Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Y[_2_] Don Y[_2_] is offline

Default Do I need treatment?

On 8/17/2015 5:54 PM, Muggles wrote:

I.e., why is *a* particular reference frame chosen and not "the other"?
"Driver's side" and "passenger's side" seem far more descriptive than
"left" and "right" for a vehicle. Why the (arbitrary?) assignment of
left and right?

Etc.

ahh I understand. Do you think you're dyslexic?

No. My mind just plays with different frames of reference as a matter
of course. How it *settles* on one over another is a mystery. *IF*
there is a convention, then I'll follow it. (stage right, etc.)
But, if not, shrug I have no idea how I will perceive something new!

E.g., when friends ask me to critique their artwork (esp abstracts),
they are invariably amazed at what *pops* out of the image, for me.
And, in amazing detail!

Frequently, when asked to *show* them "where" I see a particular
feature/image in the picture, I will have to take the painting and
flip it sideways or upside down -- because *that's* the frame that
they will best be able to perceive it. But, *I* didn't even think
about "orientation" when I looked at it.

It's actually an asset in my work as I am not limited to the "obvious"
solutions to problems but can, instead, see them from a variety of
different viewpoints.

When I took my most recent driving test, they did a colorblindness test
(first time I can recall ever having one). It consisted of a circle
with a spattering of colored "dots"/blobs within. Similar to:
http://thumbs.dreamstime.com/z/color-blind-test-7-24480026.jpg

However, where the above example just tests for one particular color
insensitivity (i.e., you either *see* the '7' or you don't), the DMV's
test is constructed so that you see different things based on which color
(or colors) you have problems with. I.e., there are different digits
in different colors.

When asked "What number do you see?", I HONESTLY replied, "What number do
you *want* me to see?" I wasn't trying to be "difficult"; and, when the
examiner started to object (DMV workers aren't known for their patience),
I clarified my statement: "I see a blue two, a green three; a yellow
five; a red four..." But, I had absolutely no idea what I was
*supposed* to see as it was just as easy for me to make the "two"
appear as the "five" -- I just arbitrarily decided which color was
the "reference" and the digit popped out at me!