Posted to alt.home.repair
bob haller bob haller is offline

Default Electrical Service for my new home

On Tuesday, August 4, 2015 at 5:38:50 PM UTC-4, Uncle Monster wrote:
On Tuesday, August 4, 2015 at 11:43:00 AM UTC-5, wrote:
On Mon, 3 Aug 2015 22:35:06 -0700 (PDT), Uncle Monster
wrote:

You can run Ethernet and a POTS line in the same cat5 cable if you ever want to extend your network to the trailer. Use 568B connections on network jacks on either end but pull out the brown pair for your POTS line in a phone jack. I did it a lot for commercial customers and it works very well. Strip about 4" of the jacket off the cable but keep the piece of jacket intact so you can slide it over the brown pair to run to a surface mount phone jack from the surface mount network jack. 4" should be enough length to allow the jacks to be mounted side by side. You don't have to use the jacket off the cat5 cable or even a piece of jacket off a regular 2 pair phone cable but it makes for a neater installation and protects the POTS line pair. On the 568B wiring, the orange and green pairs carry the Ethernet signal and the blue and brown pairs are not used unless it's a POE, Power Over Ethernet system. There is a chance that ringer voltage on the POTS line could cause interference on the
Ethernet but I've never had a problem with it. You could always use the other pairs for an intercom. Anyway, experiment and you can learn something new. ( ?? ?? ?? )

https://tinyurl.com/qg5wefl

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzhFr0m-Lk0

[8~{} Uncle Net Monster

Doesn't work with giabit ethernet though - THAT uses all pairs of
Cat5/Cat5e/Cat6 cable.

Of course not, 1gb network signals use 4 pairs, 10/100mb Ethernet uses 2 pairs meaning 2 pair are unused in a 4 pair cable unless there is power over Ethernet involved. A little research will show that in 568B wiring for a 10/100mb network, the orange and green pairs are what carry the data. The blue and brown pairs can be used for POE, Power Over Ethernet or even a second 10/100 network connection. I've often put 2 separate Ethernet feeds on one Cat5/6 cable or POTS and digital phone system feeds with one Ethernet signal on the same Cat5/6 cable. If I were installing new wiring for myself, I'd install Cat6, Cat6e or Cat6a cables which will handle the newer higher speed networks. I believe there may be some 10gb network equipment available now, I'd have to research it but I understand that speeds above 10gb are on the way for home and business networks. Anyway, research it and read as much as you can about networks and cabling to get a better understanding about the field. I have a lot of hands on experience so I usually know what works and what won't. à²*Œ£à²*

[8~{} Uncle Network Monster

ethernet ccable is so cheap i would run 2 cables, and have done that here. although most of the phone lines are unused.

at one time we had5 or 6 lines for different purposes