Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Progress report: Wall paper

After several years of complaints I agreed that we could replace the
wallpaper in the kitchen.

I'll be darned, it's 2PM and she has 3/4ths of the old stuff scraped off.

I went in there to help but she kicked me out.

She told me to come back at cleanup time.

When she's done with that I'll open up the walls and rewire as needed
then seal things back up. (Tomorrow)

I'll be hiring a friend to mud things properly and a professional
wallpaper hanger to put the paper up.

Had I known earlier she was going to roll up her sleeves and
help...maybe it would have gotten done sooner.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/3/2015 2:07 PM, philo wrote:
After several years of complaints I agreed that we could replace the
wallpaper in the kitchen.

I'll be darned, it's 2PM and she has 3/4ths of the old stuff scraped off.

I went in there to help but she kicked me out.

She told me to come back at cleanup time.

When she's done with that I'll open up the walls and rewire as needed
then seal things back up. (Tomorrow)

I'll be hiring a friend to mud things properly and a professional
wallpaper hanger to put the paper up.

Had I known earlier she was going to roll up her sleeves and
help...maybe it would have gotten done sooner.

If you're going to open up the walls, why take off the wallpaper? Won't
it come off when you open up the walls?

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

Muggles wrote:
On 8/3/2015 2:07 PM, philo wrote:
After several years of complaints I agreed that we could
replace the
wallpaper in the kitchen.

I'll be darned, it's 2PM and she has 3/4ths of the old
stuff scraped
off.

I went in there to help but she kicked me out.

She told me to come back at cleanup time.

When she's done with that I'll open up the walls and
rewire as needed
then seal things back up. (Tomorrow)

I'll be hiring a friend to mud things properly and a
professional
wallpaper hanger to put the paper up.

Had I known earlier she was going to roll up her sleeves
and
help...maybe it would have gotten done sooner.

If you're going to open up the walls, why take off the
wallpaper?
Won't it come off when you open up the walls?

SHHH, he's got the wife workin', don't spoil it : 0

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/3/2015 3:12 PM, ChairMan wrote:
Muggles wrote:
On 8/3/2015 2:07 PM, philo wrote:
[...]

ok sshhhhhhh

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

philo writes:

After several years of complaints I agreed that we could replace the
wallpaper in the kitchen.

I'll be darned, it's 2PM and she has 3/4ths of the old stuff scraped off.

I went in there to help but she kicked me out.

She told me to come back at cleanup time.

When she's done with that I'll open up the walls and rewire as needed
then seal things back up. (Tomorrow)

I'll be hiring a friend to mud things properly and a professional
wallpaper hanger to put the paper up.

Had I known earlier she was going to roll up her sleeves and
help...maybe it would have gotten done sooner.

I've sworn off wall paper.
I really don't like plain walls, but I don't like removal,
seams showing, peeling and rips either.

Now I've got a number of rooms done with sponge paint.
Very happy with the end result.
Very easy to do.
Gives the same visual interest as wall paper,
maybe more, since there are no repeats. Not hard to
touch up either.

--
Dan Espen

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, August 3, 2015 at 2:07:33 PM UTC-5, philo wrote:
After several years of complaints I agreed that we could replace the
wallpaper in the kitchen.

I'll be darned, it's 2PM and she has 3/4ths of the old stuff scraped off.

I went in there to help but she kicked me out.

She told me to come back at cleanup time.

When she's done with that I'll open up the walls and rewire as needed
then seal things back up. (Tomorrow)

I'll be hiring a friend to mud things properly and a professional
wallpaper hanger to put the paper up.

Had I known earlier she was going to roll up her sleeves and
help...maybe it would have gotten done sooner.

Don't forget the pictures. ( ͡ᵔ ͜ʖ ͡ᵔ )

[8~{} Uncle Wallpaper Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 08/03/2015 02:16 PM, Muggles wrote:

Had I known earlier she was going to roll up her sleeves and
help...maybe it would have gotten done sooner.

If you're going to open up the walls, why take off the wallpaper? Won't
it come off when you open up the walls?

I'm just opening up three small sections.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 08/03/2015 03:12 PM, ChairMan wrote:

Had I known earlier she was going to roll up her sleeves
and
help...maybe it would have gotten done sooner.

If you're going to open up the walls, why take off the
wallpaper?
Won't it come off when you open up the walls?

SHHH, he's got the wife workin', don't spoil it : 0

If she is willing to roll up her sleeves and go to work what can I say.

I don't mind hard work but personally just do not want to remove
wallpaper...I hate doing work like that.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 08/03/2015 04:07 PM, Dan Espen wrote:

Now I've got a number of rooms done with sponge paint.
Very happy with the end result.
Very easy to do.
Gives the same visual interest as wall paper,
maybe more, since there are no repeats. Not hard to
touch up either.

I remodeled the kitchen mostly by myself 25 years ago.

Since I did not really do a great job and it lasted 25 years...that's
not too bad.

Since I'm now 66 years old this will be the last time I remodel this
kitchen. Even my wife agreed that when we are done that will be it.

In a few years I'll need a new roof...I better start saving now.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 08/03/2015 04:09 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:
On Monday, August 3, 2015 at 2:07:33 PM UTC-5, philo wrote:
After several years of complaints I agreed that we could replace the
wallpaper in the kitchen.

I'll be darned, it's 2PM and she has 3/4ths of the old stuff scraped off.

I went in there to help but she kicked me out.

She told me to come back at cleanup time.

When she's done with that I'll open up the walls and rewire as needed
then seal things back up. (Tomorrow)

I'll be hiring a friend to mud things properly and a professional
wallpaper hanger to put the paper up.

Had I known earlier she was going to roll up her sleeves and
help...maybe it would have gotten done sooner.

Don't forget the pictures. ( ͡ᵔ ͜ʖ ͡ᵔ )

[8~{} Uncle Wallpaper Monster

When my wife is all dressed up she is quite beautiful.

This is not a terribly flattering photo but I'm posting it anyway...
actually now that I think of it, hard work is pretty flattering after all.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xs0l46gv6e...paper.JPG?dl=0

Posted to alt.home.repair

philo writes:

[...]

Don't know what kind of comments you'll get, but looks like
a nice person. Wish you both happiness.

Now sponge paint those walls.

--
Dan Espen
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 08/03/2015 08:14 PM, Dan Espen wrote:

When my wife is all dressed up she is quite beautiful.

This is not a terribly flattering photo but I'm posting it anyway...
actually now that I think of it, hard work is pretty flattering after all.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xs0l46gv6e...paper.JPG?dl=0

Don't know what kind of comments you'll get, but looks like
a nice person. Wish you both happiness.

Now sponge paint those walls.

She is a very nice person for putting up with me...

anyway we already have the wallpaper and the contractor is hired.

I will be doing the re-wiring tomorrow. I'm going to replace as much of
the 1932 BX as I can and add a few more outlets...all on separate breakers.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/3/2015 7:13 PM, philo wrote:
On 08/03/2015 02:16 PM, Muggles wrote:

Had I known earlier she was going to roll up her sleeves and
help...maybe it would have gotten done sooner.

If you're going to open up the walls, why take off the wallpaper? Won't
it come off when you open up the walls?

I'm just opening up three small sections.

whew ... that makes more sense.

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, August 3, 2015 at 7:24:13 PM UTC-5, philo wrote:
[...]

The most attractive thing about your wife, she actually involved in working on home improvement. \ (€¢—¡€¢) /

[8~{} Uncle Homey Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 08/03/2015 10:13 PM, Muggles wrote:
On 8/3/2015 7:13 PM, philo wrote:
On 08/03/2015 02:16 PM, Muggles wrote:

Had I known earlier she was going to roll up her sleeves and
help...maybe it would have gotten done sooner.

If you're going to open up the walls, why take off the wallpaper? Won't
it come off when you open up the walls?

I'm just opening up three small sections.

whew ... that makes more sense.

Wall open in the kitchen and I removed the wiring from 1932

I am going to put a total of six sets of outlets in...each set with it's
own breaker.

The kitchen originally had a total of two outlets.

So the fridge, microwave, toaster, coffee maker and two other things can
all be on at once.

I am almost half done done...I got up early and am now taking a break.

Made one fortunate mistake though...instead of buying 14-2 wire I bought
14-3 so will have less wires to run and less of a mess.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 08/03/2015 10:42 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:

Had I known earlier she was going to roll up her sleeves and
help...maybe it would have gotten done sooner.

Don't forget the pictures. ( ͡ᵔ ͜ʖ ͡ᵔ )

[8~{} Uncle Wallpaper Monster

When my wife is all dressed up she is quite beautiful.

This is not a terribly flattering photo but I'm posting it anyway...
actually now that I think of it, hard work is pretty flattering after all.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xs0l46gv6e...paper.JPG?dl=0

The most attractive thing about your wife, she actually involved in working on home improvement. \ (€¢—¡€¢) /

[8~{} Uncle Homey Monster

She's working hard now as we speak...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/3/2015 7:13 PM, philo wrote:
[...]

Pictures of the progress?

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 03 Aug 2015 14:07:29 -0500, philo wrote:

Had I known earlier she was going to roll up her sleeves and
help...maybe it would have gotten done sooner.

Hush. You're giving away secrets
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/3/2015 7:13 PM, philo wrote:
On 08/03/2015 02:16 PM, Muggles wrote:

Had I known earlier she was going to roll up her sleeves and
help...maybe it would have gotten done sooner.

If you're going to open up the walls, why take off the wallpaper? Won't
it come off when you open up the walls?

I'm just opening up three small sections.

whew ... that makes more sense.

Wall open in the kitchen and I removed the wiring from 1932

I am going to put a total of six sets of outlets in...each set with it's
own breaker.

The kitchen originally had a total of two outlets.

So the fridge, microwave, toaster, coffee maker and two other things can
all be on at once.

I am almost half done done...I got up early and am now taking a break.

Made one fortunate mistake though...instead of buying 14-2 wire I bought
14-3 so will have less wires to run and less of a mess.

ooops kitchen circuits MUST BE 12 gauge wire, each with a 20 amp breaker

i prefer to run 12 2 with grounds it makes later troubleshooting easier

besides if you share the neutral it can overheat
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/3/2015 7:13 PM, philo wrote:
[...]

and dont forget GFCI each circuit. although i dont like GFCIs on refrigerator circuits.

fridgge should have its own dedicated circuit

and a dedicated circuit for the dishwasher.

and the garbage diisposal

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/3/2015 7:13 PM, philo wrote:
[...]

I put in 15 hours and am now too tired to take photos

Will write a note for tomorrow
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/3/2015 7:13 PM, philo wrote:
[...]

Possibly in your locality but when the last wiring job was inspected
they did not say anything about the 15 amp circuits in the kitchen.

i prefer to run 12 2 with grounds it makes later troubleshooting easier

besides if you share the neutral it can overheat

Posted to alt.home.repair

ooops kitchen circuits MUST BE 12 gauge wire, each with a 20 amp breaker

Possibly in your locality but when the last wiring job was inspected
they did not say anything about the 15 amp circuits in the kitchen.

i prefer to run 12 2 with grounds it makes later troubleshooting easier

besides if you share the neutral it can overheat

it makes sense many kitchen appliances are power hogs

i believe this is a NEC requirement

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 08/04/2015 10:11 PM, bob haller wrote:

ooops kitchen circuits MUST BE 12 gauge wire, each with a 20 amp breaker

Possibly in your locality but when the last wiring job was inspected
they did not say anything about the 15 amp circuits in the kitchen.

i prefer to run 12 2 with grounds it makes later troubleshooting easier

besides if you share the neutral it can overheat

it makes sense many kitchen appliances are power hogs

i believe this is a NEC requirement

I'm not going to change it now since the 15 amp wiring passed both an
electrical inspection and an insurance inspection.

The way I'm doing it, each appliance will have it's own breaker so I
will not over load anything.

The only thing I have to be sure of is that with the 14-3 ...to use
consecutive breakers so that the current in the neutral cannot exceed
rating.

The wiring had been done in 1932 so at least the old wiring is BX and
conduit. (as opposed to K&T)

Back in those days they did not pay attention to "neutral" and "hot"
so anything still on the original wiring (very little now) I will have
to check to make sure that when an overhead light is "off" that it is in
fact the "hot" wire that is switched.