Posted to alt.home.repair

Default security camera

A friend wants to monitor for a short period of time a parking lot area.
So, he installed his Cuddyback trail cam. It works fine, but at night is
"blinded" by car headlights and tail lights. At this point, he likes the
simplicity of the game cam, but is there such a camera that would do better
with the car lights at night?

Posted to alt.home.repair

You'd want a conventional security camera with a "Wide Dynamic Range" (WDR) feature. It has a much greater latitude in handling extremes of brightness/darkness.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 9 Aug 2015 11:41:44 -0700, "taxed and spent"
wrote:

A friend wants to monitor for a short period of time a parking lot area.
So, he installed his Cuddyback trail cam. It works fine, but at night is
"blinded" by car headlights and tail lights. At this point, he likes the
simplicity of the game cam, but is there such a camera that would do better
with the car lights at night?

What about a game cam with night vision capabilities? Or does he have
that and feels it's not satisfactory...

Animal Pic:

http://site.spyville.com/invisible-night-vision-camera/night-image.jpg
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

A friend wants to monitor for a short period of time a parking lot area.
So, he installed his Cuddyback trail cam. It works fine, but at night is
"blinded" by car headlights and tail lights. At this point, he likes the
simplicity of the game cam, but is there such a camera that would do
better
with the car lights at night?

What about a game cam with night vision capabilities? Or does he have
that and feels it's not satisfactory...

Animal Pic:

http://site.spyville.com/invisible-night-vision-camera/night-image.jpg

Please note that the critter in the photo has neither headlights nor tail
lights.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 9 Aug 2015 13:19:52 -0700, "taxed and spent"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

A friend wants to monitor for a short period of time a parking lot area.
So, he installed his Cuddyback trail cam. It works fine, but at night is
"blinded" by car headlights and tail lights. At this point, he likes the
simplicity of the game cam, but is there such a camera that would do
better
with the car lights at night?

What about a game cam with night vision capabilities? Or does he have
that and feels it's not satisfactory...

Animal Pic:

http://site.spyville.com/invisible-night-vision-camera/night-image.jpg

Please note that the critter in the photo has neither headlights nor tail
lights.

Okay. Note how the eyes refract light, to a lessor degree. Maybe your
friend needs a professional and not use a trail cam! That was your
point I think. I can't speak for your "friend". Hard to help here
using a middle man.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Oren" wrote in message
On Sun, 9 Aug 2015 13:19:52 -0700, "taxed and spent"
wrote:

. ..
wrote:

[...]

At the present time, my friend would not have said anything different or
more.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 9 Aug 2015 13:39:51 -0700, "taxed and spent"
wrote:

.. .

wrote:

[...]

Please let us know how he solves his dileima.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 09 Aug 2015 13:46:21 -0700, Oren wrote:

On Sun, 9 Aug 2015 13:39:51 -0700, "taxed and spent"
wrote:

"Oren" wrote in message
. ..
On Sun, 9 Aug 2015 13:19:52 -0700, "taxed and spent"
wrote:

m...
wrote:

[...]

....er, Dilemma

My bad.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 09 Aug 2015 13:41:44 -0500, taxed and spent
wrote:

A friend wants to monitor for a short period of time a parking lot area.
So, he installed his Cuddyback trail cam. It works fine, but at night is
"blinded" by car headlights and tail lights. At this point, he likes the
simplicity of the game cam, but is there such a camera that would do
better
with the car lights at night?

One here http://alturl.com/uerir (Trail Cam Pro site) can read license
plates on moving
vehicles at night. That's all it can do though according to the review.

Posted to alt.home.repair

news
wrote:

A friend wants to monitor for a short period of time a parking lot area.
So, he installed his Cuddyback trail cam. It works fine, but at night is
"blinded" by car headlights and tail lights. At this point, he likes the
simplicity of the game cam, but is there such a camera that would do
better
with the car lights at night?

One here http://alturl.com/uerir (Trail Cam Pro site) can read license
plates on moving
vehicles at night. That's all it can do though according to the review.

nice find, though expensive.

The night photos of license plates were not taken dead on, so I wonder how
the headlights would affect a straight on photo.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Per taxed and spent:
A friend wants to monitor for a short period of time a parking lot area.
So, he installed his Cuddyback trail cam. It works fine, but at night is
"blinded" by car headlights and tail lights. At this point, he likes the
simplicity of the game cam, but is there such a camera that would do better
with the car lights at night?

Is the parking lot area lighted?

Here's a $98 el-cheapo cam that works reasonably well at night on a
lighted lot: HTTP: //ExtremeSurfCam.DynDNS.org (select "Parking Lot"...
and you can see clips from past times if you click the "all clips" radio
button.

So far it has:

1) Fended off a lawsuit by a woman who claimed one thing but did another
vis-a-vis tripping and falling.

2) Served as conclusive evidence in a case against armed robbers (didn't
get the license plate #, but confirmed make/model/color of vehicle
at the exact time of the robbery)

An identical cam on the other side of the building served to apprehend
some kid who had robbed somebody across the street - positive ID too.

Placement might be an issue. These cams are 10-12 feet off the ground
so they do not get headlights directly.

These are not "Security" cams - just a bunch of cams to let windsurfers
see how things are on a windy day without calling the windsurfing shop
owner every five minutes.

But from a "Security" perspective I would also be interested in
glare-tolerant cams because my experience so far has been that any moron
with a flashlight can defeat any camera I have used so far just by
shining the beam at the camera.
--
Pete Cresswell
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

A friend wants to monitor for a short period of time a parking lot area.
So, he installed his Cuddyback trail cam. It works fine, but at night is
"blinded" by car headlights and tail lights. At this point, he likes the
simplicity of the game cam, but is there such a camera that would do
better
with the car lights at night?

I've thought about putting a security light behind a game camera.
Ideally,
the light would come on just before the camera took pictures. The bright
security
light might win the battle allowing the cam to get a decent picture.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Per Dean Hoffman:
I've thought about putting a security light behind a game camera.
Ideally,
the light would come on just before the camera took pictures. The bright
security
light might win the battle allowing the cam to get a decent picture.

A 500w halogen light gets you some pretty decent detail.
e.g. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rpGPaXmxeI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ts3THBLlRoU,
--
Pete Cresswell
Posted to alt.home.repair

"taxed and spent" wrote in message ...

A friend wants to monitor for a short period of time a parking lot area.
So, he installed his Cuddyback trail cam. It works fine, but at night is
"blinded" by car headlights and tail lights. At this point, he likes the
simplicity of the game cam, but is there such a camera that would do better
with the car lights at night?

I'll bet yer friend wood like to install one in the women's bathroom.
LOL