a "typo"!

[Previous "best such excuse" was "font error"]

I couldn't play bar chords on my guitar either. (¬€¿Â¬)

What's your "thing"? Confession is good for the soul, right?

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/17/2015 3:35 PM, Muggles wrote:
On 8/17/2015 2:53 PM, Don Y wrote:
On 8/17/2015 12:29 PM, Muggles wrote:

[attrs elided]

Even though she may technically be mentally ill, she is one of the
sanest people I know.

I am quite sure I have ADD so I can't point fingers

Everyones got their thing... Except me.

True. I can't type numbers very accurately because I have short fingers.

ROTFL! "Typing accuracy varies directly with finger length" I'll
have to keep that in mind next time someone calls me out on a "typo"!

[Previous "best such excuse" was "font error"]

I couldn't play bar chords on my guitar either. (¬€¿Â¬)

What's your "thing"? Confession is good for the soul, right?

The most interesting "personal observation" I've made (not sure
you would call it a "thing") is that I have trouble with "reference
frames" (for want of a better word).

E.g., as a kid, I recall not being able to resolve "the left side
of the car" -- is that the left side when you are seated *in* it?
Or, the left side when you are LOOKING at it?

(e.g., like STAGE left / STAGE right -- though I've never had problems
with that because it's not "left/right" but STAGE left/right... the
reference is implied in the name -- having done a fair bit of theater
in my youth).

If I look at something that is reflected in a mirror, I automatically
read it correctly -- I am not conscious of the fact that I am
reading a reflection. Similarly, it is easy for me to misread a '2'
as a '5' without the context of surrounding digits. It's trivial for
me to "write backwards" without "effort".

"Hypo" == less, "hyper" == more. Fine. E.g., Hypotonic or hypertonic.
Which is which??

I.e., why is *a* particular reference frame chosen and not "the other"?
"Driver's side" and "passenger's side" seem far more descriptive than
"left" and "right" for a vehicle. Why the (arbitrary?) assignment of
left and right?

Etc.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/17/2015 2:53 PM, Don Y wrote:
[...]

ahh I understand. Do you think you're dyslexic?

--
Maggie

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/17/2015 5:54 PM, Muggles wrote:

I.e., why is *a* particular reference frame chosen and not "the other"?
"Driver's side" and "passenger's side" seem far more descriptive than
"left" and "right" for a vehicle. Why the (arbitrary?) assignment of
left and right?

Etc.

ahh I understand. Do you think you're dyslexic?

No. My mind just plays with different frames of reference as a matter
of course. How it *settles* on one over another is a mystery. *IF*
there is a convention, then I'll follow it. (stage right, etc.)
But, if not, shrug I have no idea how I will perceive something new!

E.g., when friends ask me to critique their artwork (esp abstracts),
they are invariably amazed at what *pops* out of the image, for me.
And, in amazing detail!

Frequently, when asked to *show* them "where" I see a particular
feature/image in the picture, I will have to take the painting and
flip it sideways or upside down -- because *that's* the frame that
they will best be able to perceive it. But, *I* didn't even think
about "orientation" when I looked at it.

It's actually an asset in my work as I am not limited to the "obvious"
solutions to problems but can, instead, see them from a variety of
different viewpoints.

When I took my most recent driving test, they did a colorblindness test
(first time I can recall ever having one). It consisted of a circle
with a spattering of colored "dots"/blobs within. Similar to:
http://thumbs.dreamstime.com/z/color-blind-test-7-24480026.jpg

However, where the above example just tests for one particular color
insensitivity (i.e., you either *see* the '7' or you don't), the DMV's
test is constructed so that you see different things based on which color
(or colors) you have problems with. I.e., there are different digits
in different colors.

When asked "What number do you see?", I HONESTLY replied, "What number do
you *want* me to see?" I wasn't trying to be "difficult"; and, when the
examiner started to object (DMV workers aren't known for their patience),
I clarified my statement: "I see a blue two, a green three; a yellow
five; a red four..." But, I had absolutely no idea what I was
*supposed* to see as it was just as easy for me to make the "two"
appear as the "five" -- I just arbitrarily decided which color was
the "reference" and the digit popped out at me!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/17/2015 8:30 PM, Don Y wrote:
[...]

What sort of work is that? I like different viewpoints.

[...]

smile

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/17/2015 8:34 PM, Muggles wrote:
On 8/17/2015 8:30 PM, Don Y wrote:

ahh I understand. Do you think you're dyslexic?

No. My mind just plays with different frames of reference as a matter
of course. How it *settles* on one over another is a mystery. *IF*
there is a convention, then I'll follow it. (stage right, etc.)
But, if not, shrug I have no idea how I will perceive something new!

It's actually an asset in my work as I am not limited to the "obvious"
solutions to problems but can, instead, see them from a variety of
different viewpoints.

What sort of work is that? I like different viewpoints.

I design "embedded systems" -- essentially "computers that don't look
like computers" (electronic gas pumps, medical instruments, fancy
sewing machines, etc.). Being able to look at something "differently"
often provides insights on how to do it better, cheaper, etc.

When asked "What number do you see?", I HONESTLY replied, "What number do
you *want* me to see?" I wasn't trying to be "difficult"; and, when the
examiner started to object (DMV workers aren't known for their patience),
I clarified my statement: "I see a blue two, a green three; a yellow
five; a red four..." But, I had absolutely no idea what I was
*supposed* to see as it was just as easy for me to make the "two"
appear as the "five" -- I just arbitrarily decided which color was
the "reference" and the digit popped out at me!

smile

I can assure you, it wasn't a "fun" experience! Had the examiner opted
to demand a *single* answer, I don't know what the "right" answer would
have been. :

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 17 Aug 2015 21:19:39 -0700, Don Y wrote:
different viewpoints.

What sort of work is that? I like different
viewpoints.

I design "embedded systems" -- essentially
"computers that don't look like
computers" (electronic gas pumps, medical
instruments, fancy sewing machines, etc.). Being
able to look at something "differently" often provides
insights on how to do it better, cheaper, etc.

I have an electronic sewing machine. Wonderful machine. Used it a
lot.

I like to think outside the box... Look at things differently. Do
things differently because I like 'possibilities' vs. the 'same'.
One of my favorite things to do is to brain storm about the 'why not'
or 'why can't it be done' or 'figure it out' kind of stuff.

You must have one of the most fun jobs out there. Imagine something,
and then find a way to design and build it!

*supposed* to see as it was just as easy for me
to make the "two" appear as the "five" -- I just
arbitrarily decided which color was
the "reference" and the digit popped out at me!

smile

I can assure you, it wasn't a "fun" experience! Had
the examiner opted to demand a *single* answer, I
don't know what the "right" answer would have
been. :

Awe... The examiner is missing the point. To see what someone else
tells you to see is what mindless drones can do, but to really SEE is
a gift.

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/17/2015 10:34 PM, Muggles wrote:

I have an electronic sewing machine. Wonderful machine. Used it a lot.
I like to think outside the box... Look at things differently. Do things
differently because I like 'possibilities' vs. the 'same'. One of my favorite
things to do is to brain storm about the 'why not' or 'why can't it be done' or
'figure it out' kind of stuff.

I prefer to ask "Why was it done *that* way, instead of some other
(possibly better) way?"

E.g., if you have a dishwasher, chances are, it's located near your
sink. And, if you look under the sink, you'll probably see hoses
coming to/from the dishwasher to "hookup" *under* the sink.

A colossal waste of space. And, this usually means the dishwasher
doesn't have the required air gap in the drain line!

The dishwasher, here, moves all the plumbing into the wall behind
the sink/dishwasher. Including the air gap. As a result, the
cabinet beneath the sink has no "extra pipes" to work around.

You must have one of the most fun jobs out there. Imagine something, and then
find a way to design and build it!

Yes. I am blessed in that my job and hobby are one in the same.

There also seems to be more "value" to "making things" instead
of just "writing programs". Your sewing machine probably has
more value to you than any of the "programs" on your PC. It
*does* something.

I can assure you, it wasn't a "fun" experience! Had
the examiner opted to demand a *single* answer, I
don't know what the "right" answer would have
been. :

Awe... The examiner is missing the point. To see what someone else tells you
to see is what mindless drones can do, but to really SEE is a gift.

I am lucky the examiner was flexible in this case. DMV
folks tend not to be known for their flexibility! There's
a reason the test is designed the way it is -- the applicant
is *supposed* to see ONE particular "number" in preference
to the others that are also hiding there.

*I* just couldn't figure out what the "right" number was
supposed to be! :

Time for Coupling...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/16/15 2:48 PM, philo wrote:
On 08/16/2015 08:55 AM, J Burns wrote:
On 8/15/15 9:26 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:
When I was a kid, the treatment for ADD hyperactivity was regular
beatings.

School would have been okay if the teachers didn't talk in complete
sentences. By the time they finished the predicate, how was I supposed
to remember the subject?

Although I thought I got a crummy education from what I've seen with
*some* of the 30 year olds today...my education was not so bad.

Governor Richard Riley was US Secretary of Education from 1993 to 2001.
His department conducted nationwide testing of functional literacy. He
announced that Americans had more years of education than ever before in
history but were functionally less literate than ever before. His
solution was that Americans should spend their entire lives in school,
taking community-college courses if nothing else.

About 1840, affordable books were becoming common in America. The rate
of literacy was soaring because people were interested in what was in
the books they could buy or borrow. The ruling class found this access
to ideas, alarming. They reasoned that if kids were forced to learn to
read like prisoners, they would never be very interested in finding
meaning in published material. That was the purpose of compulsory
education. It worked. Literacy has never been as high as it was before.

School boards exercise censorship over what may be taught. Students also
exercise censorship through passive aggression.

The theory of education involves the lesson plan and the bell curve.
That means each question should be planned so that about 75% of the
students will answer as desired. If too many answer as desired, the
question is deemed too easy. If too few answer as desired, it's too
hard. By learning to think as a herd, successful students can generally
respond to challenging questions with hopeless confusion, causing those
questions to be discarded in favor of dumber material.

Imagine Marine drill instructors were proper teachers. All marching
commands involving left or right would be discarded: too confusing to
too many. A commanding general would be enraged to see a platoon march
flawlessly on graduation day. He'd bust their drill instructor down to
private. No more than 25% of a platoon should respond correctly to 90%
of commands. The purpose of education is to create winners and losers.
Allowing the whole platoon to perform as winners would be tantamount to
anarchy.

In his biography, Lewis Puller said he drank his way through college,
then decided to become a Marine officer. He wrote about getting through
OCS the easy way. One day in Vietnam, his rifle platoon was to patrol on
amtracs. He was given a compass and a topographical map with the route.
It was Greek to him, so he gave the map and compass to his platoon
sergeant, who didn't know either. Most of the Marines in the platoon
could probably have navigated, but the Marine Corps had put their lives
in the hands of these clowns.

OCS was for college graduates, and college graduates know a lot about
dumbing down expectations through passive aggression. Thus Puller had
never bothered to learn to read a map.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/17/2015 8:30 PM, Don Y wrote:

ahh I understand. Do you think you're dyslexic?

No. My mind just plays with different frames of reference as a matter
of course. How it *settles* on one over another is a mystery. *IF*
there is a convention, then I'll follow it. (stage right, etc.)
But, if not, shrug I have no idea how I will perceive something new!

It's actually an asset in my work as I am not limited to the "obvious"
solutions to problems but can, instead, see them from a variety of
different viewpoints.

What sort of work is that? I like different viewpoints.

I design "embedded systems" -- essentially "computers that don't look
like computers" (electronic gas pumps, medical instruments, fancy
sewing machines, etc.). Being able to look at something "differently"
often provides insights on how to do it better, cheaper, etc.

I found your discussion quite interesting. But now, it all makes sense
to me. I've often noted that people who work in certain disciplines
tend to see things differently, often symbolically. It seems true of
engineers and people who work in certain areas of computer sciences.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/17/2015 8:54 PM, Muggles wrote:
On 8/17/2015 6:52 PM, Don Y wrote:
I.e., why is *a* particular reference frame chosen and not "the other"?
"Driver's side" and "passenger's side" seem far more descriptive than
"left" and "right" for a vehicle. Why the (arbitrary?) assignment of
left and right?

Etc.

ahh I understand. Do you think you're dyslexic?

He should look up his local chapter of DAM, Mothers
Against Dyslexia.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/17/2015 8:30 PM, Don Y wrote:

[...]

I look at different things as whether or not it's something I may be able to eat. Everything reminds me of some kind of food. ¯\_( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)_/¯

[8~{} Uncle Hungry Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, August 18, 2015 at 12:45:13 AM UTC-5, Muggles wrote:

One of my favorite things to do is to brain storm about the 'why not'
or 'why can't it be done' or 'figure it out' kind of stuff.

"Brain storming" requires more than one...now I'm *really* starting to worry about you! (ʘ言ʘ•¬)

Termite treatment Bitzer Home Repair 7 April 25th 10 06:08 PM
Wet Rot Treatment Usenet Nutter UK diy 5 December 6th 09 05:29 PM
Best deck treatment dean Home Repair 7 April 21st 07 08:19 PM
Sadolins Treatment Chippy Roy UK diy 0 February 8th 06 12:56 PM
PVA treatment... wet or dry?! Lobster UK diy 7 January 2nd 05 08:40 PM