Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Electrical Service for my new home

I have applied to my County planning to replace my old home. I contacted the power company to see how much installing some new high voltage line and transformer to the new house would be, they said $15,000 for 500 feet. That to much money for me.
I'm hoping to install a 400 amp panel at the old house and send power to the new house some 500 away. Does anyone have experience with this. ? Maybe transformer with smaller wire? I'm just trying to save myself $10k
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 3 Aug 2015 13:53:15 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

I have applied to my County planning to replace my old home.
I contacted the power company to see how much installing some
new high voltage line and transformer to the new house would be,
they said $15,000 for 500 feet. That to much money for me.
I'm hoping to install a 400 amp panel at the old house and send
power to the new house some 500 away. Does anyone have experience
with this. ? Maybe transformer with smaller wire? I'm just trying
to save myself $10k

If the house is that far away, I assume you are on a rural property.
Generally, farms and rural places have a METER POLE. Meaning the meter
is on the pole with the transformer, or a nearby pole. On that pole
there is a main disconnect. Then wires run underground or overhead to
each building. All wires AFTER the meter are owned and installed by the
owner (or his electrician).

This is what you need to do. An electrician will not likely cost that
much. You DO NOT likely need a new transformer.

So, put the meter on the pole and a main disconect box, and go from
there.
Why do you need 400A anyhow?
I live on a working farm, I have 3 panels. My house (100A), my garage
(100A), and my barn (100A).

I could easily get by on a 60A in the house, and the barn only has a few
lights and in winter some livestock tank heaters, so actually a 30A main
would be enough. The garage probably needs 100A, but only because I have
a large welder in there which I use a couple times a year.
But codes require a 100A panel and If I was to build today, I think the
house would need a 200A main. But codes dont determine actual usage.

Either way, that is an outrageous price amount for 500ft of wire.

Several years ago, I got a trailer house for guests, and wanted the
phone company to run a line to it. (around 150 ft.). They wanted
hundreds of dollars, plus they said that their phone line can only
connect to ONE building, and I'd need to pay for another phone service.
I explained this was not a separate residence, but they said it did not
matter.
I got some underground wire CAT5, made for this use. Cost me around $50.
I put it in the same trench as the water line, and now have phones in
BOTH locations on the same line for the cost of $50.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, August 3, 2015 at 7:25:29 PM UTC-5, wrote:
[...]

You can run Ethernet and a POTS line in the same cat5 cable if you ever want to extend your network to the trailer. Use 568B connections on network jacks on either end but pull out the brown pair for your POTS line in a phone jack. I did it a lot for commercial customers and it works very well. Strip about 4" of the jacket off the cable but keep the piece of jacket intact so you can slide it over the brown pair to run to a surface mount phone jack from the surface mount network jack. 4" should be enough length to allow the jacks to be mounted side by side. You don't have to use the jacket off the cat5 cable or even a piece of jacket off a regular 2 pair phone cable but it makes for a neater installation and protects the POTS line pair. On the 568B wiring, the orange and green pairs carry the Ethernet signal and the blue and brown pairs are not used unless it's a POE, Power Over Ethernet system. There is a chance that ringer voltage on the POTS line could cause interference on the Ethernet but I've never had a problem with it. You could always use the other pairs for an intercom. Anyway, experiment and you can learn something new. ( ͡ᵔ ͜ʖ ͡ᵔ )

https://tinyurl.com/qg5wefl

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzhFr0m-Lk0

[8~{} Uncle Net Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 08/04/2015 01:35 AM, Uncle Monster wrote:
You can run Ethernet and a POTS line in the same cat5 cable if you ever want to extend your network to the trailer.

Are you an idiot or a troll?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 3 Aug 2015 22:35:06 -0700 (PDT), Uncle Monster
wrote:

[...]

Doesn't work with giabit ethernet though - THAT uses all pairs of
Cat5/Cat5e/Cat6 cable.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, August 4, 2015 at 4:11:52 AM UTC-5, Andy wrote:
On 08/04/2015 01:35 AM, Uncle Monster wrote:
You can run Ethernet and a POTS line in the same cat5 cable if you ever want to extend your network to the trailer.

Are you an idiot or a troll?

No Sandy Andy. I have a great deal of experience in the telecom and data field which I doubt you have. So why don't you tell everyone about your vast experience in computer network industry. ( ͡ᵔ ͜ʖ ͡ᵔ )

[8~{} Uncle Experienced Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Of course not, 1gb network signals use 4 pairs, 10/100mb Ethernet uses 2 pairs meaning 2 pair are unused in a 4 pair cable unless there is power over Ethernet involved. A little research will show that in 568B wiring for a 10/100mb network, the orange and green pairs are what carry the data. The blue and brown pairs can be used for POE, Power Over Ethernet or even a second 10/100 network connection. I've often put 2 separate Ethernet feeds on one Cat5/6 cable or POTS and digital phone system feeds with one Ethernet signal on the same Cat5/6 cable. If I were installing new wiring for myself, I'd install Cat6, Cat6e or Cat6a cables which will handle the newer higher speed networks. I believe there may be some 10gb network equipment available now, I'd have to research it but I understand that speeds above 10gb are on the way for home and business networks. Anyway, research it and read as much as you can about networks and cabling to get a better understanding about the field. I have a lot of hands on experience so I usually know what works and what won't. **

[8~{} Uncle Network Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

ethernet ccable is so cheap i would run 2 cables, and have done that here. although most of the phone lines are unused.

at one time we had5 or 6 lines for different purposes
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I believe the OP wrote that he paid $50 for the direct burial rated Ethernet cable. It would be a lot cheaper to share that cable. Imagine if you will, you must get a business phone system extension to the back room of a large busy retail store. The KSU is in the front office and there are no spare pairs in the Cat1 phone cables run over the high ceiling to the rear of the building but there is a Cat5 cable run to a computer terminal in the back room. Since the cable has two unused pairs and the cost to rent an electric scissors lift to reach the 20 foot ceiling could be $100 for the day and the cost of help could be more than that for the day, I'd rather borrow a pair out of the Ethernet cable by using my custom made adapters on either end and the job would take no more than an hour and a half total including yapping with the customer and getting the billing handled. That way I could take care of several more customers the same day. I speak from years of experience, I actually made a little money doing it. ( ͡ᵔ ͜ʖ ͡ᵔ )

[8~{} Uncle Network Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

cable by using my custom made adapters on either end and the job would
take no more than an hour and a half total including yapping with the
customer and getting the billing handled. That way I could take care of
several more customers the same day. I speak from years of experience, I
actually made a little money doing it. ( ͡ᵔ ͜ʖ ͡ᵔ )

[8~{} Uncle Network Monster

That reminds me of a poster I've seen in a bar or two:
http://tinyurl.com/nk3lrcn

Posted to alt.home.repair

--

Damn if it doesn't resemble me but I've never had a beer or even a glass of wine in my life. I don't drink poison except for Diet Mountain Dew.( ͡ᵔ ͜ʖ ͡ᵔ )

[8~{} Uncle Sober Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, August 4, 2015 at 7:43:08 PM UTC-5, Roberto wrote:
On 8/4/2015 7:23 PM, wrote:
On Tue, 4 Aug 2015 13:46:49 -0700 (PDT), Uncle Monster
wrote:

On Tuesday, August 4, 2015 at 4:11:52 AM UTC-5, Andy wrote:
On 08/04/2015 01:35 AM, Uncle Monster wrote:
You can run Ethernet and a POTS line in the same cat5 cable if you ever want to extend your network to the trailer.

Are you an idiot or a troll?

No Sandy Andy. I have a great deal of experience in the telecom and data field which I doubt you have. So why don't you tell everyone about your vast experience in computer network industry. ( ?? ?? ?? )

[8~{} Uncle Experienced Monster

I had a BICSI certification and I would not put POTS on an Ethernet
cable, even if I knew I would never have a gigabit LAN.
It "works" but I heard you could run Twinax on a barbed wire fence and
it "works". I wouldn't try that either.

Exactly!

I'm not an expert but it seems like having pots feed into ethernet cable is a really bad idea...especially if you live in an area with frequent thunderstorms.

I'm not seeing gfretwell's posts but he's correct about it not being recommended except I've never had a problem with it. I do have a bad habit of installing protectors on any telecom or data line that runs between two buildings. Inside big retail stores, I often connected electronic phone systems through the unused pairs of Ethernet cable without a problem. Something like a Nortel business phone system uses a single pair for power and digital communications with the phones and there is no 90vac ringer voltage to worry about. I have hooked up POTS lines in big retail stores to an unused pair in an Ethernet cable for dial-up modems and never had a problem. If the OP is concerned about ringer voltage on the Ethernet cable, he can always take the brown pair and hook up an intercom. (¬¬)

[8~{} Uncle Crazy Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 08/04/2015 10:08 PM, wrote:
On Tue, 4 Aug 2015 20:42:53 -0400, Roberto
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

If you have a surge getting into the building that can jump across the
insulation of a CAT5/6 conductor, you have bigger problems than just
sharing the cable.

I bought some cheap plastic surge protectors that filter lightening out
of my phone and cable lines so I'm *totally* safe. They even came with a
$50,000 damage protection guarantee.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, August 5, 2015 at 3:27:52 AM UTC-5, nobody wrote:
On 08/04/2015 10:08 PM, wrote:
On Tue, 4 Aug 2015 20:42:53 -0400, Roberto
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

I'm still not seeing gfretwell's posts in Google Groups but the last link I installed between two buildings was a wireless network bridge. It even got damaged by lightning. The strike took out the POE wall warts for the wireless gear. I wasn't able to do the repair myself because I couldn't walk at the time but I did do tech support over the phone to explain to my housemate how to get the replacement gear up and running. I'd actually install a wireless network bridge between my hypothetical home and a trailer 150 feet away because I use VoIP for my phone service. **

[8~{} Uncle Wireless Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair

nobody has brought this to us :
On 08/04/2015 10:08 PM, wrote:
On Tue, 4 Aug 2015 20:42:53 -0400, Roberto
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

If you are "totally" safe you can use mind control to transmit anything
:-?

--
John G Sydney.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/5/2015 2:16 AM, Uncle Monster wrote:
On Tuesday, August 4, 2015 at 8:33:11 PM UTC-5, Dean Hoffman wrote:
cable by using my custom made adapters on either end and the job would
take no more than an hour and a half total including yapping with the
customer and getting the billing handled. That way I could take care of
several more customers the same day. I speak from years of experience, I
actually made a little money doing it. ( ͡ᵔ ͜ʖ ͡ᵔ )

[8~{} Uncle Network Monster

That reminds me of a poster I've seen in a bar or two:
http://tinyurl.com/nk3lrcn

--

Damn if it doesn't resemble me but I've never had a beer or even a glass of wine in my life. I don't drink poison except for Diet Mountain Dew.( ͡ᵔ ͜ʖ ͡ᵔ )

[8~{} Uncle Sober Monster

For a while I've been drinking Boost High Protein (rich chocolate) every
morning for breakfast. It actually has a lot of vitamins and minerals in
it that I'd always wanted a breakfast food to contain. Then I got
hooked on V8 Vfusion juice when I want a snack because it's also full of
good vitamins and minerals. Since I started drinking those 2 products
everything else I eat ends up with me looking at it and thinking "what's
in THAT?" Now, it's only a rare occasion that I eat something that's
anything close to junk food. I've even been making my own ice cream and
creating new recipes that actually healthy to eat along with being yummy
too. (It has to have the yummy factor!) LOL

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

When I first began reading this group I noticed some posters who were
just down right disgusting. I thought I'd give them a chance so I didn't
block them right away, but did after it never got better. Now, I just
block weirdo's and nuts and what's left is the regular people discussing
home repair stuff and the OT stuff that comes up along the way.

(looks at Stormin see? I cut the text short!)

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, August 5, 2015 at 10:49:58 AM UTC-5, Muggles wrote:
[...]

Small children contain all the vitamins and minerals I need. There very nutritious if they're not boiled for too long. ԅ( ͒ ۝ ͒ )ᕤ

[8~{} Uncle Hungry Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Does this mean I'm on probation? o( U )o

[8~{} Uncle Horrid Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/5/2015 3:56 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:
[...]

I like baby spinach and carrots. Crunchy, but tasty.

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

naa you passed with flying colors, or was it you were flying high on
something and the jokes you told made it worth my while to read. hmmm
Gotta think about that one.

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Electrical Service for my new home shocking info

Uncle Monster posted for all of us...

I have a lot of hands on experience so I usually know what works and what won't

Not me!

--
Tekkie *Please post a follow-up*
Posted to alt.home.repair

Muggles posted for all of us...

wrote:

[...]

Am I included?

--
Tekkie *Please post a follow-up*
Posted to alt.home.repair

Muggles posted for all of us...

wrote:

[...]

Are you a weirdo? I haven't seen you acting weird, but let me know so I
can be prepared just in case. ᕕ(¬ ͜ ¬)ᕗ

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 6 Aug 2015 16:53:57 -0400, Tekkie® wrote:

It "works" but I heard you could run Twinax on a barbed wire fence and
it "works". I wouldn't try that either.

I loved soldering those connectors in suspended ceilings... Then I found
crimp connectors and a tester, the boss actually bought it for me! I
remember the IBM techs bringing their testers in-they were the size of power
strips...

I just gave my Twinax tester away a few years ago along with my
installation kit and a bag of connectors.
I had the good crimper that pushed in from 4 sides. If you had it
adjusted right, it made better connections than soldering.
I had the setup to do TDR with a scope too if the tester said it was
OK and it still failed (more often than you would think) I was region
support so the normal things were done before I got there.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, August 7, 2015 at 1:34:59 AM UTC-5, FromTheRafters wrote:
laid this down on his screen :
On Thu, 6 Aug 2015 16:53:57 -0400, Tekkie® wrote:

It "works" but I heard you could run Twinax on a barbed wire fence and
it "works". I wouldn't try that either.

I loved soldering those connectors in suspended ceilings... Then I found
crimp connectors and a tester, the boss actually bought it for me! I
remember the IBM techs bringing their testers in-they were the size of power
strips...

I just gave my Twinax tester away a few years ago along with my
installation kit and a bag of connectors.
I had the good crimper that pushed in from 4 sides. If you had it
adjusted right, it made better connections than soldering.
I had the setup to do TDR with a scope too if the tester said it was
OK and it still failed (more often than you would think) I was region
support so the normal things were done before I got there.

Just curious, what was the Twinax used for? ISTR it being used on the
Omega hyperbolic navigation system's antenna - and I hadn't even heard
mention of it since until now.

It's what was used for networking computers before Thinnet coaxial cable networks which came before UTP,"Un-shielded Twisted Pair" for networking and finally Ethernet. I can't remember the UTP network protocol before Ethernet.. I have pulled a lot of Twinax cable out of older offices when upgrading the network to Ethernet. There is a lot of scrap value in the tons of abandoned cabling in office buildings. ( ͡ᵔ ͜ʖ ͡ᵔ )

[8~{} Uncle Cable Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

Uncle Monster wrote on 8/7/2015 :
[...]

cabling in office buildings. ( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡ )

[8~{} Uncle Cable Monster

Thanks for the info. I hadn't heard of it being used with computer
networks.

For long you live and high you fly
But only if you ride the tide
And balanced on the biggest wave
You race towards an early grave.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, August 7, 2015 at 2:23:10 AM UTC-5, FromTheRafters wrote:
[...]

cabling in office buildings. ( Í¡áõ ÍœÊ Í¡áõ )

[8~{} Uncle Cable Monster

Thanks for the info. I hadn't heard of it being used with computer
networks.

Heck, there're probably still some systems out there using it for networking. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

[8~{} Uncle Network Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

Uncle Monster laid this down on his screen :
[...]

tons of abandoned cabling in office buildings. ( Í¡áõ ÍœÊ Í¡áõ )

[8~{} Uncle Cable Monster

Thanks for the info. I hadn't heard of it being used with computer
networks.

Heck, there're probably still some systems out there using it for networking.
¯\_(Ä)_/¯

[8~{} Uncle Network Monster

I'm not now, nor was I ever, an IT guy. I have only Cat5 and 802.11 in
my home network and what looks like RG59 piping (NTSC?) from/to the
provider.

BTW, your unicode art doesn't travel well.

For long you live and high you fly
But only if you ride the tide
And balanced on the biggest wave
You race towards an early grave.

Posted to alt.home.repair

FromTheRafters presented the following explanation :
[...]

-- ...

It's what was used for networking computers before Thinnet coaxial cable
networks which came before UTP,"Un-shielded Twisted Pair" for networking
and finally Ethernet. I can't remember the UTP network protocol before
Ethernet. I have pulled a lot of Twinax cable out of older offices when
upgrading the network to Ethernet. There is a lot of scrap value in the
tons of abandoned cabling in office buildings. ( ͡ᵔ ͜ʖ ͡ᵔ )

[8~{} Uncle Cable Monster

Thanks for the info. I hadn't heard of it being used with computer networks.

Read all about it
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twinaxial_cabling

Google is often a better way to get an answer than asking for an
opinion ;-)

--
John G Sydney.

Posted to alt.home.repair

John G used his keyboard to write :
[...]

tons of abandoned cabling in office buildings. ( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡ )

[8~{} Uncle Cable Monster

Thanks for the info. I hadn't heard of it being used with computer
networks.

Read all about it
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twinaxial_cabling

Google is often a better way to get an answer than asking for an opinion ;-)

True, thanks. I assumed Wikipedia wouldn't be able to tell me which
application a person posting as was using it for.

Knowing what I know now, I could have just assumed it was computer
network related.

BTW, before someone corrects me, the Omega system didn't technically
use antennas per se.

For long you live and high you fly
But only if you ride the tide
And balanced on the biggest wave
You race towards an early grave.

Posted to alt.home.repair

FromTheRafters formulated on Friday :
[...]

;-)

True, thanks. I assumed Wikipedia wouldn't be able to tell me which
application a person posting as was using it for.

Knowing what I know now, I could have just assumed it was computer network
related.

BTW, before someone corrects me, the Omega system didn't technically use
antennas per se.

Then what were those big tall structures, the tallest in their
countries, that were used by Omega to transmit their information for
many years :-?

--
John G Sydney.
Posted to alt.home.repair

John G pretended :
[...]

I was told by my instructors that they were *like* quarter wave
antennas, but were actually, technically, waveguide probes. I didn't
want another Omega tech to feel the need to correct me on such a minor
detail. They were usually referred to as antennas in the documentation,
so the distinction is not likely to be backed up by any Google search.

Google is often not a good way to separate generally widely accepted
opinion from fact. ;-)

For long you live and high you fly
But only if you ride the tide
And balanced on the biggest wave
You race towards an early grave.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/7/2015 3:23 AM, FromTheRafters wrote:
[...]

In addition to Thinnet, there was also Thicknet, these were mainly used
for Token Ring networks, to the best of my knowledge.

--
Froz...

Quando omni flunkus, moritati